Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Professional Detailing Education (long)

Posted by Christian Porter 
Professional Detailing Education (long)
June 26, 2005 10:25PM
<HTML>I recently attended Automotive Internationals PrepExcellence class and I wanted to share my experience with others who are in need of professional detailing education. For those who are considering starting a detailing business or would like to take their existing business to the next level should consider investing in professional detailing education as the small investment will pay for itself many times over.

For those that don't know yet I am in the midst of starting up an automotive services shop that will provide detailing along with maintenance and repair services. I have been detailing on the side for a number of years but all my knowledge was gained from watching others and learning through various forums such as this one.

I am starting out with a full time and part-time detailer. Both of these employees (like most detailers) have never had true professional detailing education so I decided that all of us would attend a class that would teach us the kinds of things you can't learn on your own.

My research uncovered numerous options for detailing education. To help narrow down my choices I decided that I would support only those business that demonstrated an unselfish commitment to helping others in the industry. This narrowed down the list quite a bit. In the end I decided to go with Automotive Internationals PrepExcellence class because of Ron Ketchum's considerable experience in the industry coupled with a desire to freely share his knowledge on a daily basis in the various web forums.

After having attended this class I can say that it was the best business investment I could have ever hoped for. My employees and I learned more in two days than I did in 4 years of learning on my own. I came away from the class with the feeling that now I can truly provide expert care when taking care of my customer's vehicles.

For those who are looking to really separate themselves from the competition do yourself and your business a favor and find a good class to attend that will teach you what you can't learn on your own. Only then can you truly call yourself a professional detailer.

Thanks,
Christian Porter
Everest AutoWorks and AutoSpa</HTML>
Re: Professional Detailing Education (long)
June 27, 2005 02:15AM
<HTML>There was talk about PDTA members getting a break awhile back but so far ??????????</HTML>

Superior Shine-Covina, Ca.

Please join me in giving thanks to our men and women who serve in the name of our freedom and cannot be home with their families. Please include them in your prayers.
June 27, 2005 02:30AM
<HTML>Christian Porter

I took the prep. excel class back in 2001 and it was great. I hear it is a thousand times better now...</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
June 27, 2005 06:19PM
<HTML>Agreed. I attended in 2002 I think and it was great. Anything you can learn is worth the price. The most valuable thing to attain through education is the confidence from knowing what you are doing. Customers can tell there is a difference between you and "Johhny Punchclock" down the street when you can explain what the problem areas are and how to properly correct them. It also allows you to charge a fair price for what you are doing.</HTML>

June 28, 2005 02:23AM
<HTML>Scott,
I think you make a great point about being able to charge a fair price after receiving professional education. In every profession those that demonstrate expertise and experience get to charge a fairer price for their services.

My primary objective in taking Ketch's class was so I could make more money doing what I love doing. He and Tim showed me at least a dozen techniques that will help me and my employees detail a vehicle in half the time it was taking me before. Now I can do twice the amount of work in the same amount of time and charge more for each job in the process.

I hope the lurkers on this forum and those that are considering really making a go at detailing full time will seriously consider signing up for a class.</HTML>

Christian Porter
Everest AutoSpa
Newark, Delaware
June 28, 2005 09:52PM
<HTML>great topic ,i was trying to decide if i should try and hit a school this year and i narrowed it down to prep excellence or kevin farrells kleen kar in new jersey but i think you guys just closed the deal.</HTML>
June 29, 2005 01:34AM
<HTML>In line with this discussion of professional education I have always believed in this philosopy:

From KNOWLEDGE
comes CONFIDENCE, and
from that comes ENTHUSIASM

The detail customer is a very perceptive customer and they know when a detailer has the knowledge about what they are doing because they see your confidence and enthusiasm.

I can't tell you the number of times customers in my detail shops said to me, "you're the owner aren't you?' When I asked how they knew they just smiled.

Even today when I speak to customers of DETAIL PLUS they will ask me the same question.

When you have the knowledge you are truly confident in what you are doing and that shows in your enthusiasm for what you are doing.

No one is more obvious than a "ten cent millionaire." And that is what a lot of detailers are in terms of having the knowledge they need to win the customer's business.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login