water spots!
June 29, 2005 09:32PM
<HTML>how do you remove water spots on a red car?</HTML>
Re: water spots!
June 30, 2005 12:08AM
<HTML>
Water Spots:
There are two categories of water spots;
a) Surface water spots-alkaline watermarks (water spots) are calcium and magnesium salts that deposit on the surface after the water has evaporated, the minute crystals bond to the surface and are not re-dissolvable in water. Rainwater also contains alkaline minerals that alight on the paint film surface and as the water evaporates leave white `water spots' on both the paint and glass surfaces.

b) Below surface (etched) water spots- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark.
Etched water spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them. (See also Industrial fall out (IFO) and Acid rain)

1a) Removing surface water spots from paint film surface-
Methodology
•Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
•To dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
1) 2:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar
2) Distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
3) Equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
•Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton micro fibre cloth to apply the solution to the paint surface
•Wipe off any residue from the paint surface and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface, for stubborn spots use an abrasive polish as in (1b)
•For stubborn water spots use Auto International's A, B, C System, a safe alkaline wash and neutralizing system (http://www.autoint.com/)

1b) Removing etched water (below surface) spots from paint-
Methodology
•These can be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits
•Then using a machine polish, Iz einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz einzett TM Paint Polish and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface
•Work on a very small area at a time (2-foot x 2-foot) until the polish has run out
•Repeat this process two or three times, as necessary
•Reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
June 30, 2005 11:51AM
<HTML>Just to add to Jon's advice, the amount of Dwell Time is an important consideration. For example, ValuGard's ABC System requires SEVEN minutes of contact. Simply wiping the surface with vineagar probably won't do much.

Jim</HTML>

&quot;If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it.&quot;
July 02, 2005 07:03AM
<HTML>I've had great success with distilled white vinegar myself.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 04, 2005 03:35PM
<HTML>Tried this product to-day work really well on surface water spots-

This glass cleaner (Glass Scrub™) removes insect smear, road oils, mineral deposits, lime scale, tree sap and more. A heavy-duty, cream cleanser that deep cleans auto glass safely and effectively without strong acids, alkalis, phosphates or solvents. It is specifically formulated to clean glass without scratching. The best time to use Glass Scrub is after you've washed the car but before you dry it. The glass must still be wet. I apply a small amount of product on a folded Glass Cleaning Cloth rubbing the glass in circular motions making sure to apply to all areas thoroughly. Flip the cloth to a clean dry surface and rub again. [properautocare.com]
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
July 04, 2005 07:36PM
<HTML>Per Anthony Orosco's tip,

I tried Valugard's Cerious Compound on a windshield to spruce it up. I didn't use a Cyclo but rather a rotary with a white LC polishing pad at no more than 1200 RPM. The windshield seemed to gain more brightness and clarity.

This must be attributed to the compound's cerium oxide, which especially in optical grade, is used to polish glass.

I bet this may do a good job on such polluted windows.</HTML>

Nothing is good enough.There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login