Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Too young to start a small detailing business?

Posted by Detailing Trainee 
Too young to start a small detailing business?
June 30, 2005 03:56AM
<HTML>I'm currently a college student looking for a way out of my boring coffee job. I was thinking of starting to detail cars, since I love spending a lot of time making a car look good. Do I need alot of money to start a small detail business? I do have a van, so I could just go mobile. Please could you guys give me any advice if you think I'd just be a flop and should keep my day job.. or should I go for it and study the business some more? I live in west LA and I already see a few mobile detailing businesses...Thanks for any input.

PS. If theres already a thread like this, a link would be greatly appreciated.</HTML>
Dan
Re: Too young to start a small detailing business?
June 30, 2005 06:57PM
<HTML>Nobody is to young to start a mobile detailing business. I was 15 when I started my business, Im 25 years old now and have a legitimate operation with solid clients. Of course you need to do your research and make sure the products and methods you use will be effective. This forum is a good place to look. I service the Palos Verdes area and their are plenty of cars in Los Angeles to detail, so dont worry about demand, because its there. Good luck to you!

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
July 01, 2005 01:32AM
<HTML>Best advice I can offer is aproach it as a real business from the start, put together a written plan and make it work. Dont run in with a passion for cars and detailing and then try to figure out how to run a business. Do your homework and make it work !!</HTML>
July 01, 2005 01:14PM
<HTML>Trainee; Email Bud Abraham @ Detailplus, Ron Ketchum Auto Int Cinn, Ohio, Brian Angelucci and Jim Hammell. These guys can get you started off right. If you aren't careful you'll be spending unwanted dollars that you do-not have, just trying this, that, and the other. Bud and Ron both have great products.
I don't know what part of the country you are located, but attend Auto International "Prep Excellence Class". I been told that its the best monies that anyone can spend in getting into, or improving the business that you already may have.

The above mentioned folks have done all of the home work,so you can believe what they tell you, from the "Git-Go". Don't deviate from what info they give you and you should be successful from the start.
Be sure to document and keep good records,and never deviate from record keeping...................... Brandy !</HTML>
July 02, 2005 06:56AM
<HTML>What are you strudying in college? Juggling full time classes and a business can be very tough. I'm back in school full time and detailing full time as well.

Luckily I took my basic business courses when I first started college so I know what it takes to create a business plan; do book work and taxes; customer relations; sales; etc.

Do you have any formal training in detailing? I know of some great programs to attend if you're willing to go out beyond.

Goodluck!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 02, 2005 07:00AM
<HTML>Forgot to add, you're never to young to go in business. Maybe to young to get into binding contracts but never to young to make a buck. I started detailing part time when I was 18 years old in high school and ten years later it still going strong -- very strong. Before I did detailing, when I was 15 years old I bred mice for the local pet store -- got $.50 cents a piece. I produced several hundred mice and made a nice buck. Not bad entrepreneuring for a teenager!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 08, 2005 01:20AM
<HTML>Thank you for all the advice everyone. I'm going to really study detailing for the next months, and also the business side of it before I do anything risky with my money. Also thanks Eric, I'll trying giving those guys an e-mail asking for more advice. Im studying engineering, but business has really gotten my attention the last year. I'll try taking some business management classes in the next quarter. I still have decide what I really want to do. Thanks again for the help and you'll see me around in the forums!</HTML>
July 08, 2005 02:43AM
<HTML>James:

Contact me at 1-800/284-0123 I think I can offer you some incites into starting a detail business.

What type of engineering are you studying? A friend of mine years back graduated from Oregon State University a reknowned engineering school, in what was called Industrial Engineering which is a combo of engineering and business.

However, he ended up going to Law School and practiced law for years.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login