Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bird Dropping Resedue

Posted by Brian Cappabianca 
Bird Dropping Resedue
August 10, 2005 02:45PM
<HTML>Hello

I am in ohio and it has been hot here recently. i had a bird leave me a present on my car. i could not get to it right away and whe i washed it this morning it left a horrible hazy on the car. Is there any way to get rid of this.

If any one knows please contact me at one of the following

Messengers:
---------------------
Aol Im : mrski22

Yahoo : mrski24

Msn: mrski22@hotmail.com

E-Mail:
-------------
mrski22@gmail.com

thanks alot to whom ever replys</HTML>

Brian
Re: Bird Dropping Resedue
August 11, 2005 11:25PM
<HTML>Bird Excrement:
(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, bees, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid) which if left for any length of time the will cause the clear coat to occlude, (a non-transparent clouded area) and / or etch a depression in the paint or glass surfaces, so they should be removed without delay. Birds use gravel to digest their food and grit and sand are some of the major components. Insect honeydew (sometimes mistaken for tree resin) excreted by aphids or scale insects that infest the leaves and branches is also acidic. Residue should be removed (see below) as soon as possible as it could compromise the clear coat.

The paint system is porous; when you add water and heat to an acidic substance it will erode the clear/paint system very quickly (the heat opens microscopic fissures in the paint allowing ingress, the water provides a carrier system for the acid).

Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed and/or neutralized as quickly as possible. Using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) or a non-ammonia based (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) glass cleaner, apply to effected surface and let dwell for 2-3 minutes, once the residue has liquefied it should be carefully removed (birds eat grit to help them digest there food, which can cause scratching) and then flush with water to rinse away any grit / sand / etc, or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, then re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry. Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain carnauba wax, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate.

Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection. The paint surface should be periodically neutralized (See also Corrosion) also check out autopoint.com website

Stains- Meguiar’s ScratchX used with a terry cloth applicator should remove ‘ingrained’ excrement stains; this will require repeated applications until stain(s) are no longer visible.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement (Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable Carnauba wax product) this will provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface.</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login