Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

To polish or not to polish. That is the question

Posted by Keith Kirvan 
To polish or not to polish. That is the question
May 24, 2002 12:28AM
Another rookie chiming in...Should I be using polish on every car I detail?
And is it needed as an all over application, or only in certain areas?
So far, I have only been washing and then using a cleaner/wax.
They look great, but if it can look better, then bring it.
MY SUGGESTION,USE THE POLISH TO ENHANCE THE SHINE OF YOUR CARS AFTER A COAT OF WAX IF NEEDED.USE A LIQUID POLISH LIKE SHOWROOM SHINE OR EAGLE ONE....USE A SOFT MICRO-FIBER TOWEL TO BRING THAT SHINE RIGHT ON OUT !!!!!

Re: To polish or not to polish. That is the question
May 24, 2002 05:23AM
If you use the polish AFTER the wax, you will remove the wax & it's protective coating. A 'pure' polish has NO protection benefits and MUST be followed by a wax or sealant.

As for: "Should I be using polish on every car I detail?"

Personally I do. Most of the cars that I detail (other than my own) do not see regular waxing, so by the time they get to me, they are in dire need of a heavy wash followed by a good all over polishing prior to waxing.

My recommendations for a first time detail are:

#1 A heavy wash with a strong solution of dish soap (I like AJAX) and water.

# 2 After washing, rinse the car, then one panel at a time, apply more soapy water and clay the finish. When the whole car has been clayed, follow with a second heavy wash with a fresh bucket of dish soap/water solution.

#3 Use a pure polish (I like Meguairs #3 and #7) and go over the entire car (all painted surfaces).

#4 Apply the wax/sealant of your choice (I'm partial to synthetics...Finish First, Zaino).

#5 Use a 'quick detail' product (preferably one by the same company that makes the wax/sealant youjust used) and "dust" the car's finish.

#6 Sit back and watch the customer's eyes pop out when they see the results.

NOTE: At least in my case, when I am first done with a car, I have a hard time judging the end results of my detailing...simply because I've been staring at the damn car for a few hours by then. I have to walk away, and "forget" what the car looks like to see just how much I have improved the finish.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Don M question on synthetic sealant/wax
May 24, 2002 04:09PM
Don:

You have stated your preference for synthetics. In principle Im with you but I have heard that while the properties of these products tent to be great their durability and life expetacy is quite short lived compared to carnuba and other waxes.

Would appreciate if you could share your experience on how long typically you might expect the finishes to remain effecitve before reapplication and any other high or low points to look for on the synthetic products.

I really appreacite your careful, planned approach to the subjects you comment on.

Take care
Re: Don M question on synthetic sealant/wax
May 25, 2002 06:20AM
After using Finish First, and Zaino and comparing it to Mothers Pure Carnuaba, Liquid Glass (a mineral base, not a synthetic), and various Meguairs products, I can say that the two synthetics coat for coat, will easily outlast the best of the regular waxes/sealants.

Want proof? Prep the whole car (heavy wash, clay & 2nd heavy wash). On 1/2 of the car, follow the proper steps for an application of a carnuaba wax (polish followed by two coats of carnuaba). On the second half of the car, follow the procedure for the synthetic (FF= 1 coat of Finish Prep & 2 coats of Finish First Polish) (Zaino= light coat of Z-1 followed by 2 coats of Z-2 or Z-5 OR 2 coats of Z-2/Z-5 with the ZFX accelerator).

Then simply maintain the car as usual. You will quickly see that the side with the synthetic maintains it's appearance & smoothness longer.

One of the upsides is that you use very little synthetic compared to standard wax to cover the same size area (one ounce of Zaino will give my cavalier two full coats).

The downside is that the synthetics cost more than regular waxes. But if you take into consideration the superior protection of the synthetics, the added cost is negligible (I use full synthetic engine oil too).

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
May 25, 2002 11:30AM
i polish every car,it is the polish that give the paint,here's a big word, reflectivity,not the wax,wax is for protection,polish the car than wax save the cleaner wax for the jambs
mike at the shine shop
May 25, 2002 03:52PM
Thanks again Don:

One last question I have is regarding you maintenance program using synthetic sealant. I have been seriously contempating making the swithc and the information you have been providing on the board regarding zaino and the likes have been very helpful to me in making the decision.

What sort of application frequency and program do you use to maintain exterior appearance to meet your high personal standards.

For me my goal is much the same to achieve max protection and apperance. I am prepared to take the time it need to do the job right and already put significant time into a multi step program I have established using Mothers Carnuba. (Weekly regular maintain of finish with a spray quick detailer product and reapplication of the process every 3 months min ).

On that note as well, when using the synthetic do you can you maintain with any spray detail products and if so what have you found is the best so far.

The cost considerations as well for me is a minimal concern and easily justified, when a high cost long lasting finish produt is compared to the cost of my initial purchase of my truck. When the apperance and protection end results are there it will help maintian value hands down and over time will keep the saleability and real value of the unit to its highest potential.
May 25, 2002 04:59PM
Like I've said before, I can get pretty anal. I will recoat the car once a week if I can get away with it. As for the quick detailer, I would use the product made by the same company that makes your sealant/wax (product compatability).

I use the quick detailer after every wash. Once the car has been washed and dried, I use the quick detailer as that finishing touch to make sure that car is as close to perfect as I can get it.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login