Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cost

Posted by Keith Johnston 
Cost
September 23, 2005 01:51AM
<HTML>What is a realistic Cost for startup..Dont be shy im not a pro im just talking getting supplies to do maybe 20 cars initially and go from thier. HIT ME</HTML>

WHAT!!! I MISSED A SPOT....How can that be im doing the car next to yours smiling smiley
Re: Cost
September 23, 2005 04:22AM
<HTML>again, do a search. Reggie</HTML>
September 23, 2005 05:59AM
<HTML>COuld u be a bit less cryptic and a bit more helpful?</HTML>

WHAT!!! I MISSED A SPOT....How can that be im doing the car next to yours smiling smiley
September 23, 2005 11:50AM
<HTML>mobile or fixed location?

If you use the search feature on this site and use terms like 'start-up' etc you could get some idea. As a mobile detailer I laid out close to $17,500 to get started and that was without a truck. I am sure there are some hacks out there who went to Pep BOys or Auto Zone and were 'in business' for a few hundred dollars.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
September 23, 2005 08:38PM
<HTML>All depends on how serious you are about this and the services you are providing. You need a Truck or Van then about $3500 for equipment (pressurewasher, generator, wetdry vac, buffers) then you have to decide if you want an extractor (700 min) canopy (680 min) trailer (3000 min). Then you need to find a good supplier and figure out how many chemicals you need based on your services, probably around $500 minimum. Then you need a good amount for marketing (most overlooked part). You could spend $100 and be in business or $20,000 and be in business, there is no specific answer. Plan out exactly what you are going to do and dont overlook anything when it comes to startup costs.

With gas prices the way they are, and the way they seem to be going, you may want to think twice.</HTML>
September 24, 2005 05:24AM
<HTML>it cost me about $3000 shop tools and signs with little advertising....</HTML>
September 24, 2005 03:15PM
<HTML>Keith

In all seriousness it depends on what you want to spend. You can be in the detailing business for the cost of a shop vacuum; buffer; chemicals, brushes, pads and some towels.

That is not an being funny. Most detail shops do not have an extractor nor a pressure washer.

You tell me what you want to spend or can afford to spend and I can tell you what you can afford to have to start up your business.

But keep in mind you need operating capital too.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAILPLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
September 24, 2005 05:23PM
<HTML>Ah thx bud I appreciate your candor and honesty. I currently work 14 hours a day driving truck and I see SOOO many cars out thier that would Look awesome with some love. I was kind of planning on starting out slow at first doing saturdays and kind of getting the hang of how things work. The thing is IM NOT going into full detailing.. Let me explain.

IM thinking of starting with just the OUTSIDE of the car with different options .
(1) Basic wash and dry with detailing of tires and rims.
(2) Wash and dry with Rims and wax Job with good quality product(still researching so many to chose from). Mine will will be done by hand as Im not NEar competent enough to use a maching and knowing me Ill burn the car down before i was done.

I wanted to start here at this level before I Jump into the whole fray and get an feel for time vs profit . Most of my area of work is within 10 miles any direction as I live in a small city of 120,000 people but it is very tightly knit.

So shop vacum and buffer are not needed at first. Now im not trying to be a hack and do a hack job and I know that the best is with good equipment but one has to learn one thing before he trys to learn another. I know a buffer greatly increases the speed and which one can polish a wax Job and remove/fix/fill etc.

In essence im trying to get a feel for the whole process of selling ones self and how people view my work. If i get positive feedback and more referrals I will endeavour to Get more professional about more of the business. This is going to be Mobile using customers water so I dont need portability yet.

Also im aiming for the middle class not the high class cars at first as I am New to this and Dont want to try a 2006 Ferrari lol. Id have to pass.

Anyways just kind of where I am coming from.

I was thinking of investiing $300 for initial product/towels/waxes cleaners and going from thier. Building up inventory is related to customer response and satisfaction. Makes no sense to but $1000 bucks worth of product if it isnt going to pan out.

Sincerly
Keith</HTML>

September 25, 2005 08:11PM
<HTML>Keith:

With all due respect, what you are suggesting is not what could be called a detail business but more of a car wash business that might offer a hand wax.

Applying tire dressing is something most all automatic carwashes do either by hand or with an automatic dressing applicator.

Are you going to do this business mobile or at some location? In either case you are going to be discharging waste water on to the ground or into the storm sewer which, you might want to know, is illegal by virtue of the Federal Clean Water Act. Depending on where you are located you might be able to "get away" with this illegal discharge, but then again you might not.

To be legal you need some type of containment system to contain the water which might take up your entire $300 budget in itself.

Do you plan to use a pressure washer or just a hose?

Don't get too worked up about a wax, most any wax from anyone of the major detail supply companies will be good to use.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
September 25, 2005 08:47PM
<HTML>After I re read what I said ID have to agree. At first im not going for the ultimate detailing side but more of the Car wash side with some detailing included. I have done loads of research sitting here on the internet reading literally loads of articles expousing different products and the micacles they supposedly profess to do. Amazing how many blatant lies are about just to sell product.

Clean water act...I doubt they have much idea what that is around here and as for washing a car in a driverway no mater what you do to it thier is no enforcement whatsover. It might not be right /legal but up here they are 10 years behind the times.

Automatic tire dressing applicators at car washers up here dont work or are so expensive and are an extra people dont use them. Truth is people up here love to see a polished car but most are seemingly to busy working to want to put the effort and time into them In fact I dont even see a mobile anything in my phone book for what I am planning to do. You see we have HIGH class and LOW class no Middle class around here. Such is the area I live in.

I have though been looking for a good source for the following and have been experimenting with different products on my car. Since I know you sell these things I will be looking at your web site to see what I might want to get samples of and try them. I do beleive you said that your chemist had come up with an excellent tire cleaner and polish.

Thanks for all your input
Keith</HTML>

September 26, 2005 05:21AM
<HTML>I run a service like the one you want to start, although I spent a lot more on equipment and I have employees that do the work. I have seen guys start with a tank and a small pressure washer and actually make an ok living. Most of our work comes from office buildings. It's the easiest place to get a few cars in one location, and once you get a good office you can usually go back every week or two and get regulars. Six or seven offices and you have yourself a nice low overhead income!

Chuck</HTML>
September 27, 2005 04:02AM
<HTML>You know that is exactly my thinking. We have a close packed town and me being in a parking Lot with my business name splashed all over the vehicle and like easy access for flyers I think is a good idea. IM still trying to learn the basics of it all myself and since its my own vehicle im doing it on IM trying all kinds of stuff while reading the forums. Amazing how something reads so simple yet I forgot/

E.G Wipe down wheel dressing before driving..I didnt and their went the wash job sigh.

Some things ya learn the hardway but better on my own car they others</HTML>

Re: Cost Hey Keith
November 20, 2005 11:12PM
<HTML>
I too am trying to get into this business slowly and build from there.

Its been almost 2 mos since your initial post.
I was curious, how it has been coming along? Hope to hear good things.</HTML>
April 24, 2009 04:18PM
I had somewhere around $2000 in starting my NON mobile detailing busiess and that was with buying all industrial products in bulk....no trips to pep boys. I DID NOT purchase an extractor, a local business rents them at a very reasonable rate so I opted for that to cut down on overhead. My situation is a bit unique, however. I was given a large shop to work in my an older man still running a service station that just happens to be next door to the town car wash. I had known this man my whole life as my grandfather is currently in his 46th year of employment with him as a mechanic. So like I said I only had about $2000 start up invested but this was without any vehicle, extractor, or vehicle expense, and I did not go mobile or purchase my own power washer. I don't mind plugging quarters into the good old car wash. I have turned VERY good profits with this method and don't plan on changing anything.
May 01, 2009 03:32AM
KustomKlean 7

As my mother used to say, " Anyone can do something the usual way but it takes thinking and effort to find a cheaper or more efficient way to do it ".

Kudos for keeping your costs down while getting the job done !

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login