Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

tire dressings

Posted by big ab 
tire dressings
September 24, 2005 05:33AM
<HTML>Do you know of any better dressing than Ardex speedy. i have tryed the new ult dress they have. speedy is $18 a gallon and ultdress is $35 and can be dilluted.
big ab georgetown ky</HTML>
Re: tire dressings
September 24, 2005 03:12PM
<HTML>For anyone interested, my chemist has just formulated a water based dressing for interiors, engines and tires that has the most fantastic shine I have ever seen.

I am not sure how he did it, but in my 25 years in the business I have never seen a formula like this. It is too shiny for interiors, but if you wipe it on and then wipe it with a towel you get a great non-glare satin finish.

Would be happy to provide no charge samples if you pay the freight.

Let me know.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Dan
September 26, 2005 04:34AM
<HTML>Bud,

Is it a water/silicone emulsion? Im trying to figure a way to formulate a dressing without the emulsifier and water. My reason is because EVERY single water/silicone emulsion dressing Ive used, turns black trim white or fades the trim after some time. This is causing some frustration, because we have to use Meguars tire endurance on all trim to avoid the staining, since this product is basically pure silicone oil with some fragrance, it has no emulsifier and water to turn white. But it takes too much time to apply this product, I wish it were possible to spray.

Do you have the MSDS handy for your product?

Thanks,
Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
September 26, 2005 03:09PM
<HTML>Dan:

Thanks for the question. There are some dressings/protectants that do not utilize water-based silicone emulsions, nor solvent silicones but they are typically not used by detailers and were formulated for bodyshop environments.

We used to offer a product that was something similiar to "liquid-latex" in that it was water-based, non-silicone and dried to a nice lustre. The problem was that if you did not rinse off the applicator immediately it dried the applicator as hard as a rock, and there was a problem if you got any on other parts of the car.

Last year, you might remember we introducted a Trim and Tire Glaze which was similiar to Trimonex and sent out numerous samples, but no one, at least on this forum and few purchased any.

Have you tried Trimonex? That might meet your needs.

As for your assumption that the dressing is fading the trim, I doubt that very much. There is nothing in a water-based silicone that should do that. It seems to me that the trim was going to fade or turn white anyway and your applying the dressing should not have caused that, chemically speaking anyway.

Again your comment about Meguiar's dressing having no "emulsfier" in it may be incorrect also. It is my understanding that an emulsion refers to a combination of ingredients that "stay suspended" and do not separate.

What is pure silicone oils?

Sorry I could not be of more help, but I am not a chemist and have been out of the country the past week and no contact with our chemists. I will try and get some information on this for you from more informed sources.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Dan
September 26, 2005 04:04PM
<HTML>Bud,
Thanks for your post. If I remember correctly from my last conversation with my chemist friend, emulsifier allows the silicone oil to be thinned with water, and when mixed together the emulsifier and water combo causes the product to turn white every time.

This white residue is whats causing my trim to stain white. The problem is gone after applying dressing, but in 1-2 weeks the stains are back.

Silcone oils come in different boiling points and at different costs. It is the backbone of almost all dressings water based or solvent based. The emulsifier thins the silicone oil while allowing you to add water. In other words, you are correct when you said,"It is my understanding that an emulsion refers to a combination of ingredients that "stay suspended" and do not separate", the emulsifier allows the silicone oil to be thinned with water and "stay suspended" otherwise if silicone oil and water alone are mixed, they would be seperate.

Im trying to get my buddy to create a dressing that will thin silicone oil without the use of emulsifier and water. Most likely the silicone oil will have to be broken down by means of solvents, finding a combo that will not harm trim is the hard part, and it will add cost to produce. I will keep you posted.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
September 26, 2005 04:24PM
<HTML>Dan,

That would be our Trim and Molding dressing, but we do not recommend it for tires as it has a percentage of hydrocarbon solvent in it.

It is CARB compliant though.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
September 27, 2005 06:04AM
<HTML>I have used Meguiars #38 trim dressing for years and never had a "turning white" problem.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
October 04, 2005 01:32AM
<HTML>Super dress it from Auto Magic. 21.95 a gallon and can be diluted about 3-1 and still get a very nice shine. Not all thick and goopy either. Very smooth product. The ULT from Ardex is a very shiney product but does tend to be very sticky. Auto Magic also makes dress it right. It is not as dilutable as super, but it lasts longer and has a nice shine straight or 50/50. It is 15.95 per gallon. Those are prices through local distributor. It may vary with your local distributor.</HTML>
October 05, 2005 01:53AM
<HTML>I just started using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing and really like the different looks I can get with it . It's a water based product that delutes up to 4 to 1. spray or wipe on. I was using Ardex ULT and some others . ULT is nice but just to expensive.</HTML>

Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login