Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why is Simple Green leaving streaks?

Posted by Keith Kirvan 
Why is Simple Green leaving streaks?
May 25, 2002 02:16PM
It's me again.
I heard so many good things about Simple Green that I bought some.
But now I notice that wherever I use it, it leaves streaks behind. Streaks that almost need to be buffed off.
Is this normal?
Thanks to everyone in this forum
Keith
Re: Why is Simple Green leaving streaks?
May 25, 2002 02:36PM
No it's not normal. I can think of a few reasons why it is streaking on you.

1 You are letting it dry on the surface
2 There is still dirt/grease on the suface you are cleaning
3 You are using too strong a mixture for the job you are trying to do
4 You are not rinsing the surface completely
5 If you are using it as a glass cleaner, it has to be a VERY, VERY WEAK mixture

I very rarely use Simple Green full strength, it's not necessary. When I use it on wheels/tires, I will often spray it on and let it soak for a few minute. Often it will dry on the surface, but I always respray the area before scrubbing, then rinse thoroughly. Too, I usually 'flood' the brush I am using with water before & during scrubbing, the extra water helps wash away dirt/grime.

If I happen to be using the Simple Green as a car wash, I only mix an ounce or two for about three gallons of water. I wash the car normally, but I make extra sure the Simple Green solution doesn't dry on the surface.

If you would tell me what you are using it on & how you are using it, I should be able to tell you exactly why it's streaking.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
May 25, 2002 02:57PM
Sure Don, I'll tell you how I use it. I probably should have in the original message.
I was using it (Simple Green Automotive in it's own spray bottle) as my all purpose cleaner.
I was using it on grills, door jambs, and like, the plastic, for lack of a better word, ground effects on the lower half of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. (I'm sure you know the area I am talking about)
I was just spraying it on, and wiping it off. I guess on the plastic, it did a good job, but anytime it came in contact with paint or chrome, it would leave streaks.
I hope this explains it a little better.
May 25, 2002 03:05PM
Yes, that explains a lot. Simple Green is not a spray on-wipe off product. It is a soap/detergent and MUST be rinsed off.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
May 25, 2002 03:07PM
Ah!!! I did not know that.
SO, you use Simple Green before the wash?
Is there a product I can use for the areas I was talking about? Something that doesn't need to be rinsed off?
May 25, 2002 04:54PM
For chrome parts that have already been cleaned & just need a wipe down with something to 'finish them off,' glass cleaner is a simple, cheap option. Spray on, buff off. For the paint, using a quick detail product will remove the smears left by the Simple Green that gets on the paint when you wipe down the plastic.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
May 26, 2002 05:02PM
There are lots rubber/ platic part dressing products on the market .They are not cleaners but more protectants and apperance maintainers. You would still need wash the areas using a suitable detergent.

The maintiners also have different products for interior and exterior use. Most work quite well but once you beging to use them you are pretty much bound to reapply on a regular basis.
June 02, 2002 01:22PM
I detailed a Mazda MPV yesterday, and this white mini van had horrible amounts of bugs all over the front of it. I found that the simple green saved me alot of time taking these Florida bugs off! The few streaks were removed after I waxed & polished.
June 02, 2002 04:40PM
Florida bugs! Oh man they have these darn thing called "love bugs" that are totally nasty! My wife is from FL and I used to drive there alot when we were dating and I HATED getting those darn things on my paint because they can actually etch the paint in just a days time. If you dont wash those stupid bugs off as soon as they hit you it can really be disaster. We are actually driving down there next week to visit her family and I am taking all my chemicals with me to clean, polish, and wax it while im there just so I dont have any more of those pesky love bug marks on my hood ever again! lol Besides, when we go down there I always do the Mother-inlaws car anyway because im out of the house AND she actually is almost nice to me when its done. lol

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login