Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Friends, Neighbors and other freeloaders

Posted by Keith Boyer 
Friends, Neighbors and other freeloaders
November 13, 2005 11:58PM
<HTML>Does anyone here have those family, friends and neighbors who are always asking to borrow chemicals, buffers and tons of free advice? I have a neighbor who has asked so many times to get his show cars buffed and polished with the promise of free beer. Haven't seen that beer yet! Buffed three of his cars so far. I have brother in law to be who is constantly just taking chems out of my truck wihtout asking and never returning them and another neighbor who forgot how to say 'Thank you' whenever he needs a shop vac or leather conditioner. Just venting a bit but these type of people are just clueless about what we do and how hard we work. How do you guys deal with this? Does this happen to you? From now on I am going to have to do the "Sorry no more free sh*t for you!"</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
Re: Friends, Neighbors and other freeloaders
November 14, 2005 12:49AM
<HTML>Keith:

As they say, "if it happens once, shame on them."

If it happens a second time, "shame on you."

You have pegged these people right, they are freeloaders and do not even think that your service and your supplies are your way of making a living. They are only looking out for their own self-interest.

What you need to do the next time they ask for a free service is simply tell them this is the way you make a living and you must charge them for any service or product they want. No explanations, nothing more.

If those using your service or products own a business, then turn it around and ask them for FREE services or products from their business and see what they say.

We have a cafe resturant across from our carwash that sells a nice lunch dish for about $6.95. When we go there for lunch they are always asking for a FREE wash token. What my partner says is, "OK, no problem, you give me the lunch for FREE and I will give you a carwash for FREE."

That shuts them up pretty quick.

You have to set your boundaries and do not let people cross them. Once clearly set, if you let them cross them it is your fault, not theirs.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
November 14, 2005 01:59AM
<HTML>Just shoot them!!! NO JUST KIDDING. If this is your way to bring home to bacon then they must pay some fee for your services family or not. Now if you offer it's one thing, but if they ask you it's still a service, cost of product your time and plus labor factor that hourly rate and hit them up for the $$$$</HTML>
November 14, 2005 06:17AM
<HTML>Personally, I dont sell to my family or friends. Makes it much easier. Unless of course i owe them something. When someone i know asks me what i do, i tell them I run an Auto Detailing business and leave it at that. No business card, no pitch, no nothing. They get the hint.</HTML>
November 14, 2005 01:43PM
<HTML>I feel your pain!

Try having a large Tech and Training Center, that all your friends, their friends, know about.

Now days, I let a few select friends know when they can bring their vehicles, usually on a long holiday weekend to the Center.

I require that at least 3 and no more than 4 come at the same time.

Then I "tell" and they "do".

Admission is one liter of Jack Daniels.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
November 14, 2005 09:56PM
<HTML>The majoirty of my work is janitorial and not car cleaning but regardless, if someone asked me to buff there floor--they would be paying me. Not in beers or favors, but in cash. There the ones asking for the favor. Its not like you offered your services freely.

Time is money.

No one borrows my equipmennt, or steals my chemicals. I mean think about it, did your brother in law pay for the chemicals? Did he take them without permission? Thats theft plain and simple. How do you think he would react if you let yourself into his house and removed items out of his home? I bet he wouldnt be as kind about it as you are to him.

Bud is on to something about the boundaries. Dont let people step on you.
"Dont throw pearls to swine". Dont give anything to someone who doesnt appreciate it.</HTML>
November 14, 2005 10:25PM
<HTML>Sounds like you need one of those " Don't ask to borrow my Tools" stickers for the side of your van/trailer.

As for your neighbor you should just pop on over and sit yourself down on his couch and ask where's the beer and pizza !

Now the brother in law , in lieu of christmas and birthday gifts give him chemicals .

I was over my brother's house the other day and I saw the neighbor with what I thought was his mower , I asked my brother if that indeed was his mower , he verified it was . Not only did the neighbor wash the entire thing he cleaned the underside of the deck and give my brother 2 bottles of wine . Now that's a good neighbor . Some people don't have the common sense to "thankyou" when you help them . Good luck
Regards
Jerry</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login