Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vinyl Top Cleaning

Posted by harold summerlin 
Vinyl Top Cleaning
December 26, 2005 10:23PM
<HTML>I have a conv with a black vinyl top in good condition. I want to know if it is ok to go to a commercial car wash and use the wand type device you hold in your hand to wash the top ---??use cold water with? or cold water without soap? Is that an ok thing to do? If so, use soap or no soap?

Harold</HTML>

Harold
Re: Vinyl Top Cleaning
December 27, 2005 01:53AM
<HTML>Harold:

You can rest assurd that a self service carwash and any automatic carwash will not in the least bit hurt your vinyl top.

The only thing you might want to do is use the Engine Degreaser or Wheel Cleaner in the self service wash on the top. However, many detailers commonly use engine degreaser for all types of cleaning so I would be careful if I took my car to a detail shop to find out what cleaner they were using on the top.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
December 28, 2005 06:19PM
<HTML>As Bud stated, be careful of what "chemical" is utilized.

A safe, non-butly based cleaner is recommended.

That said, keep in mind that "water" is the universal solvent and a good pre soaking with water before application of the cleaning chemical aids in the cleaning process.

Also, the correct 'brush", on with small stiff bristles, that will reach down into the "small valleys of the vinyl grain, to agitate and loosen the embedded soil.

We recommend a "velour spoting" brush for cleaning of vinyl tops.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Dan
December 28, 2005 11:56PM
<HTML>You may want to be careful about the pressure the gun puts out. It could cause a permanent convertable situation.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
December 29, 2005 10:49PM
<HTML> I my self own a conv stang and i personally would not use a pressure washer on the top. I soak the top with water, then use a good car wash with a medium stiff brush.. ,rinse off , dry , then let air dry completely..then i finish with a conv top restorer. My car is a 1999 and the top still looks like new..</HTML>
December 30, 2005 04:31AM
<HTML>Thanks for the advice. I received several different opinions. Some yes on the pressure wash and some no on the pressure wash. I think I will try the brush method and be on the safe side.

Thanks
Harold</HTML>

Harold
January 04, 2006 03:31AM
<HTML>ROLL OFF The best I ever used but buy in gallon</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
January 05, 2006 04:02AM
<HTML>Never found the pressure washer to be a problem. Actually a stiff nylon brush can cause more damage, especially on the sewn seams than the pressure washer.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
January 05, 2006 01:54PM
<HTML>I agree with Bud, the wrong brush can do serious damage.

Washed my Sebring convert yesterday, after a three week road trip, and all I did was spot the bird droppings with our Omni, agitate the spots with a soft bristle brush, wet the whole top with water, a little misting of the Omni, let it set.

Then, set the nozzle at about a 4 inch fan spray and washed it off.

Top is black fabric, came out perfectly clean</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login