Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

hair spray stain on leather seat

Posted by Brian 
hair spray stain on leather seat
May 29, 2002 07:26PM
Need help! I have an Audi TT 2000 coupe. Like an idiot, I allowed my ex-girlfriend to spray hair spray in the car (wonder why she is a ex now...).

Anyway, my problem is that now I have shiny spots from where the hair spray dried. I have try soap and water and Tanner's preserve leather cleaner, but neither works to remove the stains. It appears as if the hair spray stain is raised as if I could remove it if I had the proper solvent.

Any suggestions on how I can remove the stains?

I understand that no matter what I use for cleaning, that I should use a conditioner afterwards to remoisturize and protect the leather.
Re: hair spray stain on leather seat
May 29, 2002 11:03PM
my best guess and what i would try first is calling some one local to you whou does interior dying and ask him or her,i would try lexol leather cleaner,allow to soak and GENTLY use a green 3m scuff pad to rub. most scuff marks come off this way

good luck and if you can't get a dye guy e mail me and i'll call my guy

mike at the shine shop
Re: hair spray stain on leather seat
May 30, 2002 06:43PM
Brian:

I suggest you try some mild hair shampoo to remove the spots. It seems to me that most hairspray is composed of two elements, the carrier that flashes offafter it is sprayed that is usually some sort of alcohol and the remaining components that are the glue that hold those lovely locks of hair in place. The glue in the hairspray is designed to be regularily removed from a persons hair with shampoo so it may just work as well on the seats providing it has not etched itself into the leather surface.

As another source of information contact a local high end furniture store who sell quality leather furniture. They will have a contract service person who specializes in repairs and they have many tricks of the trade that may work for you.

Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login