Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Polish application

Posted by Keith Kirvan 
Polish application
May 31, 2002 11:36PM
Do you apply polish the same way you do wax? Why was I thinking you could wax right over the polish? The polish has to be buffed off, right?
Boy, my questions just keep getting dumber and dumber...
KK
Re: Polish application
June 01, 2002 02:33PM
1: Yes
2: Because you can
3: No

The only dumb question is the one not asked. You CAN apply the wax directly over the polish. Many detailers (myself included) often do this, especially when I'm going to be applying multiple coats of polish/wax.

When using a rubbing compound, apply a cleaner wax over the compound to help remove it, then apply a second coat of cleaner wax. The same applies with polish. Apply your protective coat over the polish, then a second coat of wax to maximize the effectiveness of the wax.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
A request for clarification for DON
June 01, 2002 04:04PM
Don:

Interesting question and comments. Food for thought that up to this time frankly I had not considered. Given both I would appreciate if you would provide a clarification.

Are you saying that if you are refinishing using a multi step process you may regulariliy apply multiple coats of different products one over the other before buffing them off?

To be more specific im instered in knowing what process you would then recommend for the following product application on a clear coat finish and at what points would you buff them off.

Products for application would be Medallion paint cleaner, # 7 glaze, paste carnuba.

Thanks
Re: A request for clarification for DON
June 01, 2002 05:06PM
It's kind of a left over technique from the shop I worked at. The "Top Of The Line" paint service was no follows:

1: Strata 1000 grit compound applied left on
2: Meguairs Cleaner/Wax applied over compound (eases removal of compound).

3: Removal of Cleaner Wax/Compound

4: 2nd coating of Cleaner wax

5: Removal of C/W

6: Meguairs #7 applied

7: Sealant applied over #7 (eases removal of #7)

8: Removal of sealant/#7

8A (optional) Second coating of sealant

9: Final detailing.

It's almost time for work, if you have more Qs, I will be back online around 1AM

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
June 02, 2002 03:13AM
Explain what you said about sealant to remove #7 and then removal of sealant - then apply sealant.
June 02, 2002 05:28AM
Anyone who has used Meguiars polishes knows that they have very "oily" properties. Often when you go to remove it, it will leave smears and streaks. Applying a sealant over the polish makes the removal easier. The second coat of sealant is to make sure you have maximum protectant coverage.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
June 02, 2002 04:08PM
Thanks Don:

With respect to the products I refered to in my original post ..........Medallion cleaner, # 7 and carnuba............ would you consider the carnuba same as the sealer you refered to above and apply the carnuba right opver the # 7 ..........or would this be an additional step with another product ........ that being a "sealer" before you apply the carnuba.

As well what sealers do you prefer to use?

Thanks again Don for all the great info
June 03, 2002 05:09AM
The shop where I worked used Meguiars #16 when I was there. The last time I stopped by, they were using Meguiars Yellow Wax, so yeah, the carnuaba you are using would be the same.

I still prefer the synthetics (Finish First, Zaino) or non-organic (silicone based...Liquid Glass etc.) for my sealant/protective layer.

With the product you are using, I would apply the first coat of carnuaba directly over the #7, buff both off, then apply the second coat of carnuaba.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
June 03, 2002 05:59PM
Thanks Don:

On my next full detail I will proceed just as you advised and see how things turn out. Interesting thing is the only change for me is the process with a bit more product being used. Up to now I have been removing each product separately before the application of the next.

thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login