Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who Says Dealers Don't Pay Well

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Who Says Dealers Don't Pay Well
April 21, 2006 02:05PM
<HTML>There is a great deal of talk about the detail industry about how dealers do not pay their detailers.

Just came back from a consulting job for a dealership where they pay their detail manager $65,000 per year and their detailers work on flatrate at $15 per hour.

If you are good there is money to be made, even as an employee, in the detail business.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: Who Says Dealers Don't Pay Well
April 21, 2006 05:28PM
<HTML>Rare indeed.

But, what brand of vehicles, what type of clientel, etc.

I would gather it was a new vehicle dealer with a fairly good used vehicle selection.

There are a few new car dealers here in Cincy that pay very well, not the rule, but the exception.

They are high end vehicles, in the high iincome parts of the city.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
April 21, 2006 06:47PM
<HTML>Ron:

The dealer is a Honda dealership, no others. You would expect the dealer to be a MB or BMW or Cadillac at the least. But it is not, just a lowly Honda dealer.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
April 22, 2006 11:02AM
<HTML>I'm really quite surprised...

Jim</HTML>

If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!
April 22, 2006 01:33PM
<HTML>Recall there was another dealer that I worked with in the South, a Cadillac franchise what paid it's detailers 6 hours flat rate for 2 to 3 year old Cadillac's, most of which had come from auctions and was paying the detailers anywhere from $10.00 per hour up to $13.00 per hours.

This was about 6 years ago.

Interestingly they never did more than 2 cars per day, with our high tech system that mixed and dispensed all the chemicals automatically; had central vacuums and central heated extractor at their fingertips.

Obviously money is not always a motivator.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
April 23, 2006 03:11AM
?

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 04:53PM by MartinHernandez.
April 23, 2006 03:57AM
?

Martin Hernandez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 04:52PM by MartinHernandez.
April 23, 2006 01:03PM
<HTML>He might be making peanuts in comparison to you...but he is making a fairly decent living working 9-5 without the responsibilities of business ownership.</HTML>
April 26, 2006 07:28PM
?

Martin Hernandez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 04:52PM by MartinHernandez.
April 28, 2006 02:25AM
<HTML>Absolutely correct Gina.

And, the point of the posting was that this man could have easily done 5 cars a day, considering their condition, if he were motivated. That was my point, he was only motivated to do 2 cars per day at $78 per car flatrate. That is, 6 hours flat rate at $13 per hour = $78 per car.

Now if he were motivated like Anthony is he would be making $390 per day, as you say Gina, for a 8 to 5 job with a lunch hour. He would be receiving health insurance; paid vacation; paid sick leave; and retirement.

Anthony's $600 a day sounds good but that is gross, not net and does not take out, I would assume for all the benefits.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
April 29, 2006 12:33PM
<HTML>Go tell everyone that it's easier to work for someone else than work for yourself. It's no fun creating your own destiny, work on your own terms, and the FREEDOM.

Gee, I wished I was back in the work force and having people tell me what to do, YEAH RIGHT!!!</HTML>

Martin Hernandez
April 30, 2006 04:10AM
<HTML>Our detailers here at Toyota are paid well also.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
<HTML>Hi,
I want to get my boss to put me on contract I don't want to do the b.s. work like cleaning and vacuuming the rest of the dealership, I just want to do the vehicles and that's it but I want to make a descent wage for what I'm doing, how do you suggest going about this. My bosses are really great to me and I appreciate everything they do for me, but I just don't want to do the b.s. and I don't want to lose my job. Any suggestions?</HTML>
June 01, 2006 03:10AM
<HTML>You bet it is easier to work for someone else. Work 8 to 5 with an hour lunch. Get your check every week or two weeks. Have health insurance, paid vacation; sick leave, retirement. Leave your problems at the door when you leave at 5:00pm.

I have owned my own business since 1980 and it has been a daily struggle since that time. Of course there are some advantages, but do not mislead people that owning your own business is going to result in peaches and cream.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
June 01, 2006 03:16AM
<HTML>What is your current pay program? By the hour? How much per hour?

What other work do you do besides detailing?

When you say contract, what do you mean by that?

How many other people work in the detail dept with you? How are they paid?

How long have you worked at the dealership? About what do you make per month?

We have to have more facts to provide you with a suggested plan of action to approach your boss with. If it makes sense for them then they might do it.

If you want to contact me direct it is buda@detailplus.com

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
June 01, 2006 04:20PM
<HTML>I have run into the odd situation where dealers actually pay their detailers some decent money but it is very rare. There is a big GM store in Michigan I know of that pays their detail department head $75000+ but he also does PDR, minor paint repairs, fabric repairs and tints windows. A bargain if he can do all those things well. However, after dealing with far more dealers than I care to have known I know how they operate and I would never work under the conditions that they subject thier people to. The guys at my buddy's GM store are banging off up to 30 "recons" a day between 4 guys. Mind you these are auction cleaned former rentals that are all late model but I know I would not be killing myself to do that for what they are paying these guys.</HTML>

June 01, 2006 04:22PM
<HTML>I also forgot to mention that after years of cow towing to dealers and their bs pricing I finally had the stones to raise my prices with them this spring. LOTS of bitching and complaining but there is no one that can touch our work so they are all still coming. My only problem is I can't find staff to do all the work we are being sent. Welcome to the detail business.........</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login