Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

wax when, wax how?

Posted by bill mcneil 
wax when, wax how?
May 02, 2006 03:28PM
<HTML>wow, i feel so lucky to have found this web site! never would have thought such a place existed.
at age 53, got my first new car, 2004 suzuki verona, silver metalic paint.
i use the car everyday and wash it every week including door jambs trunk and engine. pretty tuff in the winter but i do get er done.
i have been hand waxing with a liquid wax, usually meguiar's.
so here's my question(s)...
is there such a thing as applying too little wax?
with silver metalic, it is very hard to see scratches, etc. do i need to polish?
should i consider a buffer?

ok, 3 questions is enough.

thanks ahead for any response.

bill</HTML>
Re: wax when, wax how?
May 03, 2006 02:52AM
<HTML>1. When you apply the wax, you should notice the wax drying after a few minutes. It will become chalky looking. I believe the word is haze. If you see that, you have plenty.
2. A polish is used to remove scratches and brighten the paint. If you can't see the scratches, why worry? I would suggest using a cleaner wax though if this is all your doing. Maguirs is good choice, last long and is easily removed.
3. An orbital buffer is a nice tool to have. You won't burn the paint with an orbital, they save your body from wear, and increase the speed at which you can apply wax.

Are you washing your engine once a week also?</HTML>

jer

Charlotte Auto Detailing
Charlotte, MI

517-749-5484
May 03, 2006 09:03AM
<HTML>thanks for the advice.
haven't attempted cleaning the engine.
tried that once years ago and got water into everything. so i was thinking of getting it steam cleaned professionally...any one in pittsburgh?

bill</HTML>
May 23, 2006 10:11PM
<HTML>Hi Bill, you should check out howtodetail.com I purchased a how to DVD that had a wealth of knowlage (very visual and high quality) and reasonably priced.I didn't have any problem cleaning my engine and it turned out better then I ever expected.Take care.</HTML>
August 19, 2006 04:46PM
Flamingoroad : Another good cleaner wax is Mother's original. Fine polishing can take all day by hand. You can buy a Porter Cable 7424 from Lowes for less than re-labeled PCs elsewhere. I did see the 7424 at a reasonable price on a detailing supply site ( may have been Autogeek ).
Many think a polymer sealant is better for a daily driver and sealants resist car wash soaps better.
Doug

" Old cars last until there is enough money for a down payment on a new car. "

Post Edited (09-01-06 21:40)
September 07, 2006 05:24AM
All you really need is a thin coat, and if you are concerned about coverage apply two thin coats. Lots of folks really cake it on and that is a waste, you end up wiping more off the car than what actually stays on the car. Again, One thin coat thoroughly applied is all you need, same with paint sealant until it is time to apply once again.
September 07, 2006 05:24AM
All you really need is a thin coat, and if you are concerned about coverage apply two thin coats. Lots of folks really cake it on and that is a waste, you end up wiping more off the car than what actually stays on the car. Again, One thin coat thoroughly applied is all you need, same with paint sealant until it is time to apply once again.

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
September 07, 2006 09:38AM
WWW.showcargargage.com has an OUTSTANDING how to DVD take a look at Meguiars #2 Polish is a pure polish but it's also wipe on wipe off [wowo] product GOOD LUCK
September 07, 2006 01:32PM
New Again : Were you referring to Meguiar's STEP 2 Red Bottle stuff, which fits your description, or their Professional #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, which requires machine application ?

Doug
September 08, 2006 03:39PM
Guys : On this topic of wax---I see that Wal-mart stocks a certain brand name wax for only about $1.87 a bottle that is guaranteed to last one month or 52 car washes ( notice, it says one MONTH, not one year ). Even a fanatic like me rarely washes his car 52 times in one month ! LOL

Doug

" You trust your mother but you cut the cards ".
September 10, 2006 05:27AM
The red DOUG
September 10, 2006 02:49PM
New Again, Thanks for clarifying that. The Meguiar's three-step system is good. I simply found the Mother's products slightly easier to use and the wax to last a little longer so I recommend those. This could come down to personal preference.

Doug
December 14, 2006 02:31PM
Note:
When cleaning an engine, it is advisable to cover the air intake, battery, alternator, coil and distributer. On an old carbureted engine, remove the air cleaner and cover the carburetor with a plastic bag, possibly held on with a rubber band. Some advise avoiding spraying the computer system wiring.
After engine cleaning, you can dry problem areas with compressed air. The engine will dry out better if you have warmed it up some prior to washing it.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login