Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Guru reports /sealant

Posted by samuel 
Guru reports /sealant
May 03, 2006 07:02AM
<HTML>I know this subject has been discussed before, however many still ask about the most durable sealant. One reason is misleading ADs that claim two year protection on a sealant. Some even claim 5 years.
This is a subjective excercise where preferences come ahead facts. I personally believe that anything exposed to the elements will degrade quickly in the presence of water, oxygen, carbon and sunlight. Yes you may still have some water beading but that's just half of the story, how about UV inhibition.
Water beading without good UV blockers is worthless because this where you maintan your gloss, reflectivity and depth. Unless by scientific tests I shall be hard pressed to believe that any of the sealants on the market have such strong UV blockers that last six months right through several washes.
Again there is a difference betweeen water beading and UV protection that a sealant or wax provides. Hence, I'm a believer in maintenance, I constantly use products with high UV protection for maintenance every week as opposed to expecting a sealant provide a long haul protection all alone.</HTML>
Re: Guru reports /sealant
August 10, 2006 04:40PM
Ecodetail : Carnauba wax provides a thicker layer of protection than do sealants. A good sealant will outlast the Carnauba wax, however, and is more resistant to commercial car wash detergents. Many enthusiasts apply a sealant and top it with a wax to get the pop of the sealant and the depth of the wax.

The most durable Carnauba wax I have tested is Malm's Liquid. It is only suitable for paint in polished condition because it is hard to wipe or buff on any other surface.

AM's Awesome Gloss held up well but didn't gloss mush.

Guru Reports picked Klasse and Zaino as the best.

If you are concerned with UV, consider a car cover from www.autoanything.com .

Doug Delmont
August 11, 2006 06:10AM
The Guru Test was less than scientific and is not as accurate as more objectively done tests.

We had a test done of 25 of the more popular waxes and sealants used by detailers all over the USA and some from Canada.

The test measured three things:

1. Reflective gloss before and after application using a Glossometer
2. Loss of reflective gloss after 12 washings
3. Resistence to salt water corrosion one of the worst a car is exposed to.

If you would like a copy of the test please contact me at buda@detailplus.com

By the way, Klasse was #1 in reflective shine at 32.8% increase, whereas Zaino was 12th with a 21.7% increase. (lowest was 5.5%)

After 12 washings Klasse was 8th with a 0.68% loss of gloss and Zaino was 14th with a 1.30% loss in gloss.

Resistence to corrosion Klasse was in the 5 catagory and Zaino was in the 1 catagory out of 6.

No. 1 catagory was - excellent, little or no rust whereas 5 was Bad, more rust than the control panel. The Control Panel which had no wax or sealant on it was in the 3 catagory which was Fair, some rust.

So all in all Zaino faired well, but not so with Klasse.

Or how about this the two products that were No 1 & 2 in reflective gloss increase, were 19th & 21st in corrosion resistence which says that if you want a product that has high gloss you will not necessarily get one that will protect very well.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMSecodetail wrote:

> <HTML>I know this subject has been discussed before, however
> many still ask about the most durable sealant. One reason is
> misleading ADs that claim two year protection on a sealant.
> Some even claim 5 years.
> This is a subjective excercise where preferences come ahead
> facts. I personally believe that anything exposed to the
> elements will degrade quickly in the presence of water, oxygen,
> carbon and sunlight. Yes you may still have some water beading
> but that's just half of the story, how about UV inhibition.
> Water beading without good UV blockers is worthless because
> this where you maintan your gloss, reflectivity and depth.
> Unless by scientific tests I shall be hard pressed to believe
> that any of the sealants on the market have such strong UV
> blockers that last six months right through several washes.
> Again there is a difference betweeen water beading and
> UV protection that a sealant or wax provides. Hence, I'm a
> believer in maintenance, I constantly use products with high UV
> protection for maintenance every week as opposed to expecting a
> sealant provide a long haul protection all alone.</HTML>

buda
August 12, 2006 01:29PM
Bud : The Guru Report on Wax impressed me. To some extent, it was scientific. Above all, it was independent. Many of the Guru findings were confirmed in my own tests ( I agree that Mother's California Gold is good, for instance ).

As I recall, your test was done with samples sent in by independent detailers. Under such conditions, how could you insure the freshness, purity and even authenticity of the samples used ?

In the past, I've pointed out that your test compared one-step products to waxes that contain no cleaner or polish, an apples and oranges approach.
I'd be happy to review your test in its entirety, as you ask me to, but I read in the past on this forum, that you charge for your costs in sending the test.
I decline to pay and that is my right. If you wish to send the test free, I promise to read it .

Doug Delmont
August 12, 2006 03:15PM
Consumer Reports recently did a big wax test but I have serious problems with it. Among those, is the " apples and oranges " comparison of Griot's Best of Show Wax ( a pure wax ) with one-step products.
Curiously, the Griot's Best Of Show earned a " good " rating for cleaning ability in spite of the fact it contains no cleaning ingredients !

Doug Delmont

" Men: Be wary of a girl whose father calls her ' princess '. Chances are, she has come to believe it. "
August 12, 2006 03:46PM
Doug:

When you say that Giriot's is a "pure wax?" Too often in the industry we throw terms around and you mean one thing and I understand another.

You might contact Consumer Reports to determine how they can compare an apple to an orange. As you say, a wax to a cleaner/wax.

Actually the solvents in a wax product will provide some chemical cleaning whereas with a cleaner wax you have some slight abrasives.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
August 12, 2006 07:44PM
I was just wondering if u guys could give me some feed back on the glare polish and what u think of it, or have u ever used it?
August 12, 2006 08:08PM
Geared to the boutique, retail market. They make wild claims about how durable, etc the product is for years.

Any time you hear that it is a red flag, or should be for a detailer.

Nothing revolutiionary about protection products. Some excellent, some average and some not so good.

Of course that is relative to what you are looking for:

a. Shine
b. Resistence to soaps
c. Corrosion resistence

No one product can be all things. Enhance one and it takes away from the other. Just the nature of the ingreidents used.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
August 13, 2006 03:08AM
Bud : Actually, I've already sent Consumer Reports a long letter about shortcomings in their test . They wrote me an answer, promising to forward my comments to the appropriate departments for use in future tests. That was "all she wrote'.
Doug

" If a boss says he wants no "yes men ", his employees will answer in unison, " Neither do we ! ".
August 13, 2006 05:49AM
Let us know what they have to say in the future.

Regards
Bud AbrahamDoug Delmont wrote:

> Bud : Actually, I've already sent Consumer Reports a long
> letter about shortcomings in their test . They wrote me an
> answer, promising to forward my comments to the appropriate
> departments for use in future tests. That was "all she wrote'.
> Doug
>
> " If a boss says he wants no "yes men ", his employees will
> answer in unison, " Neither do we ! ".

buda
September 08, 2006 02:52AM
Gentlemen : Just in case anyone was curious, the winning liquid wax in the July 2006 Consumer Reports test was Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016. It rated "excellent" in gloss, durability, cleaning, scratching/hazing and compatability with plastic. Second: Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6. Third : Eagle One Nanowax. Fourth : 3M Perfect-it Show Car Liquid Wax .

The report notes, " To assess gloss, we did side-by-side visual comparisons. Gloss-measuring devices exist but their measurements don't necessarily translate into what the human eye sees. For our durability tests, we tracked how water beaded to show how quickly the wax wore away. "

I noticed that the 28 products tested did not include Klasse, Zaino or Autoglym.
Doug
" Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 02:54AM by Doug Delmont.
September 08, 2006 01:30PM
When we produce sealant products for companies such as DaimlerChrysler, Saturn, Nissan, Renault, etc, the "lab test protocal" is much more involved and intensive than those referred to here.

They use either their own test labs or independant, certified labs and an accepted protocal that is very tough.

If I can recall, don't have one of the test results in front of me, has either 25 or 26 different steps in the testing, uses P#82300877 protocal method.

The test requires 48 panels, with three OEM clearcoat paint systems,(PPG, DuPont, BASF) and one refinish clearcoat paint system.

The average cost for this 110 day test is between $12,000 and $14,000 US.

It involves washing, various acid compound exporure, xeon gas exposure test, accelerated weather and UV exposure, etc.

And yes, a gloss meter or QFM meter is used for each step of the way, plus a scanning electron microscope.

Which is why I often have a good laugh when I read some enthusist doing their test of a product.

Ketch
September 14, 2006 01:52AM
Ketch, That is a cotrolled test in a lab environment and I think it's more scientific than subjective and sometimes emotional comments folks make about waxes and sealant. I certainly agree with Bud that maintenace is the key, any protectant exposed to water, in the presense of oxygen and carbon will degrade. Water beading cannot tell the whole story, UV inhibition is by far more important because that's the critical stage where damage is done to paint and plastic- oxidation.
September 14, 2006 05:28AM
Ecodetail,
Notice that with all of this alleged high-tech testing, the best the car companies can find to market to their customers is dual-labeled Meguiar's products offered through Daimler-Chrysler and GM dealer parts departments.

Ford's old Silicone Gloss Polish was more like a harsh compound than a wax and didn't hold up long. Ford dropped it and now sells a Clear Coat Polish. A parts counter man at the Ford dealer told me that the new product cleans well but doesn't hold up very well ; he tops it with Carnauba wax to add durability.
If Ford did expensive tests, it appears they wasted their money.

In short, I'll put a higher value on real world testing I can read about and duplicate than on expensive lab tests I'm not permitted access to.

Tire companies test tires scientifically and rarely release the tests to the public. We can still drive on our tires and draw conclusions about them. The same principle applies to waxes.

Doug

" Some people make things happen. Some people watch things happen. And some people wonder what happened. "
December 14, 2006 12:03PM
Gentlemen-
This thread raised some questions that were not addressed back when it started. One question is just how one can find out the UV protection level of a car wax and compare it to its competitors. Another is why Ecodetail chose to apply something to his car every WEEK. Weekly car waxing ? Not for everybody.
Then there was the assertion that water beading was no indication of UV protection. In general, water beading indicates the presence of wax on the surface and the presence of wax indicates UV protection. There is a rough correlation.
Will anything exposed to the elements degrade quickly, as Samuel suspects ?
Apparently not. Auto Magic's Awesome Gloss has lasted well in my tests and Zaino Z-2 ( see Zaino Bros. thread ) is widely reported to last. These particular sealants may outlast some of their competitors 2:1 or better.
If my hunches are right, Zaino is an enthusiast's dream and a professional's potential profit center. ( see Zaino Bros. thread for my test's preliminary results, etc.)
The good thing about real world testing, as opposed to the lab testing endorsed by Ketch, is that waxes end up actually being used in the real world and not in a lab somewhere.
Note to Samuel: If you trust lab testing, you may wish to eat a diet high in nitrates and nitrites, high-fructose corn syrup, sodium-rich canned food, trans fat, and other gifts of the lab that we now know to be harmful. For years, health "nuts", with little science behind them, have eaten whole grains, honey and fresh vegetables and they turned out to be right.

Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2006 03:27PM by Doug Delmont.
June 23, 2007 01:02AM
Gentlemen-
Here is how the Guru Reports Wax Test was conducted :
All of the products were bought through normal channels so no manufacturer could slip a souped-up wax into the test. Eight trunk lids from GM vehicles were used as test panels. 46 Waxes were tested. The waxes were washed, dried and judged once a week. The waxes were divided into 4 categories based on price. They were judged for shine, gloss, depth, clarity, reflectivity,slickness,color enhancement, overall impression, ease of use, durability and availability. The test panels were washed,
clayed, compounded and polished to prepare them for the test. A magic marker was used to divide the panels into squares approximately 1 square foot each. The waxes were applied per manufacturers' instructions and left outside for 8 weeks. The panels were tested once a week, including checking water beading.
The entire project including getting the report into print cost over a hundred thousand dollars.
Many of the waxes lasted about 6 weeks, earning a "C" for durability. Klasse scored an " A- "for durability. Zaino got an " A+ ".
Collinite Doublecoat won in the category of moderately-priced carnauba waxes. P-21s won for high-priced carnauba.
UPDATE NOTE added10/26/07- I recently found the old Guru Report Wax Test offered for sale on www.waynestowels.com
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2007 03:14AM by Doug Delmont.
Re: The answer is YES. was that so hard?
May 11, 2011 03:27PM
Here is a perfect example of what I mean about listening to Ron , Doug, and Bud
on a question.

The guy asks this simple question.

Again is there a difference betweeen water beading and UV protection that a sealant or wax provides.

The question is very simple,YES,but it is very revealing how they dance around it by this dump of useless facts that confuse the person asking the question.

If you are concerned with UV, consider a car cover from www.autoanything.com .

Doug Delmont

When we produce sealant products for companies such as DaimlerChrysler, Saturn, Nissan, Renault, etc, the "lab test protocal" is much more involved and intensive than those referred to here.

They use either their own test labs or independant, certified labs and an accepted protocal that is very tough.

If I can recall, don't have one of the test results in front of me, has either 25 or 26 different steps in the testing, uses P#82300877 protocal method.

The test requires 48 panels, with three OEM clearcoat paint systems,(PPG, DuPont, BASF) and one refinish clearcoat paint system.

The average cost for this 110 day test is between $12,000 and $14,000 US.

It involves washing, various acid compound exporure, xeon gas exposure test, accelerated weather and UV exposure, etc.

And yes, a gloss meter or QFM meter is used for each step of the way, plus a scanning electron microscope.

Which is why I often have a good laugh when I read some enthusist doing their test of a product.

Ketch

No wonder no one comes to this site for answers to their questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 03:52PM by billd55.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login