Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Clay Lubricant & Wax in One

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Clay Lubricant & Wax in One
July 11, 2006 02:49PM
<HTML>Would appreciate your comments, pros or cons, on a lubricant for body clay that also applies a coat of protective wax.

Thanks

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: Clay Lubricant &amp; Wax in One
August 06, 2006 09:25PM
I would wonder if the wax residue would contaminate my clay and whether the wax would hold up if it starts out diluted with lubricant.
These concerns may be unfounded but this is my initial reaction to the idea.

Doug Delmont

" A pessimist is someone who has lent money to an optimist."
August 07, 2006 12:02AM
Doug:

First of all, wax would not contaminate the clay anymore than any other IFO on the car. (Industrial Fall Out).

Do not understand the next question? "Wax holding up starting out diluted with lubricant?"

There is no wax on the car in the first place. You are using clay to remove any surface contaminates including old wax, etc.

After the clay process you would buff, polish and then wax the car's finish. At the least, after using clay you would polish and then wax.

It appears you have a different definition of how clay is used?

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMSDoug Delmont wrote:

> I would wonder if the wax residue would contaminate my clay and
> whether the wax would hold up if it starts out diluted with
> lubricant.
> These concerns may be unfounded but this is my initial
> reaction to the idea.
>
> Doug Delmont
>
> " A pessimist is someone who has lent money to an optimist."

buda
August 08, 2006 12:44AM
Bud : I didn't make that very clear . Sorry. What I meant was that clay lubricant containing wax would have less wax in it ( presumably ) than, say, a spray wax product. I would imagine the lubricant product could only provide a minimal wax coating.
If you intend to polish and wax after claying, I wonder what good the wax in the clay lubricant would do.

As a side note : Griot's Garage Speed Shine is a clay lube that contains a little carnauba wax but mainly to enhance the lubrication. It provides little wax protection.

Doug

" Measure twice, cut once. "
August 08, 2006 05:45PM
Doug:

Thank you for your reply.

I was not aware that clay lubricant had wax in it.

In Japan they do not use lubricant. In the USA some companies sell a lubricant that might have some silicones in it.

As a company we recommend using plain water with some ivory or dial hand soap as lubricant.

If a lubricant had wax, it would be to increase the lubricity of the clay against the surface, it would not be to provide any protection because the detailer, after claying a car could do numerous things to the paint:
a. buff, polish, wax
b. polish and wax
c. wax only

Therefore having wax in lubricant is not really necessary for protection, only for lubricity, but in my opinion, soapy water is sufficient.

Some companies, like Girot's which is a boutique company, that is, they do not sell to professional detailers, they sell to car enthusiasts who want to be told the products they buy are the best.

A Speed Shine, is just that, a quick way to put a shine on the car, with little protection. They use such products at car shows and dealership showrooms to remove dust and fingerprints.

What the chemical companies have figured out is a way to sell more product. You do not need more than soapy water as a lubricant, in my humble opinion.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

buda
May 10, 2009 11:37PM
Sup Buda! When you use clay to remove surface contaminents, do you mean tree sap, water spots, etc?
May 11, 2009 01:55AM
Keith-
Clay is for removing any contaminant above the surface. That can include paint overspray, industrial fallout, sap, tar-you name it.
Doug
May 11, 2009 04:03PM
Typically clay is used to remove the invisible industrial fallout (IFO) off the paint surface. There does not seem to be anything else that will remove invisible industrial fallout. That is what they use it for in Japan.

If you want to feel the IFO rub your fingers on a section of the hood of the car, you probably will not feel it. Then take the cellophane off a package of cigarettes and place it on your 3 middle fingers and rub the same section. It will feel like a piece of sandpaper. This is a marvelous marketing method with the customer to show them why your process is more expensive than the competition. (You should clay every car in a professional buff, polish and wax, if there is IFO).

In the USA where we have a HUGE problem with paint overspray, it is excellent for that also as opposed to aggressive buffing and cutting or harsh chemicals.

You can remove tree sap with alcohol or turpintine easier than clay, and in some cases the tree sap from pine/fir trees will not come off with clay you have to dissolve the sap first.

As for water spots I have found clay to not be very effective either. Water spots are harden minerals in the water. They too have to be liquified to effectively remove them.

Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login