Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ads

Posted by RobMarini 
Ads
August 15, 2006 12:41AM
Hey Guys,

I need to step it up before the end of this year. I am creating a marketing plan which will include direct mail and a display ad. Not sure where to put the display ad? community newspaper? anyone have any luck with this?
Re: Ads
August 15, 2006 02:51PM
Rob:

Stick with direct mail which allows you to target the customers you want to target.

Display ads, in my opinion, do not get you the response you are looking for, especially when you put them in a general readership publication.

You could go with a display ad in the local "snob" club. In Portland we have the Multnomah Athletic Club that has it's own magazine and everyone who is somebody or thinks they are somebody is a member. Lawyers, doctors, stock brokers, commercial realtors, bank presidents; business owners, etc.

However you have to run it about 4 to 6 months to get noticed.

Remember advertising is an investment. You have to keep doing it to get results. Maybe the first time a person sees your ad they do not need a detail. So you have to keep reminding them that you are there when they need the service.

This is what too many "cash strapped" detail business owners forget. You are not going to get immediate response to rush your business into high profits, it takes time and advertising dollars.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMSRobMarini wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I need to step it up before the end of this year. I am creating
> a marketing plan which will include direct mail and a display
> ad. Not sure where to put the display ad? community newspaper?
> anyone have any luck with this?

buda
August 16, 2006 01:16AM
Bud,

When you do a mailing..do you offer a discount or coupon with a time limit in order to get a faster response?
August 16, 2006 01:24AM
Why do you assume a discount is what will motivate your customer?

Are detail customers coupon clippers? I have found that they are not this type of customer, at least the kind of customers I want in my detail business.

The best way to get fast response is to get to the best target market that want the service and may not have had an opportunity to get it done in their neighborhood or where they work.

Your detail customer is not a middle class American they are the upper class or higher income customers.

What motivates them?

Bud Abraham

buda
August 16, 2006 01:59AM
I agree, i do not want coupon clippers..ive gone down that road and never again. I also agree about the target market being high income customers. But what DOES motivate them to take action right away? What makes them want to call you right away and book an appointment rather than put your letter aside, and eventually end up lost or thrown out. Especially in my area where people arent familiar with mobile automotive detailers. If they see something from someone they think are mobile, they think of some kid coming by and detailing their car for 50 bucks using their water and power.
August 16, 2006 02:06AM
All you can do with your advertising is educate customers about your business and what you do.

You cannot make them buy a service they do not need at the time they receive your advertisement.

The only way you can be sure they will respond is to get to the customer when they need a detail.

The only way I know to do that is to canvas the streets or parking lots and pick out the cars that obviously need a buff and wax or wax or interior clean.

That method actually works well, we did that when I owned and operated our two DETAIL PLUS Centers in Portland.

But when you do direct mail you can only target to market types, no way to know the condition of their vehicle.

Bud Abraham

buda
August 17, 2006 01:33AM
Rob : Here's an angle ! Consider an ad in a car or truck trader publication offering : " Dealers detail their used cars so they sell for much MUCH more. Now you can have your car put in the same sparkling condition and the service will probably PAY FOR ITSELF. We come to you with a complete shop on wheels. Then we completely clean and deodorize the car's surfaces. After that, we apply an assortment of dressings, polishes, waxes and scents. Your car will be ready to sell faster and for up to $1,500 more.
Just bought a used car ? We offer the same detail for your car so you can feel as if it is brand new.

Call Rob at...

Doug

" Nervous salesmen have skinny kids. "
August 17, 2006 03:07AM
Rob : I'd like to add that owners of small publications may be willing to trade advertising for having their own cars detailed. You have to ask.

As to what rich folks want : I'd say they want the best job for the lowest price in many cases. The key is to sell them on your insurance, punctuality, quality of work, use of professional-quality or boutique products, knowlege,
honesty and fairness, warranty, and the importance you place on them ( the customers ). After they know they want you and your service, price is not a big issue ; it is simply a matter of assuring them that they are not being charged more than your other customers and that the price is based on rational factors such as time and costs.
Doug

" To get something clean, you have to make something else dirty but for some reason, when you get something dirty, it doesn't make anything else clean. "
August 17, 2006 03:23AM
Rob : Uh one more thing :
If you use discounts, make them simple. Customers don't want to fuss with your " not good with other offers/dirty cars extra/weekdays only/no Hummers complications.

Don't use percentages like : 20% OFF ! Customers can't always compute the discount and a percent is not real money to them. The effective way is :
$25 off any Full or Premium detail or : Free Engine Cleaning with any Inside-and-out detail .

The biggest problem with discounting detailing is that there is no standard price to cut. A customer may suspect games, whereas a can of Mobil 1 oil at Wal-mart can easily be compared in price to K-mart's $1 off offer.

Doug
" If all brides are beautiful, why are there so many ugly wives ? "
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login