Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

air blower

Posted by mikesdetailsalon 
air blower
August 20, 2006 04:54AM
I do not have access to an air compressor to blow the air out of the interior of car. What can I use until I am able to purchase an air compressor. Secondly, what size compressor do I need when I am ready.

Please provide me with your experiences and advise. As always, thanks in advance and you have been truly a blessing to my experience as a detailer.

Sam Robinson
Mike's Mobile Detail Salon
1722 Paris Road suite C
Columbia, Missouri 65202
telephone: 573-356-3037
email: mikes.detail.salon@gmail.com
Re: air blower
August 20, 2006 02:02PM
Sam :
Compressors are noisy, blow dust all over the shop, take up space and cost money. If you buy one, it has to be powerful to run air-powerd tools.
So is it worth getting ?
A 6.5 HP ShopVac and a few brushes will get the interior clean and the dirt ends up in a can instead of in your lungs.
Try the search feature as this subject was brought up before.

If you do get a compressor, you can use it to blow leaves out from the hood area before washing, dry cracks and crevices, and dust the dash.
Doug

" Why is it there are so many more horse's rear ends then there are horses ?"
September 04, 2006 06:41PM
You need an air compressor in the detail business, without question.

You can buy a 5 to 6 HP compressor from COSTCO or Home Depot for about $500 or $600 which is a steal. It is only a single stage compressor, but for a small operation this is OK.

You can also buy a smaller 1, 2, 3HP compressor at a much lower price if you are looking to just use it to blow out interiors and water off cars you have just washed.

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 05, 2006 12:55AM
Bud : Could you clarify why a compressor is essential ? I have an open mind on this and sincerely want to know.
Doug
September 05, 2006 11:05AM
Sam Robinson,

Sears has a number of small, low cost air compressors that can be used to just blow the air out of the interior of cars.

Just go to: [www.sears.com] and click on 'Tools'(top right) and then 'Compressors & Air Tools'(left column)
September 05, 2006 12:33PM
Doug:

A business person buys any piece of equipment that will increase productivity and decrease labor. Would you agree that this is a logical reason to buy equipment? Not to mention, improve the quality of the work done.

Then consider how an air compressor will help you quickly and more effectively get dust out from under seats; out of cracks in the seats; out of map pockets in doors; out of pockets behind the front seats; out of the center consoles; out of the space between the seat and the door; between the dash and windshield; off of the dash panel; out of the glove box; the area inside and around the ash tray; between the rear window and rear deck, to mention a few places that would be very difficult to clean without the availability of air.

You will also have the ability to use air tools which are lighter than a 10 electric buffer. A rotary shampooer which is not really an option with electric tools and the ability to use a Mini Orbital Waxer (2 lbs) to wax a car in 5 minutes.

Seems to me, as a detailer, that this is a persuasive enough argument to get everyone to run out and buy an air compressor. How about you?

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 05, 2006 06:31PM
Bud : That sounds right. I have thought I was getting at the interior dust O.K. with my vacuum and brushes but I may be leaving more behind than I realize.
If I don't run out and buy one, that is still my right and you have to respect that, regardless of the points you've made. Thanks-I will give all of this more thought.

Doug
September 06, 2006 01:17AM
Doug

You can do anything you want, this is a free country and this is your detail business. But how can you now know you are leaving dust behind and still feel good about giving your customer the best job possible?

Just asking, not judging.

Bud Abraham,
September 07, 2006 02:19AM
Bud : There are things I need worse than a compressor. My personal thinking is not likely to be helpful to others on this forum, whose circumstances may differ from mine.
Doug
September 07, 2006 09:50AM
An air compressor is a great tool in cutting my time in the interior details and for removing seats,minor stains in carpets and seat and blowning the carpet out for that extra clean vacuuming.

As for blowun out excess water on the exterior IMO it's a WASTE of time reason you will always have some tpye of run off from the vehicles SUV are the worst
September 07, 2006 10:37AM
BUd, Superior shine has neither a air compressor or a vapor steam machine so i guess he,s just doing an ok job.... j/k joe lol. Certainly an air compressor helps but many don,t use one,personally like you, i think it,s a must tool for a detailer.
An added bonus with an air compressor is being able to check and adjust tire pressure,this is a great free service i give and the retired folks love it.
September 07, 2006 03:10PM
That is what is wrong with the detail industry, there are no standards for is needed to provide a proper detail.

The decision on the part of most detailers to not have certain equipment is not because it is not needed, it is simply, they cannot afford it so they justify why it is not needed.

In any other industry, auto repair; collision repair; tires, fast lube facilities, etc there is standard equipment used by all shops so that the consumer knows, more or less, they are getting the same job, other than the quality of the technicians who do the job.

For example, how can you possibly clean carpets properly without a soil extractor yet there are detailers doing just that because, for no other reason, they cannot afford an extractor.

And, as Pro Mobile Details states, "so I guess he is just doing an ok job?"

That is a big assumption and who would want to go to a shop or business that did just an ok job?

What about a dentist, doctor or auto mechanic that did "just an ok job."

In any industry we need to strive for excellence. In this industry there are too many "hanger-ons" who just get by which does nothing but keep the level of professionalism and respect at a low level, hurting anyone striving to do an excellent job.

That is my constant complaint. This industry needs to do away with those who do not want to or cannot afford to "strive for excellence." Without excellence our industry will always be looked upon as it is.

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 07, 2006 06:16PM
Bud: If a guy will only pay me 25 cents to shine his shoes, I'll think twice about buying a professinal shine chair set-up just so I can provide a better shine.
We have a Toyota dealer around here who details any vehicle including big Four-runner SUVs for $99. That's what's hurting the industry.

Doug
September 08, 2006 02:38AM
If that is all I could get for a shoe shine I would not shine shoes, quite simple.

Or, I would look for customers who would pay more for a shoe shine.

I know a shoe-shiner in a hotel in Tokyo, Japan the Akasaka Tokyu Hotel in the Akasaka area of Tokyo who makes more money shining shoes than the hotel manager. He was an electrical engineer who gave that up to shine shoes.

Yes, there are dealers who charge too little, there are wannabee detailers who charge to little, that is prevelant in every industry.

But low ball competition is not an excuse for not having the proper equipment one needs to do a first class job. And when a person knows that such equipment will allow him/her to do a better job they are giving their customers less than they should by not having it.

Philosphically that is my position about being in business. If I know what is first class and I cannot provide it I should not be in the business.

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 12, 2006 03:31PM
Guys,

Thanks for all of the useful information. I have access to the air compressor of my landlord and I tell you. It saves times and makes the interior more crisp and clean, but Doug you are right, need to wear the proper equipment when using it dust flies everywhere. You all have made this experience worth it's weight in gold or platinum whatever you prefer. Thanks a lot.....
September 12, 2006 03:50PM
A good suggestion in using an air compressor to blow out the interior of the vehicle is the following:

1. Take out all loose items belonging to the customer and put in a "loose items" plastic bag

2. Take out floormats

3. Take out ashtrays

4. Vacuum up as much heavy dirt as you can before blowing out the interior.

Doing these things keeps dust and grit in the air to a minimum.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
November 12, 2006 12:18PM
Hi...

@ Bud, you tellin me that my service provided isnt as good as yours cos i dont own a air blower??? I hate to break it too ya buddy, but i guarantee that i can do AT LEAST as good of a job as you can...

I will however admit that getting one will save me a little time...
November 12, 2006 02:26PM
Not saying anything about how you detail a car, only the advantage of having an air compressor. But since you do not have one you cannot know the advantages.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 14, 2006 01:37PM
Actually I have been in it for a while and yes i do know the advantages of them...I have used them at alot of the places i had worked before opening my own business...They also come in handy for alot of other unrelated jobs too...
November 14, 2006 03:25PM
Then it might seem logical that knowing the advantages of an air compressor you would have one in your own business?

Regards
November 16, 2006 04:05AM
I have been using compressors for years, and once you do know the advantages it creates in your detail business, you cannot go back to the old way of thinking. It will save you a lot of time and pay for itself very quickly. Sooner or later your detailing business needs to step up and get a compressor. Some of us older fellows like the less wear & tear on our body's idea, and having the right tool for the job. If you like busting your knuckles and not being able to get at those spots that air will help you with, I suggest you get yourself a large first aid kit, and target soccer mom mini-van's, may you then be convinced?

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
November 24, 2006 01:46AM
Hypotheically speaking if using a compressor shaved 15mins(which it does) per detail on average of $160 for a 4 hour job thats $10per car in your pocket after maybe only 1 job per day for a month and a half learning how. The rest goes in your pocket or that etxra 30 mins could profit you another $25 on a hand wash that day! Or in a production shop with 10 employees thats a half hour per employee a day which would equate to another 5 usable man hours adding up to another 1.25 car per day or minus the wages if you don't have that much work. To me 1.25 cars per day at $160 =$200 a day, 5 days a week $1000, that could be $50,000 per year, can't quite argue that! Right BudA?

Plus its a right off at the end of the year and valued asset to the biz itself or do you not want the 50k.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2006 03:04PM by hogwash.
November 24, 2006 08:01AM
Jeff:

You are thinking like a very smart business person.

That is what the purchase of any piece of equipment is all about, to increase productivity and reduce labor which in both cases means more money in your pocket.

Those who excuse buying equipment saying they do not need it, often are those who think they cannot afford it and rather than admit that, they make the excuse they do not need it.

But if they are detailing any number of cars per week/month they are paying for the equipment without owning it.

How? Easy by the higher labor costs to get the same amount of work donel and/or less productivity per day.

When we going to put a deal together with regard to your shop to eliminate chemicals in bottles? Portable vacuums and portable extractors?

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 24, 2006 02:20PM
When you design me a unit that works in conjuction with my G2 AutoVac Rail-vac Jr. and hangs from the ceiling or when I give up my beloved BC Product X and other products I've come so much to rely on.
November 24, 2006 03:02PM
Jeff

As I have no idea what a G2 AutoVac Rail-vac Jr or BC Product X are I could not begin to assist you.

We have designed numerous "hang from the ceiling" detailing systems that incorporate a person's central vacuum system and I am sure we could do the same for you, but you have to tell us what you want exactly and what we have to work with.

Regards
Bud Abraham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login