Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Boat Help - Mark on white vinyl

Posted by NorCal Dan 
Boat Help - Mark on white vinyl
October 28, 2006 01:44AM
I know this is an auto forum, but I am hoping you can help me out. I have a brand new Malibu Sunsetter with white interior and I have a black mark on one of the seats. I can't get out. The manufacturer states it uses 38-ounce G&T Marine Vinyl. I have used the Babes seat soap that came with the boat and then Marine Spray 9 that was suggested by a local boat shop. I am thinking I may have to do some type of bleaching. Any suggestions?
It looks like a scratch, I have tried picking at it with my thumbnail and it makes no difference one way or another. I can supply pics.
Re: Boat Help - Mark on white vinyl
October 28, 2006 06:41AM
Brian Angelucci is the guy you need to talk to. I don't do boats but I can tell you that vinyl can take abuse. With that in mind, you may want to try Meguiar's Heavy-duty Vinyl Cleaner. I use it to remove wax from vinyl trim. On interiors, I've found it effective but it can bleach out some of the color.

Simple Green and a brush can work but I've found that it leaves the surface a little more porous or something and dirt sticks more in the future. The next time you use this technique, it doesn't work as well.

If all else fails, you can use rubbing compound, which will damage the vinyl a bit as it abrades away the stain.

Solvents like lacquer thinner do damage but that can be minimized by removing the solvent quickly.
You can find Brian's web site and Boat detailing CD ROM offer on this forum's past posts and the search feature.
Doug
October 28, 2006 01:32PM
Dan,

Contrary to popular opinions, when it comes to aggressive cleaning, vinyl boat upholstery cannot take very much abuse. Sure, you may be able to remove the black mark on your seat, however there is an even greater chance that you will also remove the protective marine grade topcoat in the process. That topcoat is there to help protect the vinyl against the harmful UV rays of the sun along with added protection against other environmental contamination.

The best advice is to get the facts directly from the manufacture. Visit their website and click on 'Products' and then view their 'General Cleaning Information'. That is the only sure way to get accurate information that will keep you from damaging the vinyl upholstery.

GT Industries, Marine Specialties Group
[www.marinespecialtiesgroup.com]

---------------

FRANK CANNA
Mirror Finish Detailing
20th Year 1986-2006

Boat Detailing Guide
[mysite.verizon.net]
October 28, 2006 02:56PM
Frank:
OOPS!
Doug
October 28, 2006 03:25PM
Doug,

There are certian types of materials on both cars and boats that you have got to be very careful with. Sometimes it is way too easy for someone to get overly aggressive and before they realize it, they have actually gone way beyond their original intentions, causing damage.

It is always better to remain cautious when doing anything that you think may result in possibly going too far and making something worse.

October 28, 2006 04:27PM
Thank for the responses, I may try the compound, have tried simple green, what about , acetone, light bleach or oxyclean?
As far as UV protection. I keep a light coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant, I read about it on a Malibu boat owners forum and it has very high reviews.
The mark seems to be a scratch with the discolored area below the surface, so I am hoping the buffing with compound will help.
I'll wait for more responses before I try anything.
October 28, 2006 04:57PM
Dan:
The strongest solvent you should try is prepsol, alsol, or new car solvent.
Thinner or acetone will damage you seat. What made the mark? if your not sure what to do contact a Professional Boat Detailer in your area and let them look at it.
October 28, 2006 05:03PM
Not sure what caused it, think a shoe or wakeboard/ski fin. If you don't mind, I will e-mail you a pic and you can let me know what you think. I don't see a way to post it on this forum.
October 28, 2006 06:45PM
Sure Dan you can contact me from my web site
October 28, 2006 08:08PM
This is primarily a car care soft roadster top product-

To remove heavier dirt / stains: Renovo Fabric Soft Top Dry Cleaner (www.renovointernational.com) gently lifts dirt, road grime, bird dropping, tree sap and salt from your canvas top without compromising water repellence
Periodically (dependant on climatic conditions) apply a UV protection (303TM Aerospace Protectant) to fabric by keeping spray about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movement spray lightly but do not soak fabric.

For badly stained or neglected convertible fabric tops leave fabric cleaner on overnight, keep damp by covering with a plastic sheet, once stains are removed rinse thoroughly and apply protection.
October 28, 2006 10:51PM
The way you must approach this problem is the following:

1. What are the particulars of the material you are working on. Many good detailers have given you their "opinions" but none seem to know exactly what the particulars of the vinyl are.

So, what I would do is contact the boat manufacturer, not the distributor, but the company that manufacturers the boat. I am sure they have a website. Then address an email to their technical dept and ask them what kind of vinyl is used on that particular model and what they would recommend to clean it, especially the black spot that you have. However, before doing that you need to ascertain what the spot is, which is the second step.

2. Determine the problem. It is a stain? If so, what is the material causing the stain.

When you know the particulars of the material you are working on and the problem you are trying to correct, then and only then, do you attempt to correct the problem which begins with:

3. Choosing the right chemical that will remove the stain and not damage the material, in this case, the vinyl.

4. Choosing the right tools.

5. Choosing the right process.

This is the professional diagnostic approach to solving problems and it requires knowledge, not "guesstinates."

Regards
Bud Abraham
October 28, 2006 11:17PM
Thanks - I will e-mail the manufacturer before trying any harsher
October 29, 2006 07:58PM
Dan:

Contacting some vinyl manufacturers I got the following information on cleaning vinyl or naugahyde:

LIGHT SOILING

A solution of 10^% low pH shampoo and warm water applied with a soft damp cloth will remove most soiling. If necessary, a solution of chemical and water and a soft bristle brush wiping away residue when done.

HEAVIER SOILING NOT REMOVED BY ABOVE METHODS

Dampen a soft cloth with naptha and rub gently. Rinse with water dampened cloth.

NOTE: Use extreme caution with this method. Complete only in a well ventilated area and away from any open flame as naptha is flamable.

NOTE; First try on an inconspicuous area before using on the original stain to be sure there is no damage.

DIFFICULT STAINS, NOT REMOVED BY ABOVE METHODS

Dampen soft cloth with a solution of bleach (sodium hypochlorite); 10% bleach, 90% water and rub gently. Rinse with a water dampened cloth to remove bleach concentration. If necessary, allow a 1:10 diluted bleach solution to puddle on the affected area or apply with a soaked cloth for about 30 minutes. Rinse with a water-dampened cloth to remove any remaing bleach concentrate.

NOTE: Again try this method on an inconspicuous area to insure there is no damage.

DISCLAIMER: These methods are not suggested by Bud Abraham or DETAIL PLUS they are provided by the manufacturer of the vinyl product.

Hope that helps.

Bud Abraham
October 29, 2006 10:52PM
The Soft Scrub worked, it took about 10-12 applications and about 15 min of light rubbing. Once done I applied a liberal coat of 303 and covered the spot with plastic. Looks Good! Thanks all especialy Randy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2006 11:25PM by NorCal Dan.
October 30, 2006 01:54AM
Thanks Dan Glad I could help you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login