Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ozone Generators

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Ozone Generators
July 02, 2002 11:00AM
Hello fellow detailers,

I am new to this forum but have been detailing for over 7 years now. Here is my question: Has anyone had any experience with an Ozone Generator and if so, how well does it destroy the bacteria and mold odors. Also, are the health risks as serious as I've heard? I'm starting to advance my business with add-on services and heard "permanent odor removal" can be very profitable. Thanks for your future help guys/girls!

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Ozone Generators
July 02, 2002 11:36AM
The only experience I have had is I have one in our hot tub. It is supposed to assist the chemicals in destroying bacteria and odors. We have had it for about 6 years and it really dosen't do anything. We have been looking at new hot tubs and they are not even selling them with these in them anymore. That should tell you they were a gimmick. As far as health concerns I don't know of any. I have spent HOURS relaxing in the hot tub with the ozone running and know of no ill effects. Maybe another indication they do nothing.
July 03, 2002 12:43AM
I have an Alpine Air machine for my home and it produces ions and ozone. I had terrible smoke odor in my closets when I bought this house and the ozone really worked on it. I also had the same problem in my car when I bought it and ran the machine on high for an entire weekend shut inside the car and it reduced the smoke odor to almost nothing. This machine was intended for home use and I havent had any experience with the ones made for the auto.

John
July 03, 2002 02:43PM
i used one about ten years ago. it didn't seem to work. it only had a 1 hour timer so you would have to keep re-setting it. i don't remember the name of the company that made the machine. maybe the technology has improved a little.
July 13, 2002 08:42PM
I have run across them years ago when I was in the upholstery biz, but there's some controversy about their use in vehicle applications. Ozone is the stuff in the air that drys out and damages the rubber and plastics in your car when it sits in the sunlight. (you might have noticed the same odor on your skin after being out in the sun) One wonders what effect it has when placed in a confined area of the car's interior. Also I seem to recall some heath issues of being exposed to the ozone genrated by these devices. I really can't say I've ever seem one used lately, and not in a detailing shop. There are other means of deodorizing which work and arn't so questionable. smiling smiley

Roy R. Kieken
September 09, 2002 07:29PM
I've used these back when I was working for a carpet cleaning business. I dont know if they actually worked or not, being we did so much stuff after a flood it's hard to say what exactly was the contributing factor in clearing the air.

But I can say If you walked into a room where one was running for a while it would cause a burning sensation in your lungs. I had it happen to me once when I didn't know they were in the room and waltzed right in. It was not fun.

I'd say though that any oder killing agent/device is not all that great for you. I have used some tough stuff when working for that carpet cleaning company and they scare me just knowing what they can do.

Please! Be careful and protect yourself when using this kind of stuff.

Rick

-=-
#1's - IMO
WAX:....... Collonites - This wax is the best wax ever!!!
SEALANT:... Meguiars Medallion Premium
TIRE:......... Meguiars Gold Class Endurance
RIMS:.........Eagle One - A2Z
Interior:.... Formula 2001 (303 is too much $)
September 09, 2002 10:25PM
I have used an alpine system in autos for about 10 years and have found them to be effective, however there are heath risks at a specific ppm exposure. As long as it is being used in a responsible manner and staff aren't huffing off of it should be no problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login