Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Engine Compartment

Posted by Stitch 
Engine Compartment
July 02, 2002 05:35PM
I am looking for a product that may be used on the flat black paint areas that have been factory applied under the hood of some vehicles, (as in the older c4 Corvettes) I recently attended a show in which a person had applied a product to this area as well as the rubber and vinyl areas of the compartment. He said he got the product from a professional detailer, and that it came as an industrial product.

He said he bought it in a 1 gallon qty. and that he just mists it on.

Any thoughts would be great
Re: Engine Compartment
July 02, 2002 06:14PM
Hmmmm Stitch,

That description narrows it down to about 1000 different products. smiling smiley

But I would suggest that as long as it is a factory applied finish you can use just about any type of dressing, perhaps like the aerosol type from Stoner or Auto Magic, ALTHOUGH I prefer to use a water based dressing just because it is not solvent based and the solvents may harm the painted areas over time.

Water based dressings may not have the shine of most solvent based dressings but they are just safer to work with and they wear off in a natural manner.

Anthony

July 03, 2002 08:07PM
Hi Stitch:

Definitely use a water-based dressing as a silicone solvent based will destroy your O2 sensors. Auto Magic (Super Dress-It), Stoner and 3M make great dressings for all rubber, vinyl, and painted parts of the engine. Stay away from Armor All, since it will dry and crack vinyl and rubber over time.

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 03, 2002 08:23PM
i use meguirs 40 on the c4 corvettes i do,mist it on before you wash the car ,let it cook as it will run into all the nooks a crannies,buff it down it will look new
good luck,mike at the shine shop
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login