Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Transmission fluid on windshield and body!!!

Posted by Keith 
Transmission fluid on windshield and body!!!
July 03, 2002 07:34PM
You might ask how this could happen. Well some AS$(@$&!!! decided to dump a quart of transmission fluid in the windshield wash bucket at the local filling station. I was filling the car with gas and decided to give the windshield a quick squegee to get the top layer of bugs off. Dumped the sponge/squeegee tool into the bucket and never gave it a look until it hit the winshield. Too late. It was running down my windshield and the A pillar down the fender and on to the ground! I had to use the nasty paper towels to get it off the paint finishas quic
Luckily this happened less than a mile from home. Got home and I did what we are not supposed to do and washed the entire car with Dawn dish soap. Actually Sal Zaino recommends this before the Zaino treatment.
It did remove all the oily residue and now my car (2000 Monte Carlo SS black) is ready for a glaze, polish and wax. I'm wondering if I need to clay bar first? If I do just the affected area or the whole car? Any suggestions are always appreciated. You can bet I will NEVER use a filling station window wash again!
Re: Transmission fluid on windshield and body!!!
July 03, 2002 07:56PM
Hey Keith:
That's good philosophy...like never eat a pickle from the barrel at Wawa. Anyway, clay the whole car, only if it needs it. Feel for grit in the paint after you wash it. Since you used Dawn, I can see from here that your paint is a little dull looking! Trust me, us detailer's seen it all. I can't stress enough the need for a good polishing. Remember, polish shines while wax ONLY protects (unless polymer agents are added.)

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 04, 2002 05:59AM
It won't hurt anything if you clay the whole car, you can look at it as one of those "nothing to lose by doing it" things.

I am different from some detailers as I recognise that a dish soap wash doesn't hurt the paint, it just could strip all the wax off. Hell, I've been known to use a combination of dish soap and Simple Green when I wash a car for the first time, or after claying (so far, every car I've done this to, the owner thought I had buffed it out too). Using this "drastic" method to wash leaves you with a perfectly clean surface to work on.

If you already have some Zaino, use it. If not ORDER SOME, you won't be disappointed.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
July 04, 2002 03:14PM
I have looked at the Zaino product many times and have heard all the rave reviews but it just seems to me to be a bit of a convoluted system. Jumping back and forth between the polish lok, and then the glaze and then back again and then multiple coats and then let sit overnight etc. etc. etc.
It certainly is not an economical (cost or time wise) product to use.
I have also heard from many people that you get just as good if not better results with a 2 or 3 step process using Meguiars or 3M products and in a lot less time. some day I plan on buying the Zaino system and spending several days and do a side by side comparison against 3M.
will post any results here if and when I ever get around to doing it.
July 04, 2002 04:41PM
The Polish Loc is only used every 6 months or so (just like you would use a regular polish) as far as economics, I get two full coats on my cavalier with one ounce of Zaino.

You don't have to let it set overnight, an hour will work, and if you don't like that idea, use the ZFX. With it, you can remove a coat in 20 minutes.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login