Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Book Report : Start Your Own Auto Detailing Business

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Book Report : Start Your Own Auto Detailing Business
December 17, 2006 11:47PM
Gentlemen-
I finally read the book I see advertised on this site so often, " Entrepreneur's Start Your Own Automobile Detailing Business. I ordered it through my public library.
Among the points made in the book are the need to hire an accountant, have a computer, figure out your projected costs for phones, copier, pagers, security devices, supplies and so on. Small Business Administration loans are discussed and the website www.sba.gov is provided. Tax deductions and the need for a mileage record book in the glove compartment, deducting for such things as magazines for the waiting room and other tax matters are covered. Some familiar names such as Gary Kouba, Bud Abraham and Anthony Orosco pop up.
In all, it is 178 pages of correct advice. The weak side of this book is its fluffy optimism. The authors seem to have no conception of how hard it would be for a shop owner to find time to learn PDR, train new employees, attend trade shows, teach community seminars or whatever. There is no solid examination of the big problem of competition in pricing ; There is always someone offering to detail for less until he goes belly up. There are carwashes and dealers dumb enough to operate their detailing operations at a loss just to keep busy, or keep customers happy.

I put a great deal of emphasis on refining the full detail process before going into business but this book makes it sound as if someone who has never done a car for money could open a shop and succeed.

In cold climates, winter can be slow even for heated shops because people don't want to leave their houses and they don't want to wash off salt and slush if the car will get splattered the next day anyway. That means slow times, with the bills still due. I don't remember this being covered realistically.
Those concerns aside, I think the book would help anyone and is worth reading.
But I'm glad I got it at the library instead of buying it. If that makes me sound to you like a tightwad, you don't understand how expenses matter in this business.
Doug

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2006 02:19AM by Doug Delmont.
Re: Book Report : Start Your Own Auto Detailing Business
December 19, 2006 05:21AM
Doug:

>> If that makes me sound to you like a tightwad

I think it makes you sound like particularly efficient and resourceful manager!

Regards,

Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster
[web-cars.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login