Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New car new to the site

Posted by grammyB 
New car new to the site
December 21, 2006 04:29PM
Just found this site and it is great, seems to be lots of good info from well informed people.

Professional detailing is not my profession but I do pride my self on maintaining my vehicles, daily drivers and weekend classics in like new condition.
I Just purchased a New 2006 Saab 9.3 convertible from the dealer in SE Pennsylvania. It arrived at the dealer in July so its been outside for 6 months. They prepped it but I am sure it was mostly a spray detail.

My question for you pros is:

What would be the preferred approach to ensuring the exterior is properly sealed, waxed or polished for this new vehicle to get through the winter and early spring.

Also is there any recommended coatings to help protect the convertible top. I do not mind having the work done professionally but I do have the do it your self bug and really enjoy maintaining my cars.

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2006 06:59PM by grammyB.
Re: New car new to the site
December 21, 2006 11:00PM
GrammyB-
Since the car is new and the finish is presumably perfect, you should avoid aggressive or abrasive cleaners or cleaner/waxes. Since you desire long-lasting protection, you should consider a good-quality polymer sealant such as Zaino ( see the Zaino threads-use the control panel feature to collapse threads and customize your view ). Bud Abraham's www.detailplus.com offers Diamond Plus, a professional sealant that had been praised by several forum members.
Klasse is very popular. Meguiar's #21 is too.
First, feel the finish to see if it needs to be clayed. Remove tar and bugs completely. Then wax. Read past threads on all these subjects. Use the search feature.
If you want a car cover, check out www.autoanything.com .
Doug
December 22, 2006 04:05AM
Collinite Insulator wax
December 22, 2006 02:49PM
New Again is right. Read the two major Collinite threads for more info. I never tried it but two Collinite products did great in the Guru Reports test.

Doug
December 24, 2006 05:52AM
Hi. In my opinion, I would machine polish and then paint seal the car. Maybe do this
step once or twice a year. I would wax your car three to four times a year.
Ragg Topp makes a good convertible top cleaner and protectant. It comes in a kit, both cleaner and protectant.
I use Ardex products and they are located in SE PA.
Any questions feel free to email me at jtdetail3@verizon.net.
Happy hoildays. Joe.
December 26, 2006 07:48PM
thanks for the feed back, as expected some very useful information here.

NEW AGAIN - I use collinite 925 fiberglass boat wax on a classic Boston Whaler boat and love it. Granted it is formulated for use on fiberglass but it holds up extraordinarily well, better than any other product I have tried. will last a full season April through November in a salt water environment. a little difficult to clean out the old wax in the spring but the work is worth the effort. The MSDS sheet for 845 insulator wax and 925 fiberglass boat wax are identical they are both listed on the same form leading me to believe they are the same wax product and simply labeled for marketing purposes and different uses.

I have wondered how it may work on a painted car surface. I may try the insulator wax after a little more investigation.

JTFORD - A detailer I use locally for work vehicles uses ARDEX products. their cars come out very well and are as smooth as a baby's bottom when done, but they seem to last only about two-three months before needing the cleaning and polishing again which seems to be a bit short. I usually get 4-6 months between full details with regular weekly bi weekly washing and occasional spray detail waxing following every third or fourth wash.

Doug - this baby gets garaged which obviously helps with the overall upkeep.

once again thanks for the feedback, very helpful..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2006 08:01PM by grammyB.
December 26, 2006 08:30PM
GrammyB

Ardex carry some great products one of the BEST is Flint glaze wax comes in a large tud or 13oz can and will last for six months with PROPER paint work. Sound like the detailers used EXPRESS/PURE GOLD which will last 2-3 months. Next time advise the detailers to polish with STEREO GLAZE #2 followed with the FLINT GLAZE price might be higher in service because they won't come around as often,But you will have better PROTECTION. GOOD LUCK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2006 08:36PM by NEW AGAIN.
December 26, 2006 11:46PM
grammyB, I have used insulator wax on painted surfaces and it works well and last a while. Just a little more effort to get off.
NEW AGAIN, THat is exactly how I would have done that car. Maybe paint sealant at
first and than flint glaze about 3 months later.
GOOD LUCK with the Saab. Joe
December 27, 2006 07:56AM
Grammy

Your best bet is to take your vehicle to the detailer you mention and let them take care of your car care needs. They have the chemical products; the tools and the knowledge to do right by your car.

It really does not much matter which protection product you use, they have all the same characteristics. Some of course, are better than others in terms of shine, but then they are not so good in terms of corrosion resistence.

As long as you have some protection on the paint you are ok, today's clear coat paint finishes are really durable and will shine and last if they are not subjected to acid rain or severe scratching. And, with some protection be it a wax or paint sealant they will last much longer and look good.

Regards
BudAbraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login