Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Prices ???

Prices ???
July 08, 2007 11:53PM
I am an avid amatuer detailer thinking of starting a business. Nothing big just starting small at my house. I need some advice on how to get the word out to customers ( I usually just do my own cars & trucks ). Also, How much should I charge? For example how much for the following: Hand wash - Wax with a DA polisher - clean windows - Clean & wax/polish wheels - door jambs - dress wheel wells & tires - dress all exterior plastics - clean & dress all interior - windows ( inside ) - vacumn & shampoo floor mats and carpet - vacumn trunk - clean & dress plastics & hoses under hood. Also, how much time should all of this take??? Thanks for any help you guys can give. This is a fabulous website
Re: Prices ???
July 09, 2007 03:46AM
East-
A full detail done right takes 3.5 or more hours unless it is a maintenance detail done on an already-clean car. ( my opinion only )
See our marketing thread for a compilation of ideas as well as a classic flame-up between Bud and me. Use the search feature if nec. to find the thread.
As Bud says, you must figure your costs and charge enough to meet those costs-at least. Most detailers charge too little to make much of a profit.
Bud also points out that operating out of your home could expose you to lawsuits involving the house and zoning problems, not to mention violations of the Clean Water Act. Again, use the search function for more info. Consult your insurance agent.
Post again and let us know how things progress.
Doug
July 10, 2007 12:35AM
No Doug, a full detail done right takes as long as it takes . It depends on type of vehicle, process, speed and customer expectations. The problem with you giving professional advise is your not a Pro !!!The virtual world of detailing will not teach you this
July 10, 2007 01:28AM
Mr. Simone-
I set 3.5 as a minimum for doing a good job-not a maximum or an average. I think you misread my post. To clarify:
Hack detail for auction : 2 hours
Maintenance detail by fast pro done right : 2.5 hrs min.
Show Car Detail : 3 days average
Rotten Minivan : 5 Hrs. Min. and more like eight.
So...am I right in estimating 3.5 as a minimum or am I wrong ?
Doug
July 10, 2007 02:34AM
Appears you are grasping at straws once again!!! No, No, No, and NO
You have to accurately understand detailing and labor hours per job. One again, it is impossible to live in a virtual world and understand this business. May I ask who gave you this labor time theory???
July 10, 2007 01:36PM
Simone exactly what is your problem?????

You have posted 12 times on this forum and most of the postings seems to be personally directed at assaulting Doug. Why is this?

I do not suggest that you need to agree with him, but stop turning this place into sandbox, you are a visitor not even a moderator or owner of the forum and it is not your place to dictate who or what should be posted...if you wish to participate and you feel the information is inappropriate and you can give more to this industry then ... provide constructive information instead of creating conflict

Doug has made it very clear he is not a professional and INTELLIGENT people know this...it should be clear to all the forum is slowly dyeing and Doug is only trying to stimulate discussion. Do I agree with many of his commentaries he has made...NO!
July 10, 2007 04:57PM
Concoursgarage,

If you don’t agree with Dougs enthusiast driven theory of pricing then please disagree publicly, or maybe you would be in YOUR best interest to write a article about it. What is my issue with Doug???? Re-Read my original post on mobileworks concerning enthusiast driven forums!!! I also would like to take note on your phrase, “ INTELLIGENT people know this”. You have been around far to long to assume and make such a inaccurate statement.
When Doug or anyone for that matter want’s to talk about wax, it’s really not hurting our industry. It does effect our industry when inaccurate “business information” is blindly given without conflicting opinion. I thought your mission for this industry was to inform the misinformed??? If you agree with your own statement, “breathing life into this forum”, then please lead by example and take Dougs position as lead poster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 06:29PM by Simone.
July 12, 2007 12:17AM
ARE THERE ANY DETAILERS THAT ARE LOOKING FOR A JOB IN SOCAL?
July 12, 2007 12:17AM
ARE THERE ANY DETAILERS THAT ARE LOOKING FOR A JOB IN SOCAL?
July 12, 2007 12:21AM
I AM LOOKING FOR A MOBILE DETAILER THAT IS LAGIT AND NOT A "FLY BY NIGHT" OPERATION.
July 12, 2007 02:01AM
Doug, You hit it right on the mark with the times to do a detail.
July 12, 2007 03:16AM
LARRY,
are you a detailer?
July 12, 2007 05:29AM
First off, thanks Gina and thanks Larry. Second, in answer to Mr.Simones latest question, lets say I've done enough detailing to form an opinion on how fast it is humanly possible to produce a quality full detail. That, of course, doesn't guarantee that I'm right. If anyone wishes to dispute my time estimates, that's fine . I didn't pull the estimates out of thin air or off the internet. I did not mean to imply that East End should figure his costs based on these time estimates, whether they be minimums or otherwise.
As Col. Fairbairn said in his book, " The reader need not agree with our opinions.
It will be sufficient for the time being if we may be granted a title to them. "
( Rough quote from memory )
Until next time...Keep your microfiber dry and your food outside your cars....
Doug
July 12, 2007 05:50AM
LET ME KNOW IF MY PRICE RANGE SEEMS TO HIGH FOR THE REGION OF SO-CALIFORNIA.
WASH IN AND OUT-$40
DETAILS IN AND OUT(CARS)-$200&up (TRUCKS)-$250&up
just wondering. i havent kept up with my competitors prices in awhile. thanks
July 12, 2007 05:43PM
Competition in the detailing industry has little to do with what YOU should be charging. Every vehicle is different, so labor is based on time vs hourly rate. Establish a hourly rate based on costs and profit then price your time accordantly. Most detailers from the statements made on professional detailing forums haven’t a idea how to make profit in a detailing business. Many don’t understand simple business math. It’s the blind leading the blind. Understanding costs in Southern California , your labor rate should be around $80hr. This also depends on if your mobile or fixed. Can you get enough business at that high of a hourly labor rate?
July 12, 2007 05:51PM
SIMONE-
MY HOURLY RATE IS ABOUT $80HR SOMETIMES HIGHER. IM BASED OUT OF CALABASAS AND MALIBU. THERE IS DEF ENOUGH BUSINESS OUT HERE TO KEEP ME GOING. ACTUALLY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. I HAVE MORE CLIENTS THAN I HAVE TIME FOR. I CALL THEM CLIENTS AND NOT CUSTOMERS BECAUSE AFTER THEY USE MY SERVICE ONCE THEY USE NO ONE BUT ME. IF YOU ARE A DETAILER IN MY AREA LET ME KNOW AND I CAN PASS SOME BUSINESS YOUR WAY IF U NEED IT.
July 31, 2007 08:22PM
I just started a detailing business. I am not a fly by night operation and I am currently seeking more business. I have my own truck and equipment and I am searching for clients. I am in Orange county area.
August 01, 2007 01:33AM
mike305 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LARRY,
> are you a detailer?

I use to be. I now work part time for a high line restoration shop. We have a detail dept. Our detailer matches the times for detailing that Doug says.I am to old to keep up the pace that our detailer does, so I dont do any detailing there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login