Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Scuff marks

Posted by Roncol 
Scuff marks
November 10, 2007 02:12PM
Like to thank you guys for the dog hair tips.Wondered if you could help with this one,the black marks left when people enter or leave there car made by the soles of there shoes.Have tried several products with limited success,thanks,Ron.
Re: Scuff marks
November 10, 2007 03:34PM
Ron-
If you refer to scuffs on vinyl kick panels, try Griot's Interior Cleaner or an APC and a brush. When that fails to remove the stain, try Meguiar's HD Vinyl Cleaner, which may do some damage. Next, try a little rubbing compound. If all else fails, you can use lacquer thinner ( which will do damage ). Cover up any damage with a dressing. If you mean carpet stains, read on...
In my experience, these marks have normally been caused by oil or grease that got tracked in and left on the carpet. Therefore, it stands to reason that a degreaser or an all purpose cleaner/degreaser would be the best thing to use as a stain remover.I've had good luck with Mean Green, Simple Green and Spray Nine.

Citrus cleaners, De-SolveIt and Goo-Gone have also worked for me but I find they do best with extra dwell time. Citri-Gel did not impress me as much.

Stoner's Tarminator works on greasy stains even though it is a bug/tar remover for exterior use. Use "AYOR". Others have recommended mineral spirits, Coleman Fuel and AcriliKleen.

Some generally good stain removers I've tried include Awesome APC and Awesome Carpet Stain Remover ( at better dollar stores everywhere ), Like Magic pink stuff, Griot's Interior Cleaner, Ford Triple Clean, and Eagle One Spot and Stain Remover.
The procedure is as follows :
_Vacuum away all loose dirt.
-Pre-spot the stains
-Let the chemicals dwell.
-Remove the stains with clean white cotton towels. Wet the towels with water if appropriate. Avoid spreading the stain ; blot before rubbing.
-Keep working with clean towels, add additional chemical (if needed, brush) until the towels come up clean, so no more stain is being removed.
-Use damp and dry towels to rinse out as much chemical as possible.
-Shampoo and extract the carpets. I have no experience with vapor steam cleaners but many pros swear by them- see www.daimer.com
Note- for carpeted mats : remove, hang, wet, brush in Simple Green, pressure rinse ( keep enough distance to avoid damaging the mats ).
For more info, see Auto Magic's videos and Web Site www.autowaxcompany.com .
Hope that covers it, Ron...
Doug

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2007 04:21PM by Doug Delmont.
November 10, 2007 07:53PM
Roncol:

The scuff marks are from rubber soles or heels from shoes and are a very common occurance in motor vehicles.

Logic tells you that if the scuff marks are rubber you need a chemical product that will dissolve rubber.

What I have found in my years in the detailing business is for you to take some mineral spirits solvent and a piece of "000" steel wool spraying the solvent in the steel wool.

Then rub, ever so gently on the scuff so as to not scratch or damage the plastic or vinyl and voila, you will remove the scuff. Wipe off residual and protect with a water-based, silicone dressing.

This advise comes from the "voice of experience," not opinion.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 11, 2007 01:29AM
Bud-
My advice was also based on experience, as I made clear. I'm not convinced that the marks are normally rubber. Shoe polish and tracked-in oil come to mind.
Your procedure sounds creative but I wonder what the reaction would be if I had been the one to suggest mineral spirits and steel wool for use on vinyl...
Doug
November 11, 2007 02:57AM
?

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 04:57PM by MartinHernandez.
November 11, 2007 08:46PM
Doug, why do you think I was referring to you? I just said the voice of experience. By the way if the "scuffs" were grease they would come right off, the scuffs he is refering to is what we professional detailers know come from the rubber of soles, and they are a bitch to remove.

If a professional detailer says something works, as did the last poster, Simple Green and a brush, then it must work. I, on the other hand, have found that water based cleaner do not seem to have much effect on rubber scuff marks.

Bud Abraham
November 11, 2007 10:49PM
For scuff marks and very dirty leather Mr Clean Magic Ereaser works, and so does 3M white scuff pads.Be careful on hard plastic.
November 12, 2007 12:07PM
Bud-
Fair enough. Sorry I took it as a jab at me.
Martin-
Good to see you contributing again. I like Simple Green also.
Larry-
I bought an "eraser" but forgot to try it out. Thanks.
Doug
November 12, 2007 08:34PM
Thanks again guys for the tips.Hey Martin was wondering what all the detailers from San Antonio did during the wettest summer on record? when i set up my truck i paid the extra money for a 3500psi pressure washer so was able to get work cleaning drives, Ron.
November 16, 2007 11:11PM
?

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 05:01PM by MartinHernandez.
November 29, 2007 05:06AM
Ive used clay for more than just lifting contaminants from paint. Ive used it to rubb out scuffs on paint and plastic. Ofcourse keep the troubled area well lubricated at all times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login