Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Molding adhesive

Posted by oli 
oli
Molding adhesive
February 19, 2008 12:01AM
Does anybody have a recommendation for a molding adhesive?
Thanks
Re: Molding adhesive
February 22, 2008 03:45AM
3m double sided tape.
oli
February 22, 2008 02:55PM
I was thinking that Ifiniti might be using something else for their molding, especially ones that are located just behind the wheels. The dealer just said to use automotive glue, but I am not sure which one is the strongest, so I don't have to repeat the procedure every year or so.
February 23, 2008 02:32AM
Nissan/Infiniti issues collision repair procedures, with specifications for everything from approved refinish paint, type of welding processes for the various types of steels used, to even the types of adhesives used for various parts of trim, on each model.

I would either visit a quality PBE supply store or a large I-CAR trained and certified bodyshop in order to locate the correct adhesive for the part.

Ketch
February 23, 2008 01:00PM
Oil-
If you do end up experimenting with glue, I'm betting that " AUTOMOTIVE GOOP ", available from some parts shops and maybe Wal-Mart will work. I've used it for a few odd tasks myself.
New Again is right that the 3M Doublestick tape is used for this purpose. Just be sure you buy the right tape because 3M makes Doublestick tape in several grades for various applications.
Doug
oli
February 23, 2008 03:35PM
Thanks guys
February 23, 2008 07:02PM
Was thinking about how it would be easy for you to obtain the correct adhesive, then it hit me.

We have some technical service bulletins for ValuGard products issued by Nissan/Infttiniti.

A couple of years ago, they issued a new one, and I was in Chicago, had some time, so stopped by a Nissan dealer and chatted with the Service Manager to see if he was aware of the bulletin.

He said wait a minute, keyed into his Nissan Service Data Base, and there it was.

Their dealer service data base is well done, has everything one would need to find regarding most everything.

Much better than to take a chance on a "maybe it will work" approach.

So, if you know a Nissan/Infiniti Service Manager, they can easily find the correct product for you.

Ketch
February 24, 2008 02:14PM
Grumpy2-
If you went to all the trouble you describe, why didn't you simply tell Oli which of your products is recommended, and give us all the answer ?
Your latest posts seem more calculated to build yourself up as an expert than to provide usable answers to problems like Oli's.
Doug
February 24, 2008 02:55PM
How would I know what is the correct adhesive, I am not the one with the concern?

My answer was professional, not to "experiment", go get something you think would work.

He can get the correct answer from a dealer of the brand of vehicle, and know just what is the right product.

I sure am not going to send him to the Dollar Store.

If one is a true professional, they should use professional sources when looking for information.

Not some, "why not experiment", unless they wish to take a chance on creating a worse and more expensive problem, than what they started with.

Ketch
oli
February 25, 2008 08:06PM
I made a call to the local Nissan dealership here and he had never had to order any adhesive, they just ordered the molding. He said the adhesive comes with the molding. He can't access the data base, but if I could get him a part number he would be glad to order it for me. Made a call to the Infiniti people and they said any kind of double sided tape, almost got the feeling that he never had anybody ask that question and so that was just his best guess. Maybe he couldn't be bother with such a mundane request from a do it yourselfer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 01:52PM by oli.
February 26, 2008 12:19AM
There you go!

Now you know for sure what is the required tape/adhesive, versus guessing.

Good luck, glad you found your correct answer.

Ketch
oli
March 01, 2008 03:37AM
I ended up going to my local body shop and he was nice enough to apply some heavy duty 3M adhesive to the molding. His experience is that he has customers come back because the molding is hanging down or just plain not working. I hope that is not the case with me. He has talked to the distributors of 3M and they say it is the same product the manufacturers use, go figure. So what he does, is buy the whole molding, as costly as it is, and it works better than the going the less expensive route.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login