Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Carpet Extractors

Posted by ebranden 
Carpet Extractors
June 28, 2008 11:47PM
Who has the best carpet extractors,and why?
Re: Carpet Extractors
June 29, 2008 07:06AM
The Ninja has been praised probably more than any other on forums but I have no experience with it.
Daimer has a big name .
Bud carries a lot of extractors on his Detail Plus site ...
There is a lot of discussion of extractors on the Mobileworks forums .
Hope that is a start.
Doug
June 29, 2008 10:31PM
Doug, thank you for the recommendation on our line of extractors.

Ebranden:

There are several considerations when purchasing an extractor:

a. Budget - what can you afford? You may want to drive a Mercedes, but only have the money to afford a VW.

b. Tank Size - they come in 2 gallons to 13 gallons. What you want is a unit that is big enough so you do not have to fill several times during the day. For example, if a mobile detailer is doing one car per stop then our Tuffy Jr would work, 2 gallons. But if you were doing 4 cars in one stop then you might want th PYTHON which is 6 gallons.

c. Vacuum Motor - people talk about lift or suction, but what you are talking about is really the size of the vacuum motor. Most units have either a 2 stage motor (2 impellors) or 3 stage motor (3 impellors). The 3 is best, that is, will give you more "lift" or "suction." But the 2 stage is not all that bad, kind of like a V6 vs V8. Both got a lot of pep, but the 8 has more.
Don't be fooled by the 2 - 2 stage motor units. This does not help the detailer. Dual motor units are for residential carpet cleaners that might have to put say a 40' hose on a unit to get upstairs in a house. The longer hose you use the less lift you have, so with dual motors you are able to maintain the same lift.

d. Heat - you have tank heaters and in line heaters. Most of the better machines use in line heaters because they instantly heat the solution. Tank heaters are like boiling water, you have to wait until the tank heater heats the solution. In line heaters usually run from 1000 watts; 1200 watts 2000 watts and 2400 watts.
Of all the factors in considering an extractor heat is the key one. Heat does more to increase the cleaning than pressure, lift, etc.
Buy a unit with as large an inline heater as you can afford.

e. Pump - most units use a 100psi pump. Some have as low as 60psi and some even use a small pressure pump to achieve 375psi. You can get by with a 100psi.

f. Hose - most come with a 15' to 20' hose @ 1 1/2" diameter. Most units come with the solution line tie-wrapped to the outside of the vacuum hose. A bit cumbersome.
The better units (or an option) have a "hide-a-hose" feature where the solu-
tion line is inside the vacuum hose. This has a special cuff that has holes in the side to accommodate the solution line. Makes the use of the hose much easier.

g. Nozzle - some are plastic and the only advantage of these is that you can see what you are extracting, otherwise they can, and do, break when dropped on the ground.
Most durable is a stainless steel nozzle about 3" to 4" wide.
An optional feature, and standard on top of the line units, is the view a view window in the top of the nozzle so you can see what you are extracting.
Another optional feature is an enclosure for the spray nozzle on the bottom of the stainless steel which keeps the tip spray no wider than the 3" or 4" eliminating mess on the interior.

Those are what I think are the important features to consider when purchasing an extractor. Pricing: they can range from $750 to $2,000.

Take a look at our line at www.detailplus.com and you will see a variety of the features I mention as a way to compare one unit from another.

As for which is best? Most companies all use the same vacuum motors, the same pumps and in some cases the same heaters. So it is really a case of whether the company will be in business to offer you aftersale support and if they give you a good price feature for feature.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
July 08, 2008 03:33PM
Thank you Doug Delmont and Buda for you replies. I've been investigating some of the diffent sites that you have recommended.
July 09, 2008 02:20AM
Exactly, "service of the unit after the purchase, should service be needed".

Which is why when we explored the "service net work", and we don't sell extractors, but do offer recommendations, we found that Mytee has a very complete service network.

There are other factors, to be sure, price, shipping, etc.

However, after all that, and there are many quality brands out there to consider, a quality extractor is a big expense, and for a unit you will have for, hopefully, producing profits for your company for years.

So, a nation wide service network should be considered when purchasing an extractor.

Ketch
July 10, 2008 01:35AM
Below is a past post that started a long thread on Mytee problems ...

Use the SEARCH function to read the whole thread...
Doug
( old post )
Mytee extractor lemon
Posted by: Brian Angelucci (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2004 04:05PM

<HTML>I'm very curious to know if anyone is experiencing a lot of problems with their extractor like I am. Today my heating element went on my extractor which really pissed me off since I bought this thing back in November 2003.

This past January I had to ship it back to San Diego to have the pump replaced. Two months later the tank strap breaks off and then a week later a castor wheel falls off. The adjustable handle won't stay up when tightened and now the heater just went.

Anyone else have these problems with your extractor? Or did I just receive a lemon. Are there any laws regarding continuous defective equipment?</HTML>
Take care,

Brian Angelucci
Precision Auto & Marine
( END OF OLD POST )
July 10, 2008 01:51AM
At that time, the owner had passed daily operations over to an employee who he trusted.

By 2005 he had to go back in, as the employee was short cutting quality, services, components, etc.

Needless to say, it was even worse when he did a complete audit of the books, terrible things that the employee did, you know what I mean.

Today, Mytee is back on top.

Stuff happens in all businesses, it just happens.

Ketch
November 19, 2008 07:58PM
Hi ebranden,

I have been in the detailing business for over 26 years and tried every extractor on the market. Like Mytee HP60 Spyder ,Mytee Speedster Deluxe Carpet Extractor ,Mytee Kodiak K100 Carpet Extractor. I was not happy with these machine that I ownwed. Untill 3 years ago when upgrading my business I found the
THE GOLDEN GATE NORTH EXTRACTOR on the web. This machine is absolutely one of the best extractor that if have ever owned. It makes all my interior jobs a piece of cake. The hot water heat up really fast for machine.Could not ask for a better tool with my business. Very friendly staff to answer all your questions
on this machine. This is the link were I found this jewel.
[www.goldengatenorth.com]
November 28, 2008 12:49AM
I have owned a Aztec Hotrod Hot Spotter for almost 2 years. Since I'm a mobile detailer the Aztec was the best value for the money. It has been problem free,and does a Great job.
November 28, 2008 01:13AM
Check out extractors from Nu Products and DETAIL PLUS both members of IDA.

Regards
November 30, 2008 02:05AM
Brian you are talking about an extractor that is 5 years old here! Sure things are going to wear out and break down and will need repaired and replaced. These extractors are just like automobiles.... to keep them running you must maintain them properly. What car can you drive for 5 years without some type of mechanical repair needing done? Same is true for your extractor. I bet it has made you a lot of money the last 5 years though. Mytee has an excellent product and as Ron mentioned their network of repair centers is extensive. If I can be of any help getting you any parts or providing a service center please don't hesitate to contact me. Have a great holiday season!

- Nick Vacco, Detailking.com
November 30, 2008 03:52AM
Nick-
That was an old post of Brian's that I reprinted . The extractor in question was relatively new . Sorry if the reprinting created confusion .
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login