Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Not a professional, but need HELP!

Posted by stonewhite 
Not a professional, but need HELP!
October 07, 2008 01:24AM
Hello All-
I just recently purchased a 09 Dodge Challenger 2 weeks ago, and if i can explain it right, the car has plastic lower parts (rear quarters, front and rear bumpers)
that are painted to match the body color, in my case white. So, I have washed it
several times with no problems, until today. And both problems are on the plastic
parts only.
So, during washing, i noticed that a couple of large yellow bug splats, that I got just yesterday, had already "stained" the clearcoat....looks like it seeped
into/under the clearcoat. And, there were brownish stains on the rear quarters that were on both the metal/plastic parts...looked kind of like oil or something.
But, it washed off the metal fine, and again stained the white plastic. I tried using (on both stains) bug and tar remover, clay bar, and liquid clay bar with no
luck!
I might be getting paranoid here, but took it to a dealer Saturday for oil change
and got the complimentary wash, wonder if they could have used some kind of soap/
detergent that made the plastic parts susceptible to stains??
Also, I did drive it in the rain today for the first time, before I washed it.
Thanks for your help
Re: Not a professional, but need HELP!
October 07, 2008 02:19AM
Read your post.
Confusing, very difficult to provide an answer that is not one that is of the "I am a wanta-be detailer", etc.
Try presenting your concerns, one at a time.

Here is why I say such.

It would appear that part is a ferrous metal concern, plus, I am not sure of the true date of manufactuer of your vehicle.

Look inside the driver's door, there is a "sticker", which will provide the month and year of the date of build.

The VIN wll provide what plant assemblied the vehicle, however difficult for you to know,as it's chassis is the same as a 300C or a Magnum or a Charger, which would indicate it was assembled in the Canadian plant.

Since you state it is white, it is a clear coat, and may have ferrous metal contamination.

Please, provide as much in-depth information as you are able.

Ketch
October 07, 2008 03:17AM
Ketch-Thanks for your reply, it was manufactured in Canada, in August.
You think it might be a ferrous metal contamination? how would this manifest itself in just the plastic parts?....only the plastic parts are staining. If I can explain it more precisely, I have a few yellow splats from bugs, that would typically wash off any other vehicle, be it plastic or metal. However, the "meat"
off the bugs washed off, leaving a yellow stain which appears to have stained the plastic and/or clearcoat. I got the same effect on the quarters, where it looks like I drove through something brown-ish (oil ?) in the rain today, it sprayed back on the quarters (behind the rear tire, the quarter panel is divided, plastic on the lower half, metal on the upper). The brown stuff washed off the metal, but stained the plastic. Hope this makes it a bit clearer. Thanks again.
October 07, 2008 03:28PM
Are you using a greasy, real wet look tire dressing?

These type of dressing are well known for creating permanent staining on flex agent parts.

The TPO parts use a different paint/clear than the sheet metal.

It has "flex agents" added, which makes the clear much more porus, so it accepts staining very easily.

The dealer may have "clayed" the vehicle before you got it.

When they clay, it does not remove all of the particle, only the "bloom" of it.

On flex agent painted parts, the stain spreads much more and since the ferrous particle is still in the clear, it will quickly start staining more, spreading.

Ketch
October 07, 2008 04:53PM
Ketch.....so, if I understand you correctly, it sounds like these stains are
permanent. I have used the tire wet/spray on, but only after it is parked, and sits overnight before it is driven again... this is just my personal car, and the first one I've ever had that has has the flex agent plastic parts. It sounds like a fairly common thing for this stuff to stain. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
October 09, 2008 02:03PM
stonewhite :
Amateurs are welcome on this forum.

My guess is that the chemicals in the bugs ate into your paint and discolored it as well ( white sometimes contains yellow as an ingredient ) .

If you attempt to compound the stains out with, for instance, Meguiar's Diamond cut but the stains remain, I would consider them permanent . Compound removes a little paint and that's as far as I'd go to correct a stain . Wet sanding would remove too much paint .

Visit www.zainostore.com . Zaino's products are geared to enthusiasts like you . You can apply Z-2 Pro in multiple coats for the best protection and it resists being washed off by harsh car wash soaps .

Doug
October 13, 2008 05:52AM
ill get back to you with the actual problem but i just had to write this very simple advice, NEVER LET ANYONE ELSE WASH YOUR CAR, they dont care what they use or how they use it, a true detailer would never let just anyone wash their car, well... maybe another detailer! never never let just anyone wash your car and never go into one of the car washes, stay tuned for a response for the actual question you had
October 27, 2008 03:41AM
Try an acrylic based solvent!
October 29, 2008 02:38AM
"Try an acrylic based solvent"????

Excuse me, would you care to tell all more about this "acrylic based solvent'?

Acrylic's and polymers come from the same base of crude oil.

As the crude is "cracked", many components, complex chemical chains, come out of the "cracking process".

Some are used to produce coatings or dressings or feed stocks for many products.

Please understand that a "solvent" is a carrier of many of the chemical chains derived from the cracking process, which has created the resins, etc, that make up coatings.

The two main "carriers", water is the most used, followed by various "hydrocarbon" derived "solvents", which are the result of the "cracking/refining" process.

So, tell all of those who visit and read, just what is a readily known, "acrylic solvent".

Ketch
October 30, 2008 02:27AM
Still waiting for your professional, acknowledged, education trained response to my post.

I have lots of time, will wait a bit longer.

Ketch
November 10, 2008 04:24PM
Ketch-
big1poop Appears to be in error . The most polite way to respond would be to correct him and consider the damage fixed. Instead, you have chosen to box him in on a question he obviously can't answer and then to rub it in with sarcasm .

Your approach is guaranteed to deter others from posting here because they assume that any error will open them up to humiliation and interrogation . Do you really want to have this forum all to yourself ? I doubt it .

I hope you'll give some thought to the effect of insulting the person instead of simply countering his assertions .

This is not a moderated forum , so it behooves us to maintain a friendly atmosphere .
Doug
November 11, 2008 01:19AM
Yeah, you give me a real thought, actually more than a thought.

As I read through your lack of valid advice, advice that is so off the professional chart, I realized, you are an idiot, with a serious "lack of self esteem" concern.

Ketch
November 11, 2008 05:39PM
So I take it you aren't going to stop insulting everybody ?

Doug
November 11, 2008 11:58PM
I am not doing anything other than showing that you are a "wantabe" that uses this forum to present only your opinion, to feed your ego, rather than use valid and documented information.

You have never presented just what professional or documented education, you may or my not have, that would lead one to believe you are anything other than a "mouth" that chatters about what you think detailing, chemicals or processes are.

There are enough "wantabe hero's" on the net, without your uneducated, poor and misleading advice being given to those who are seeking intelligent and validated, documented, by the vehicle manufacturers and their suppliers, without your often misleading or incorrect posts.
November 11, 2008 11:58PM
I am not doing anything other than showing that you are a "wantabe" that uses this forum to present only your opinion, to feed your ego, rather than use valid and documented information.

You have never presented just what professional or documented education, you may or my not have, that would lead one to believe you are anything other than a "mouth" that chatters about what you think detailing, chemicals or processes are.

There are enough "wantabe hero's" on the net, without your uneducated, poor and misleading advice being given to those who are seeking intelligent and validated, documented, by the vehicle manufacturers and their suppliers, without your often misleading or incorrect posts.
November 12, 2008 12:43AM
Alas, I am finally unmasked ! ( LOL)

Doug
November 12, 2008 03:33AM
Yes, if one reads any of your "advice post" may easily recognize, Doug.

You have read other forums, gather up what fits your agenda, then spout it here, passing most off as your "expert advice".

Time to get real, after all there are those who take the "professional advice" as though you might really know what you are talking about.

They can go to thousands of websites, etc and find the same "wantabee's" B/S advice as you throw out here.

Get real, Doug, you just use what other's who have walked the walk, to talk your talk.

Ketch
November 12, 2008 04:41AM
Not that I always respect your advice...

Doug
November 14, 2008 04:15AM
Dear Detailing Friends,
In case anyone here doesn't understand why Ketch changed the subject from his ill-mannered posts to his disparaging claims about me, here is some history .
Ketch insults anyone here who is not a professional detailer, which is ironic since Ketch is ( as I understand it ) not now a professional detailer himself. He is a salesman / supplier .
I tested one of Ketch's products years ago and posted my negative opinion of it. From that time on, Ketch has followed me around on this forum, dropping catty hints as well as launching tirades at me .
His problem is not that my testing, opinions and advice are bad . He is upset that I give enthusiast detailers and curiosity seekers the same information the pros get . It is his ulterior motive , I believe, to wage a war for the "brothel owners" against the "street whores" .

I respect people. If someone's car breaks down, I'm happy to help him find out whats wrong . If you lock yourself out of the car, I'm happy to lend a hand and a Slim Jim . It is the same way with detailing ; Life's tough enough without being fed double-talk or derided as a " wannabe " or " amateur " just because you posted a question . I won't treat people the way Ketch does and I guess that contrast makes him look bad . And he accuses me of lifting my info from other forums, which is false .
I invite anyone to read the archives here and see for himself whether I provide good info or not . I only ask that you not take Ketch's word for it .
If you disagree with me on any point, by all means post and tell us . No matter what, don't be intimidated by the " Tag Team " of Bud and Ketch .

Regards to all our members and readers, amateur and professional !
Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 08:10AM by Doug Delmont.
November 16, 2008 03:01AM
My final post, as it is not in the best interest of Doug to present real, valid and acknowedged information that does not agree with his "expertise".

I just returned from 4 days in Mexico, working with Mazda de Mexico (which is owned and controlled by Mazda Motors America.

On Friday evening, I received an award, for Automotive International and it's ValuGard brand, for mine and the company's work in providing education and processes, with Mazda tested and proven products.

This was the first opening of Mazda de Mexico's detailing in it's developement of 35 dealerships.

The day before, the Director of Parts and Service for Mazda de Mexico, with the lead paint and trim engineer of Mazda Motors of America, announceed at dealership meeting of all dealer principals, that the ValuGard product line is the only line of products that they will accept for new vehicle preperation, used car reconditioning and customer detailing.

This program will be introduced in the next two years into the USA market.

Additionally, ValuGard is in the final stages of doing the same program for another, but with larger sales numbers, of the same program and products.

So, read and accept what each may find to be of comfort to them, from the "Unknown Who or What I am, Doug".

I will no longer find the time to attempt provide documented and valid information to the posts and advice on this forum, which is the input of the Unknown, with no known or industry accepted creditional.

Just be careful, everyone, there are people out there who are "wantabe's" and will do whatever they have to in order to feed their need.

Bye all,

Ketch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login