Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Orange Peel Effect

Posted by chiernguy 
Orange Peel Effect
December 01, 2008 04:26PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum first off, and have taken an interest in auto detailing due to my current project. My car has recently been painted and i received it yesterday. My problem with it is the orange peel effect that the car has. To me its very noticeable. What should be my next step here? Return the car to the painter and have him sand and apply another coat of clear or try to polish the car to a nice shine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Re: Orange Peel Effect
December 06, 2008 05:31AM
With today's paints, orange peel is common . I'm not sure how much is normal, though .
My impression is that it would probably be better for you to refrain from compounding away any of your clear coat simply to reduce orange peel .
You might be able to hide it temporarily with several coats of Zaino ...
Doug
December 06, 2008 05:40PM
Checking with some of the members of the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION whose membership is some of the finest detail craftsmen in the country and some of the best equipment/chemical suppliers, their advise was to return it to the paint shop and ask them to wet or dry sand it down and then polish it.

How much did you pay for the paint job? I am told that unless the body shop planned to wet/dry sand as part of the estimate they might not be responsible.

You might find a good detailer among the members of the IDA in your area who could do the sanding and buffing and get rid of the orange peel, but I would not consider doing it myself.
December 06, 2008 11:11PM
Marnie-
It would be nice if some of these great IDA members you constantly tout would join our forum and contribute directly .
In the meantime, I stand by my advice. What they are encouraging would thin the clear coat , reducing its life at the least . At worst, it could thin the clearcoat to the point that it would fail early. Important ingredients settle in the top layer of the clear coat. We don't know how thick the clear coat is on this guy's car . Even a paint depth guage isn't foolproof on a repaint like this.

You aren't supposed to remove more than 3/8 mil of Clear coat and that isn't a whole lot .

To risk so much simply to get rid of normal orange peel would be a mistake .
Also, on clear coats, normally, when you get completely rid of the orange peel, you are close to removing ALL the clear coat . Re-spraying the clear can create new problems .
The guy can try using multiple coats of Zaino on a test spot and see how it turns out . If you doubt me, ask the expert members of the International Detailing Association ; They are, no doubt, as amazed by Zaino as I am .
Doug
December 08, 2008 06:30AM
Mr Delmont:

It is not my job to tell IDA members what to do. There are two IDA websites that our members and others can post on: www.the-ida.com and the IDA Forum on www.mobileworks.com

With regard to your last comment, you are right and you are wrong, according to our contacts with Akzo-Sikkens, one of the premium automotive paint companies in the world.

If you are dealing with a factory clearcoat which is no more than 1.5 mils (1/1000th of an inch) then wet/dry sanding would do what you said, possibly cause pre-mature failure of the clear-coat.

HOWEVER, this was an aftermarket paint job and Akzo-Sikkens advises their paint customers to spray 2.75 mils of clearcoat on the vehicle in order to have sufficient film to wet/dry sand in the event of orange peel.

So you see, your information is only partiallly correct, and in this case, a repaint you are giving incorrect information.
December 11, 2008 02:43AM
Marnie -
I stand corrected. I based my judgments on some repainted cars I had experience with . I was unaware of the recommendation you cited . It makes sense that extra clear-coat would allow you to remove the orange peel without ruining the job .

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login