Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Getting Started on a lower budget...

Posted by Tirwander 
Getting Started on a lower budget...
April 27, 2009 12:56AM
Hello! I am, like many of us, struggling to get by these days with my normal job... I work as a cook at night and it isn't cutting it. I am 19 and wanted to start detailing on the side. I think I would enjoy it and know I would do a good job. Problem is I cannot afford to start with ALL the things you guys recommend in your lists. They are awesome lists and really helpful though. So thank you, first off, for doing that for all of us new guys! Can some of you maybe help me to figure out what would be a good starting place for a young new-comer? I know I will have to start with a more basic "detailing" and then work my way up as I can afford more products and eventually (i hope) a work space other than my driveway... haha I would so greatly appreciate any help. Thanks so much!!

-Brian
Re: Getting Started on a lower budget...
April 28, 2009 01:02AM
Brian-
I know you won't like this answer, but the best course of action for you would be to get a job in detailing first. That will give you time to learn and save money toward doing it right on your own.

Another possibility is finding a mobile detailer who would let you operate his business for a share in the profits. He could go do something else while you sweat and bring in the money.

Perhaps you can get a car wash to let you do express wax jobs on their property.

If you can find an auto repair shop or body shop that would let you use a bay for weekend detailing, while they are closed, you'll be able to operate in all weather.

Most people don't like to work hard. If you'll do the hard work, I bet somebody will strike a deal with you.

Doug
April 28, 2009 03:02AM
Ok, so I hear where you are coming from but there isn't much around here where I live. Very small town... I would be the first lol I worked some with a detailer as a side job in the last town I lived in but he was a jerk and went out of business. I don't much want to get advice from him. I figured I would do a couple cars a week, low-key, on the side for now and then work up. No one I could work with here. Any advice based on all that? Or ideas on products to start with now? :-p thanks!
April 30, 2009 02:59AM
I don't want to start getting negative but if I don't, Bud will beat me to it.
Problems you may run into involve Zoning, liability for any damage to cars, business insurance, ecological damage from run-off of liquids, violation of clean water laws, possible violation of terms of your home owner's insurance policy and/or possible violations of your lease including storage of chemicals.

As to products, I'd try to select one water-based dressing to "do it all". Possible choices include AutoMagic's choices , Griot's, Zaino Z-16, Meguiar's #40, Adam's Polishes VRT and 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Some members have recommended Bud's Diamond Plus sealant and some liked Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant. I have yet to try either. Zaino Z-2 Pro is great but must be applied by hand. Z-CS Clear Seal can be hand applied and simply left to dry, so it may be a real speedy sealant for pros. Who knows ?
Doug
April 30, 2009 02:00PM
Let me suggest that you join the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION and have them assist you in how to go about setting up a detailing business.

You can find us at www.the-ida.com

Regards
May 01, 2009 02:53AM
Here is a good story on the subject of recommending products.

I visited a store that sells Mother's and 303 products. The store owner told me he owns a show car, so naturally I asked if he'd heard of Zaino. He responded that a friend had given him a bottle of "some stuff " that the friend said is the best product out there. He didn't seem interested in Zaino but said he might Google it if his friend's " stuff " did not do the trick.

A couple weeks later, I visited the store again and the man informed me that he'd looked at the bottle of " stuff " his friend gave him and... it turned out to be Zaino !

Doug
May 02, 2009 08:21PM
Brian

Contact me buda@detailplus.com and I will get you into the business on a limited budget.

Bud Abraham
May 03, 2009 02:25AM
?

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 05:05PM by MartinHernandez.
May 07, 2009 03:37AM
Brian-
MartinHernandez actually did what he is recommending. His opinion carries weight.

You can cut costs by refusing to take on jobs that require serious paint correction. That way you can put off buying a rotary buffer, compounds and sanding supplies.

You can look for deals on used equipment on Craigslist and Ebay ( which some wags call " E-fence " ).
Check our past 'marketing' threads for cheap ways to advertise, by using the search function.
You can extract with a consumer-grade carpet-cleaning machine until you get a good extractor. I met a guy who used a Little Green machine by Bissel.

Related article link [www.detailersassociation.com]

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 04:59PM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login