Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I do not mean to beat a dead horse,but when are people going to figure it out?

Posted by billd55 
I do not mean to beat a dead horse,but when are people going to figure it out?
March 31, 2010 06:36PM
This makes me want to pull my hair out when I see this.I saw this post on another forum that points out exactly what I am trying to tell people in the detail business about using wax.<br>

The detailer states that the Black 06 SLK was detailed by a dealership whose detailer caused this problem.He states that he washed off about a gallon of wax/glaze off the car, and it took two washings with a citrus cleaner followed by
using a clay bar before starting the polishing.<br>

He also states he thinks the problem is caused by not cleaning the paint properly,or using used/dirty buffing pads.That may be the cause of the swirls,but the gallon of wax/glaze was the direct cause.Bud states that wax does not build up,and he also says that he felt there was no problem putting many coats of wax on a car.<br>

I do not mean to attack Bud, but the detailer at the dealership shows that there are many people in this business who are not giving the profession a favorable light.<br> What is also odd, is that the detailer does the right thing up to the final
step, but he applies a poly sealant followed by two coats of wax.If the wax caused the problem in the first place, then what is going to happen when it gets washed the wrong way?Correction will be used again.<br>

Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out. [truthindetailing.com]
Billd55: It would be virtually impossible to get a gallon of wax of essentially any kind meant for automobiles to stick to a vehicle. I would also say that you can build wax to a very, very small degree. We are talking mils here. You could possibly get a mil or less to stick to an already cured wax...but that would be only if the wax you are applying does not have any abrasive (as an overwhelming majority of products does) . The abrasive takes off about as much as you are putting on.... Wash off a gallon of wax.. It's this kind of illogical banter that makes it difficult for the detailer to make intelligent decisions about his chemical use.

The Chemist
Re: I do not mean to beat a dead horse,but when are people going to figure it out?
April 03, 2010 02:47PM
The Chemist

I believe he was not saying that a whole gallon of wax was used, but he was trying to make the point that what was used was very hard remove.The people
who bought the car had to pay this detailer to fix the problem caused by the dealership detailer.Something caused that problem,wax or glaze,so if he would have just washed it and clayed it there would have been no problem.Would you be
happy if you bought this car and it looked like that?<br>

It only takes about a mil of build up on a paint finish to make it look like a freak show mirror.If the abrasives take off the build up than it makes sense they could also wear down the clear coat.Why not use a paint sealant and avoid this problem completely?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login