Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES vs HAND WASHING

Posted by marnie 
AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES vs HAND WASHING
April 18, 2010 06:25PM
Buffer Bill:

What is your take on automatic carwashing vs hand washing?

You have strong opinions on most other topics I thought I would ask your opinion on this. And, do you have any documented information to back your opinion, or is it just your opinion?

Regards
Re: AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES vs HAND WASHING
April 27, 2010 04:27PM
The only things I do not like about car washes is that they use acid to clean the
rims which can etch.Also,they use spray wax which they charge extra for which I think is a complete joke.Although,some people do not like to to wash their vehicles,so I think a basic wash is needed.<br>

I like to hand wash my car with Dawn soap.In my video, by using an acrylic sealant
washing is very easy,and you save $10.00 vs going to a car wash.When you use wax, washing becomes far to complicated because you have to worry about what you cleaning product you can use.

This is just my opinion
April 29, 2010 08:37PM
Bill

The professional carwash industry is "on record" advising operators to not use hydroflouric acid to clean wheels nor to clean the body of the car.

Some "gas station" touchless car washes do use a two step process to clean cars:

a. First is a rinse with a low pH chemical
b. Followed by a rinse of a higher pH chemical
c. Then blasted with high pressure water

This non-friction chemical wash I would not recommend to any customer.

However, the professional conveyor washes that use cloth or foam washing materials are very safe on the vehicle finish.

Actually, it is the detail industry that uses acid to clean rims and wheels. That is one of the most popular chemicals used by detailers today. The acid used for cleaning wheels will not etch. You are getting this mixed up with acid rain which are acids from industrial plants; cement factories, etc. which can be much more damaging to the finish than HF acid. However, HF is very deadly and can kill a person if used incorrectly.

As for the spray protectants that car washes use keep in mind that they do not tell the customer this takes the place of a hand wax or sealant. In fact, most car washes do offer hand wax or sealant. They say the spray protectant will add to the shine of the finish and offer about 7 to 10 days protection.

Why would you wash your car with Dawn dishwashing detergent? This is a degreaser formulated to strip grease off of pots, pans and dishes. All this does is strip the wax or even your acrylic sealant off the car. Why not use a mild car wash shampoo.

Regards
August 14, 2010 01:23AM
Bud :
Just found this on HF Acid :
FATAL ACCIDENT HYDROFLUORIC ACID

Significant Incident-- While sitting at a fume cupboard processing mineral samples a laboratory technician knocked approximately I00 mls of hydrofluoric acid onto his thighs. Immediate 10% body burns ensued. Despite rapid flushing with water and emergency hospitalization he died 15 days later.

Contributing Factors--
Corrosive and systemic poisoning properties of hydrofluoric acid following dermal exposures i.e., 2% body burns from 70% hydrofluoric acid may cause death.
Failure to protect skin from exposure.
Failure to restrain cups of hydrofluoric acid in secure holders.
Failure to apply neutralizing cream (calcium gluconate gel).
Lack of emergency planning/facilities/personnel.
Poor work station design.
Recommendations on How to Work Safely With Hydrofluoric Acid--
Ensure that work is carried out in accordance with the Material Safety Data Sheet provided by the manufacturer/supplier.
Plan work in the knowledge that any exposure may cause permanent incapacity or death.
Where practicable substitute less dangerous substances.
Alert workers to the lethal properties of hydrofluoric acid.
Train workers in safe work procedures, personal protection and first aid/emergency procedures in accordance with the Material Safety Data Sheet for Hydrogen Fluoride.
Ensure that safety showers, eye wash facilities and calcium gluconate gel are available wherever hydrofluoric acid is used.
Laboratories should conform to established Laboratory Safety Guidelines
Persons should not work alone with hydrofluoric acid.
Link : [www.ehs.umass.edu]
Bud, any comments ?
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 01:25AM by Doug Delmont.
August 14, 2010 04:18PM
Doug

Good research, have been aware of that story for several years. The car wash industry had a summit with several of the major chemical companies in the industry and they all agreed that the use of Hydroflouric Acid was bad and that the car wash industry should not use it.

The INTERNATIONAL CAR WASH ASSOCIATION has gone on record as discouraging the use of HF, and Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine has written a couple of interesting articles on the use of acid.

Unfortunately the detail industry has not gone on record as condemning the use of HF.

My company stopped selling HF long ago concurring with those in the car wash industry that, no matter how effective, the danger to employees and customers is just too great, and offsets any advantages it offers in cleaning.

It seems that detailers just do not realize just how dangerous this chemical is to their health and safety. I guess it is like those who continue to smoke when conclusive evidence shows it causes lung cancer, heart disease, etc.

One of the most incidious things being done by chemical companies today is to label Hydroflouric Acid as "LO-pH Cleaner." This is done for one reason only to eliminate the name "acid." But no matter how you shake it out, it is acid.

On the pH scale we know that 7 is neutral and anything above 7 is akaline and the higher you go the "hotter' the chemical gets.

Conversely anything below 7 is acidic, and the lower you go the more acidic a chemical becomes. I believe, that HF is a 2 or 3 which is very acidic.

What are your thoughts Doug on this chemical and it's use by professional detailers and hobbiests like you?

Bud A
August 14, 2010 06:29PM
Bud :
I'm with you. I've spilled countless products onto my skin and clothes. I even got Castrol Super-clean APC in my eyes by getting a little on my hand and then later touching my eyes.
It seems like madness to handle a liquid that you can't afford to spill even once, especially to make detailers' wages. It is like playing around with explosives.

One spill and your medical bills will cancel out your profits.

I read that a car wash employee put on a pair of rubber gloves that were contaminated with HF and died.

I carry water everywhere I go, just in case a car battery blows up or I run into a HAZMAT spill on the highway. This way I can flush out my eyes, rinse my skin or drink the water-whatever is necessary.

Anyway, with a little patience, dwell time and elbow grease, most wheels will come clean. You may need to clay the wheels or polish with the Silver Bullet or use an All Purpose Cleaner followed by a non-acid wheel cleaner but acid is not necessary. If the wheels don't come clean, inform the customer that all SAFE methods were tried and failed.

I'm betting that the number of cases of detailers being burned by acid is vastly greater than reported ( assuming that there is in fact some reporting system in the first place ). After all, the injured are likely to be self-employed with no workers comp claim, illegal aliens or employees working off of the books or detailers working at their homes on their own projects.

One problem is that taking risks makes one feel brave and manly. In this vein, there was a news story recently about a man who got drunk, began playing with his pet Western Gaboon Viper snake, got bitten, went unconscious and was airlifted for treatment. Should that man be trusted with HF ?

Here is a link to an article that quotes, among others, Bud Abraham : [www.carwash.com]
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2010 01:49PM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login