Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I tried, but I am wasting my time

Posted by billd55 
I tried, but I am wasting my time
August 03, 2010 05:24PM
I have given some time away from this forum to see if it is worth my time to continue to post here anymore.To be honest, most of my friends and customers
tell me why waste your time.It is just like religion and politics, it is hard to
change people's minds.<br>

When I started in this business back in the early 90's,I worked for free to learn
about acrylic sealants. In fact, the guys that were detailing the Miami Vice cars and boat used on the show trained me how to apply the product I now use.<br>

I have tried to share info on paint correction and wax on several forums because
I am sick of seeing individuals who call themselves detailers destroy paint finishes.The industry does not seek a solution to the problem, and continues
to promote the two things that lead to the problem.<br>

I have shown many examples here of detailers posting pictures of cars they have done that are smeared with swirl marks, and how they removed them.Although, I know very well that wax will cover up swirls for a short period of time, so big
deal.<br>

I have said all I can say on this subject, and clearly no one here has any interest to try an acrylic sealant and see if I am right. Instead, it is only opinions from Bud, and Doug about what they know and use.<br>

So, I guess I have answered my question.It is real simple to be a detailer.
Buy Bud's $119 video, go to a 3 day course, or a seminar, and join a detailing association.Then purchase every wax and polish from Walmart on sale, and buy a buffer, so you can join the rest who promote and solve the swirl mark industry.

Everyone wants to start a detailing business,and they always ask what is the hidden gem to success.Well, it is really no different than selling hamburgers.
If they taste like crap, you go out of business.So,if you detail a car, and
swirl marks appear and stains come back on the carpet and cloth seats,well,
do you get the picture. My guess is, No.

Bud states in a post how he has put coats of wax on his black car and sees no
damage, but says the durabilty is not great.Well at some time, he will need to
do correction when that wax breaks down to remove it.Your clear coat is only the thickness of a human hair at best,so how many times do you use a MICRO FINE COMPOUND(HELLO, this product contains a grit) before it wears done the clear coat.

To ask a question like which do you prefer(wax or paint sealant) is really the reason why it is pointless for me to post anymore. What is the difference? A paint sealant will resist soap washing for a longer period, and that is about. They put an additive into to wax and call it a paint sealant. Do Your Homework.
Re: I tried, but I am wasting my time
August 03, 2010 09:02PM
Not sure just what kind of responses you have been expecting.
Lot's of detailers use polymer sealants or as you refer to them, acrylic.
There are not that many long time professional detailers who visit and post on this forum.
Been here for years, looking in, and like the detailing business, this place is no different, the players just keep on a changing, in business, out of business, etc.
Ketch
August 04, 2010 05:46AM
I like both sealant and wax. It just depends on the circumstances. I agree that sealant is more durable and easier to apply. However wax looks deeper and more shiny to my eye. Not trying to start a fight here, simply adding two cents on the matter.
August 04, 2010 02:51PM
Why are you upset because people may not take your advise. Some people will, some wont. After All its only advise. I myself belive in useing ammonia and water to clean fabric seats and carpets, but I dont expect anybody to try it . Please continue to post here. This forum needs people like you , Doug, and Bud.
August 05, 2010 12:34AM
heck, i will try it
August 05, 2010 02:07AM
If you try it , just wipe the fabric ,do not soak.
August 05, 2010 03:29PM
Larry A :
You are right that ammonia works on carpets and upholstery. It has a lot of cleaning power and is the original " all purpose cleaner ". It disinfects as well.

I have been told, though, that ammonia is hazardous to breathe and that it smells like urine to dogs, so they may urinate on carpets that were cleaned with ammonia. I don't know if these allegations are true. Perhaps others can shed some light on this...
Doug

P.S. A fine polish such as Meguiar's #7 will not damage a clearcoat even with frequent use.
August 05, 2010 03:40PM
Doug, you are right the smell is bad.A pro could not use it because he would be exposed to it to much.
August 06, 2010 03:32AM
Ammonia is a good cleaner "when used properly,"

That is, when it is used as part of a chemical formulation put together by a competent chemist that knows what they are doing, or if it is heavily diluted. (what is heavily diluted???).

Ammonia that you purchase off the shelf at the Dollar Store (where Doug Delmont would have you shop) has very high pH which will damage fabrics if used without some dilution.

As was already mentioned you also have the problem of ODOR, ammonia can not only "take your breathe away," it also lingers.

Ammonia is usually used in smaller amounts in hard surface cleaners such as glass cleaners to both clean and prevent streaking.

Used in an upholstery cleaner ammonia is used more as a pH modifier/stablizer rather than a cleaning additive.

Just some well intentioned information on the use of ammonia in cleaning interiors.

Safer to just use chemicals that are designed to be used for carpets, fabric upholstery, leather, glass, wheels, etc. It always amazing me why detailers think they have to be chemists when their life would be so much simpler by just purchasing chemicals for what they are formulated to be used for.

Regards
Bud Abraham
August 06, 2010 06:24AM
I would really like to learn more about the acrilic and how it is used on vehicles please
August 06, 2010 12:32PM
melissa12778 :
Acrylic products are used like waxes. The good ones, like Duragloss Swirl Mark Remover last around six months.

One of the most popular acrylic sealants is Klasse, which I've never tried.

Zaino Z-2 Pro is billed as a " polymer " product. It is the best stuff I've found.

Confidential to Bud :
"Ammonia is ammonia" ; the same stuff whether you buy it at the dollar store or at some fancy place like Walmart (LOL).

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 12:35PM by Doug Delmont.
August 06, 2010 02:11PM
Are you certain the quality of product you purchase at the Dollar Store is as good as what you purchase elsewhere?

Just a question
August 07, 2010 10:29PM
Bud-
Yes. I'm pretty sure the ammonia is the same as what you get elsewhere. It is like comparing Clorox brand bleach to generic bleach. The only difference is the price.
Doug
August 07, 2010 11:12PM
Then why are the brand name ammonia's and bleaches selling so well when you can get a gallon of bleach at the Dollar Store for one dollar.

My wife purchased cleaner from the Dollar Store and swears it is not as potent as 409 or Fantastic.

You are "pretty sure" but you really don't know for sure.

If you are going to give advise you should be certain what you are disseminating is completely accurate.

I certainly would not use the hair shampoo from the Dollar Store on my hair.

I note that most of the foods at the Dollar Store are made in China and India, no thanks.

Regards
August 08, 2010 05:29AM
interesting thread

paint correction will always have its place in custom paint shops and other places but if car manufacturers go any further with their new paints, there wont be enough paint to correct in the future

I do believe that the best way to treat paint from new is to correct it a few times with the softest pads that do the job and the one product systems available.
system 1 and Xpert are the best. 3D HD uno might be good but aint gonna buy their stuff.

after that, simply maintain the paint by using paint cleaners, glazes, conditioners and sealants from glare, aquartz, prima and other truly professional companies.

just keep filling in any new marks whenever you notice them and re seal and your paint will get better year after year

removing paint enough times affects clarity and depth and you will never get it back if you over correct
August 12, 2010 12:50PM
Bud :

You seem to like to argue about minute matters. Clorox is no different from generic bleach and that is common knowlege. Some people still don't know that and pay higher prices for the Clorox name.

I have not lab tested Ammonia brands to see if they are identical but I have used Parson's Anmmonia and several Dollar Store brands. I can't tell the difference. We aren't buying cancer drugs here, just ammonia and if there is some difference ( which I doubt ), who cares ?

The foods and hair care products you mention are irrelevant to this discussion.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login