Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coffee stains

Posted by STAN M 
Coffee stains
July 23, 2002 09:05PM
Is there any easy way to get brown coffee stains out of a gray 1989 astro van carpet?
Re: Coffee stains
July 23, 2002 10:41PM
Stan,

Yep. You need to look for a product by ChemSpec called "Spray and Go Coffee Stain Remover"

It comes in powder form and is then mixed with water, placed in a spray bottle and sprayed on the stained area. Be careful when using the product as it gives off some very harsh fumes at first.

Look for it at your better carpet cleaning/janitor supply houses or try www.topoftheline.com

Anthony

July 24, 2002 07:06PM
A mild mixture of Simple Green works very well, puts out no harmful vapors and leaves a clean scent. Oxy-Clean also works very well.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
July 24, 2002 08:53PM
Yeah I havent tried Oxi-Clean in a car but I have on my home carpet and it worked really well on a wine stain. I was suprised.

John
July 25, 2002 01:13AM
The Oxy-Clean is awesome. The method I use is to put 1 scoop into a 32 oz bottle (I usually plan ahead and put 4 scoops in a gallon container and pre-mix a large amount).

I soak a small area with the Oxi-Clean and let it soak for a minute, then use the Bissel and pull it out. If the stain is still there, I spray more Oxi-Clean and vac it out (a small toothbrush works well on extra-stubborn stains). Once I'm satisfied with the area, I take a 1 gallon garden sprayer filled with plain water and "rinse" the area (soak with water & immediately vac out). Usually 1 good 'soaking' will be enought to pull out all of the soap residue and remaining dirt.

Vacuuming out the Oxi-Clean (or whatever cleaner you are using) BEFORE 'rinsing' makes rinsing easier since most of the cleaner will already have been pulled out & less likely to 'foam up' making it difficult to tell if the area is thoroughly rinsed or not.

This is the method I used on my dad's "truck from hell," (light blue/grey interior) and it turned out great. Even the Strawberry/Rhubarb pie stain on the seat was almost completely removed. Just a slight discoloration that you HAVE to look for and KNOW WHERE to look to even see it.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
July 25, 2002 03:31PM
Hehe, one word of caution about the Oxi-Clean. I put some in a spray bottle with hot water and let it sit for about an hour then returned and (for reasons I dont remember) I took the top off and it exploded all over the living room where I was going to clean carpets! lol The stuff expanded as it gives off oxygen I guess. LOL I had the crap all over the walls and my sofa, even the ceiling but the whole room DID come out looking clean! hehe Ahh live and learn. I will use the stuff in my car the next time I clean the seats to see what it does. Thanks for the tip Don!

John
Re: Exploding Oxy-Clean
July 26, 2002 02:12AM
Yeah, I thought about mentioning that (I had a plastic gallon jug burst on me the other day).

The Oxy-Clean FOAMS big time if it's shaken too hard during the mixing. If you put it directly in a sealed bottle right afterwards....

The best way to mix a strong solution is to put it in a large bucket (5 gal wash buckets work great...just make sure it's clean) add 4 scoops of Oxy-Clean for every gallon. Use a clean paint 'stir stick' and mix it like you would Kool-Aid. You can either let it sit overnight (so the foam etc has a chance to go down) or use it immediately using a funnel to fill your sprayer.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login