Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tar Removers - what is best for paint?

Posted by Profile Detailer 
Tar Removers - what is best for paint?
September 20, 2010 08:42PM
Hi folks,

I'm trying to select a good tar remover and there are different types out there. One looks good - you spray it on, leave it to melt the tar and then you wash the mess away with a pressure washer. It sounds strong though so I checked the ingredients and it is white spirits based.

I'm told that the best tar removers are naphtha based - is that correct? Or are white spirits alright on the paint... The way I usually work is that I spray the product on and let it work while I attend to a different task. I then go back and remove the softened tar. However, its my least favorite job in detailing a car! I'm always looking for the best product to do the job but it has to be safe on the paint.

So what do you recommend - Naphtha or White Spirit?
Re: Tar Removers - what is best for paint?
September 21, 2010 12:28AM
I use adhesive remover, its a little slow but I have never seen it have an adverse affect on the clear coat or any moldings.
September 21, 2010 02:02AM
I use mineral spirits, which is the same as white spirits.
September 21, 2010 12:08PM
Bob M

Adhesive remover will work, but it is much more expensive than a mineral spirits or naptha-based product which works as well.

Try finding a naptha-based solvent to remove tar & grease you will be amazed at the results. It literally "melts" the tar while on the car.

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 22, 2010 12:13AM
Good advice, thanks Bud, I will source some out tomorrow!
September 22, 2010 12:32AM
Happy to assist you.

Have you considered joining the International network of detailers who are members of the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION?

The dues are only $50 per year and the Membership Certificate and Code of Ethics Certificate you can post on the wall of your office or your truck is more than enough to pay for the $50.

Go to the website www.the-ida.com

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 23, 2010 04:21PM
Was looking at the website, Bud, and I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the pointer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login