Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Car Wash layout

Posted by Profile Detailer 
Car Wash layout
September 24, 2010 08:38PM
Hi guys,
I'm opening a new car-wash operation. Its going to be a 2-man operation to begin with. At present, my work has been taking cars in for 2 days and doing a full machine polishing, etc on it. With winter coming in, that side of things is going to get quiet, so I want to ensure cash-flow.

What are pit-falls and obstacles that I should be watching out for? What are good strategies to ensure smooth operation?

From what I see now, Fridays, Saturdays & Sunday mornings will be the busiest times so I intend to offer standard detailing services on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. What are good add-on services or products at a detail & wash center? I was looking at a few things, from a self-service dog-wash section, to a buggy, pram & child-seat collection & cleaning service.

But if any of you are running a busy car wash line, I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks!
Re: Car Wash layout
September 24, 2010 10:59PM
If you are starting with only 2 men, I'd advise sticking to car washing only. Use related add-on services for extra profit :

1) Bug and tar removal followed by second wash/rinse.
2) Floor mat pressure wash with partial towel dry.
3) Wheel cleaning.
4) Dress tires.
5) Interior wipe-down including windows, interior vacuum.
6) Spray-on quick wax or use of a 'wash'n wax' car wash soap as an extra step to leave a layer of protection.
7) undercarriage wash

You could later add more employees and offer express detailing services.

You could add retail sale items such as floor mats, air freshener, sun shields and cargo mats.

Charge extra for muddy off-road vehicles and large vehicles.

Use long-handled brushes, mops and squeegees for speed. Maybe use a leaf blower to dry without scratching.

If car wash soap won't get the cars clean, you may need to try Palmolive or Dawn dish washing liquid, especially for wheels.

Simple Green is labeled for car washing if sufficiently diluted. I find it strips wax. It may be useful for very dirty vehicles and to remove road film from windshields.

Dress your staff in uniforms. Emphasize personal appearance, cleanliness, and a high-class demeanor. Have applicants sign a contract agreeing to all this as a condition of employment. That way they won't resent the rules later. ( I draw the line at making them get rid of their tattoos. LOL)
Better appearance means you can charge more.

Pit-falls include :
1) Being short-staffed on days when you are mobbed with customers, such as the day after 5 days of rain.
2) Employees stealing from customers' cars.
3) Employees forgetting to return floor mats etc. to customers' cars.
4) employees being accused of putting scratches into paint.
5) Failure to have a system that prevents missed areas or steps.

Emphasize the benefit of hand washing by naming your enterprise " TLC Car Wash " or " Speedy Gentle Car Wash "...
Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 02:16PM by Doug Delmont.
September 27, 2010 08:07PM
Doug, thanks for that. I have a lot of that in my biz plan, but hadn't thought of the car-mat cleaning service. I have a compressor and tornador, so I can clean and return them pretty quickly, and pretty much dry as well.

I thought about the tatoos as well. They are okay as long as its the company logo emblazoned on their backs!! Ha Ha!!

Speaking of which - I'm going to get Air Fresheners with the company logo on it. Its like €350 for a thousand and the price gets better when you order more (though I think that's enough to start with). Was thinking of a little text at the bottom saying "When the scent is gone, its time to visit us!" or something... I need to think about it a bit more to get it right. winking smiley

Thanks again.
October 07, 2010 07:33AM
It will be for your best interest to offer some marketing strategies. Maybe coupons or discounts. But make sure to have the marketing strategy studied well to make sure you won't lose any money or put a lot of effort without earning any. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login