Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Aluminum Rims

Posted by Dustin 
Aluminum Rims
October 11, 2010 12:18AM
The search feature isnt helping me so I figured Id post another topic. Aluminum rims. Ive used 1500 grit wet sand paper to sand aluminum rims down to mostly get etched brake dust off them, then polished them with a dremel and compound. Is this the only way to get etched dust off and what should they be sealed with afterwards? A paint sealer?
Re: Aluminum Rims
October 11, 2010 05:40AM
Many of the factory and aftermarket alumimum rims are clear-coated to avoid just what you describe.

If you are competent with a spray gun you can purchase an inexpensive paint spray gun, like a mini-jet gun and purchase some clear-coat and spray the wheels when you are finished with the restoration.

I would talk with an automotive paint distributor in your area to find out how to treat the wheel before spraying however.

CLEANING

While I do not recommend this product I would ask if you have used, hydroflouric wheel acid to clean them?

Regards
October 11, 2010 11:50PM
I havent used that strong of acid but have used Meguire's "Hot Rims" Wheel Cleaner (which smells like it has some acid in it) and it does an ok job but doesnt touch the brake dust. I have a buddy that sprays cars for a living, Ill ask him for some clear.
October 12, 2010 05:47AM
Look at the MSDS of the Meguiar's product. You need to know if this is an acid for your own personal protection. HF acid is deadly if misused
October 18, 2010 08:24AM
keep away from acids. the meguiars msds site is quite interesting reading
its where I first began to understand the ingredients in products and what each one does. Cas numbers etc.
October 18, 2010 11:06AM
MFX magic alunimum polish...A UNIQUE AND POTENT, YET SAFE, FORMULATION DESIGNED TO CREATE THE GREATEST POSSIBLE SHINE ON ALL ALUMINUM SURFACES AND CONDITIONS. CONTAINS NO ACID. IT HAS SPECIAL SLIP AGENTS AND SURFACTANTS TO MAKE POLISHING EASY. A FAVORITE WITH SOME DETAILERS, ESPECIALLY WHEN APPLIED WITH A BUFFER.
Been using this for years...
October 18, 2010 03:19PM
Buda, doesnt hydrofluoric acid eat the meat off of your bones? Doesnt sound safe. Im looking for something to take brake dust or etched dust off the rim. Im thinking of trying a clay bar.
October 18, 2010 03:42PM
There seems to be some misunderstanding about hydroflouric acid and it's use on automobile wheels. Let me provide some information about acid and wheels:

1. Hydroflouric acid does not "eat the meat off your bones," however it is very dangerous, deadly if a person breathes too much of the fumes or gets too much on their skin. It does penetrate and can de-calcify the bones.

2. As a cleaner it has been used to clean aluminum for years, and is still used today especially by trucking companies and individuals who clean aluminum trailers. The product is often marketed as "aluminum brightener." What it does is literally burn the oxidized layer of metal off the surface leaving a bright new surface.

3. There is nothing wrong with using a wheel cleaner with HF acid in it to clean wheels on vehicles. It works very effectively and very fast. Although it is not always the complete answer to getting baked on brake dust off wheels. I remember a few years back I tried for 2 hours to clean the baked on brake dust off an older BMW. I was using acid; steel wool, wire toothbrush, etc and still it took a long time and a lot of hard work.

You can use it safely on clear-coated wheels and on naked metal wheels with no danger of damage, if you follow the mfg's instructions.

The major issue with HF is it's danger to the user. You should really have protective clothing; safety glasses; rubber gloves and a respirator when using to completely protect yourself.

But then again, if you smoke cigarettes, what difference does it make?

CLAY - By the way, clay would not even begin to touch a wheel with baked on brake dust. You could use if on a clear-coated wheel with surface contamination with some effectiveness I supposed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 04:02PM by buda.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login