Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Waxing over a acrylic/teflon sealant. Why?

Posted by billd55 
Waxing over a acrylic/teflon sealant. Why?
February 25, 2011 12:45PM
I saw this post on another forum and thought I would post a quick response:

Ive got a new customer who just bought a brand new black 4 runner and already had the teflon applied by the dealership just a couple weeks ago .<br>

He wants me to take care of his vehicle on a regular basis and will let me do anything I recommend( NICE!) anyway I suggested we do regular waxing every 3 months .<br>

My 2 concerns are anytime Ive waxed over teflon it tends to streak. Does anyone have a wax they like that doesnt streak when used over teflon?<br>

Also Im concerned the wax wont stick properly to the teflon ?Is that an issue? I will use a mild claybar first as I dont want to take the teflon off either.<br>

I havent had this issue come about very frequently as most people with the teflon just want me to wash their car and then I usually end up telling them there is no longer any teflon left , go back to your rip off dealership and have them re apply it LOL<br>

Im so happy he is letting me take care of his new vehicle Thanks for any help or suggestions! <br>

Personally this person has no idea what they are doing. The main problem is that she and most detailers have very little knowledge ,or none on these sealant sold by dealerships. I agree they are sold for very high prices, but that does not make them bad.<br>

First, teflon in these sealants are added in very small amounts and really add a slick surface for a short time. Contrary to what is said, teflon provides no protection. The protection comes from the acrylic polymer used in the product that bonds to the clear coat.<br>

These are designed for long term protection, and require no waxing, All they require is just washing, and re application once a year. By applying wax this person is creating a problem because the sealant will not allow the wax to bond, and it is a total waste of money.Also, repeated waxing will produce dulling and swirl marks which will lead to correction.<br>

This person is a HACKER IMO.There is a reason why most of her customers
with this sealant applied want their cars just washed. Because that is all that is needed.<br>

I usually end up telling them there is no longer any teflon left , go back to your rip off dealership reapply it LOL <br> This statement shows her complete lack of knowledge about these products. It seems she is more worried about applying wax no matter what problems it leads to
latter on.<br>
Re: Waxing over a acrylic/teflon sealant. Why?
May 02, 2011 01:19AM
Bill-
You tell them there is no Teflon left when you really don't know if that is true ? Are you bragging that you lie to your customers ?

You agreed to wax a vehicle every three months for money even though you are against wax and believe ( erroneously ) that it causes damage ?

Contrary to your opinion, you can wax over a sealant and the wax will stick to the surface ( I've done it and AM endorses it ).

So everyone out there is a "rip-off dealership " or a " hack detailer " or a person with " no idea what they are doing " ?

If I buy some AT-5, will you go away LOL ?
May 02, 2011 12:09PM
Doug
Are you on drugs? That post makes zero sense, and not worth a reply.
May 03, 2011 06:35PM
Doug, Bill was quoting a post from another thread made by someone else. He is not the one telling people they have no teflon left. He was saying that that detailer sounds like a hacker. (the other person is also the one that agreed to wax every 3 months) .....I'm just clarifying, not taking sides in the debate smiling smiley
May 05, 2011 12:34AM
Peachypan :
Yes, I misread the opening line but it was an easy mistake. Thanks for the correction.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login