Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

glass coatings

Posted by Larry A 
glass coatings
March 25, 2011 02:36PM
What is everybody thinking on these new glass coatings ie opt-coat and others that are supposed to last a very long time. I think that there based on Sodium Silicate which is also called Waterglass.Any opinions?
Re: glass coatings
March 25, 2011 03:26PM
The only truly long lasting one's I am familar with is AquaPel and ValuVision.
Both are products made by PPG and do not contain any silicate I know of.
March 25, 2011 07:13PM
Would agree with Ketch that the only long-lasting glass treatment is made by PPG and is called AquaPel.

We actually were marketing the product over 8 years ago but could not find a market as the cost was too high for the detail industry.

It is my understanding that PPG gave the marketing of the Aquapel product to ZEP Chemical. But find you can purchase it on Amazon.com less expensively than from ZEP.

Personally I would simply give my detail customers a free application of Rainx if I were in the business again.

Regards
Bud Abraham
March 26, 2011 03:34PM
Im sorry , I didnt explain my self. Im not talking about coating for glass. I talking about glass like coating for paint, like Opti-coat and Opti-guard. There are a few others that I cant think of the names , but one has the word Quartz in the name. You guys are right about Aquapel it is the best for glass.
March 26, 2011 03:50PM
Guess the closest I am aware of is Cerami-Clear, a clearcoat first used by Mercedes on some models.
Really have a problem getting my arms around any sort of aftermarket applied coating that could be easily applied and yet actually effective.
Not saying it is not possible, just that with my limited chemistry knowledge, find it a bit of a stretch.
March 27, 2011 09:49AM
opti coat - not bad
Gtechniq C1 - very good. still water spots sometimes
Glare & Restructure Marine - very good. not same technology as C1 though. more traditional wipe on technology. superb finish though. better than correction alone

There are heaps of Jap coatings. Ark Barrier, G Zox etc
March 30, 2011 03:43AM
Optimum Opti-Coat has been on my car (1/2 of it actually) for almost 16 months and is still like the day I applied it. I wash weekly with Dawn and monthly through Touchless automatics. The car is parked outside and has been exposed to harsh S. Florida weather. Can't say anything bad about it other than it's most likely pretty difficult to remove if I was going to do that.

Here's my test:
[www.autopia.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login