Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How To Get My Feet Wet?/How did you get started?

Posted by peachypan 
How To Get My Feet Wet?/How did you get started?
April 26, 2011 01:22AM
I have been interested in learning how to detail for a while and lurkng in this very informative forum. I would to like to hear what you all think is the best way for someone new to detailing to learn the ropes and gain experience. Too bad there isn't an apprentice/internship program for new detailers smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 03:03PM by peachypan.
Re: How To Get My Feet Wet?
April 26, 2011 02:08AM
No matter how much one may wish to devote to the detailing industry, there are several issues that must be accepted as they go forward.

The first I would address is that much or most of the information you will obtain if from very independant operators who have "made some sort of success in their market place", dealing with a limited customer base,etc.

Just because you receive "input" from these "detailers', regarding processes, procedures, products utilized, does not always mean that this is correct or useful information.

First, I would recomend that you understand some basics that are published by vehicle manufacturers in the owner's manuals, dealership shop manuals, and such.

"Detailers" who easily and with volume who disagreed with this, well, they are not always those who you may wish to take advice from.

Vehicles today are not your grand parents when you have to deal with the paint surfaces, interior fabrics, trim, etc.

This is just some things for you to "think" about.

In other words, don't trust just any one who says things that you may find acceptable, but consider the source of the advice.
April 26, 2011 11:49PM
Thank you for your reply, Grumpy. Maybe I should go about this differently. How did you all get started with detailing? What made you pursue this career path? What is the, down side to detailing? What are your detailing pet peeves?

Sorry for the barrage of questions and thank you all in advance.
April 27, 2011 02:51AM
I grew up working in my father's farm machinery and truck dealership in a small midwestern town.

One of the buildings on the property was rented to a bodyshop.

From the age of 6, I was over there, learned metal work, painting etc, including detailing of finished vehicles.

That grew into while in high school, was building custom cars, painting vehicles, doing that which was needed and made a few good bucks.

My personal vehicles of the time are still remembered by those of my age.

Also did a considerable amount paint and bodywork for some famous stock car racers of the time, even moving on to doing some paint work for one of the most widely know AA fuel drag racers of the time.

Aprox 30 years ago, (yeah I am OLD), I decided that the corprate world of sales and marketing in the mass consumer sort of companies was no longer my goal in life and joined a California automotive/mold release manufacturer as Sales Manager.

After a decade of being there, I found the owner was not one who I wished to continue to work for, left the firm and became Director of Sales and Technical Services for Automotive International.

While at the other company I had worked with and developed working relationships with all of the major paint suppliers to the auto industry, the vehicle manufacturer's paint, body and trim engineers, etc.

Over these past years I traveled the world, working with vehicle manufacturers, distributors, working to resolve many paint and enviormental issues they experienced.

In 2008 I chose to retire from active work on a regular basis and now only do consulting to former customers and contacts.

Just don't find it fun to fly around the world and the country anymore and the people who depend on my ability understand this, so do much via phone and internet.

That's pretty much my background, etc.

This journey was done by my understanding that no one person has all the answers, one must devote time to increasing their knowledge through continuing time spent aquiring valid education of the subject matter.

Then, using those things to be diagnostic in approaching an issue or concern, thinking through a procedure and applying a proven, valid process to obtain satisfactory results.

In reality, it is no different a path to success than a doctor, lawyer, etc.
April 29, 2011 03:47PM
From someone that has actually done detailing work for a living I wish I could
offer a magical solution. Although, this business has made the detailer no better
than a person working at Mc Donald's.Many people such as yourself see this business as a quick way to earn big money with little investment of time and education.Unfortunately, these people bring a bad name to the business by their shoddy work.

I wish I could say going to a dealership would offer experience, but they are more concerned with cost than doing a good job. You may get lucky and find a detail shop that will teach you something.

My suggestion would be to learn how to wash cars by hand first. Offer to wash peoples vehicles, and vac the inside. You could also learn how to use a claybar.

Do not fall into the trap that a high speed wheel is needed, and jump down to
Wal Mart to get the cheapest wax on sale. You can make good money and avoid alot
of headaches just washing and vac the interior.
Re: How To Get My Feet Wet?/How did you get started?
April 29, 2011 08:03PM
Peachypan :
I recommend that you follow Grumpy's sage advice to consider the source of the information you get and, with that in mind, pay particular attention to my archived posts on this forum.

Also, consider checking your public library for DVDs and books on detailing. If the library doesn't stock such materials, it can still order them for you.
You can buy (or obtain free) DVDs as I explained in an archived post. Use the search feature to find specific posts.

Meguiar's and AutoMagic give seminars.

Bud and Marnie are sure to invite you to join the detailer's association they run and I'm just trying to beat them to the punch by mentioning it first LOL.

Good luck,
Doug
April 30, 2011 04:12PM
Doug, are you involved in the Association? I mean not just as a member.
April 30, 2011 05:10PM
Doug is more involved with the dollar store association than the IDA association. 8-}
April 30, 2011 09:07PM
A car dealership is actually a great place to start. I started washing cars back in the 80's. There is alot to learn from these folks. Usually on their dime as well.
May 01, 2011 02:09PM
Profile Detailer :
Sorry if I gave the impression that I am involved with the association. I am not even a member. I meant that as a little dig at Bud and Marnie for their frequent posts urging anyone who asks a question to join up.

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login