Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have a question

Posted by billd55 
I have a question
May 01, 2011 12:01AM
I would like to know what purpose fillers and glazes are used for in correction?
Are polishes considered fillers and glazes?

Polish product descriptions mention this:

Enhance the gloss and depth of any color paint, while hiding minor imperfections

Read this to about polishes:

A few important points should be noted about the use of polishes. Firstly, some polishes currently on the market contain a small quantity of fillers, which help to mask any remaining defects prior to the application of sealant or wax protection. Although this might initially strike you as a good thing, the downside is that once such fillers are eroded some of the remaining defects will reappear. For every polish with fillers there is one without, so always do your homework and pick which type suits you best.

Read this about glazes:

In our opinion, it is far better to apply a glaze on a regular basis and hide any defects rather than polish your paint with abrasive products on a regular basis.

Secondly, once a glaze is applied you should apply sealant or wax protection immediately, in order to seal in the fillers. If you fail to do this, the fillers and gloss enhancing oils will be washed off the next time it rains or when you next wash your car, negating the benefits of applying it in the first place.

Basically, it seems polishes and glazes cover and hide damage, and when taken off
you see the real paint finish. It is really like women's makeup in a sense. It
is just cosmetic, and not permanent.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 12:32AM by billd55.
Re: I have a question
May 01, 2011 01:22AM
Here is a reply from my UTube video I got from a detailer:
Scottwax

Re: A response to your post.
No, I am not wrong. That car is COVERED in spider swirls. Those are not the same as buffer swirls, they are caused by poor washing techniques or improper wash media.

If you know how to properly use a buffer, you will remove those types of swirls and not leave any buffer swirls. Then if you wash the car properly and keep it sealed (wax or sealants), that will greatly minimize future spider swirls. I have a customer with a 2006 Corvette Z06 and I am the only one who washes it. I have polished it twice in the last 5 years and he has me wax it 8-10 times a year. You can pull it out in the sun and you will find zero fine scratches or spider swirls. You are completely and totally wrong when you attribute swirls reappearing to wax. Using cheap towels, dirty water, brushes on paint, rotary polishers with a wool pad and lousy technique and no follow up with a polish and a foam pad, those are the types of things that cause swirls and fine scratches.

If you want to see what real paint correction looks like, see this:

Now let's see,8-10 coats of wax a year, he is the only one who washes it with baby
shampoo, and it is more than likely in a garage.

He is right that :Using cheap towels, dirty water, brushes on paint, rotary polishers with a wool pad and lousy technique and no follow up with a polish and a foam pad, those are the types of things that cause swirls and fine scratches.

I agree that the scratches he sees on trunk were caused by these things, but not by my method.

You are completely and totally wrong when you attribute swirls reappearing to wax.

Am I. As I have said many times wax does not cause swirl marks in itself, but when it breaks down swirls and fine scratches appear. This leads to correction
that requires polishes, glazes,compound,and more wax. The cycle continues to the point were when you remove all the layers of different products you see the real paint condition.

Here is his website

[www.scottwax.com]

Another response from him:

Scottwax

Re: A response to your post.
I don't use fillers or glazes, only hack detailers do. I actually polish out the swirls properly. That's what good detailers do.

Guarantee you could strip that Z06 with an alcohol wipe down and you wouldn't find a single swirl still.

How about wash it with Dawn soap?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 02:13AM by billd55.
May 01, 2011 10:07AM
The only thing I disagree about with Scottwax is that all he does is correct paint
There is a time and a place for a long term filler product made from natural silicate or whatever we may see in the future that allows for a magnificent finish by adding more material to the painted surface and protect with that surface and its hydrophobic properties as well

You can't correct the paint every single time. its too time consuming and an expensive service thats too pricey for some people and also your removing paint that could be saved by the use of these long term fillers.

and also, correction polishes only take paint so far. after you've finished with them, glazes aka pure polishes should be used (those with no filler or alot of filler) to dazzle up the paint even further, adding important depth, clarity and colour shade intensity
May 01, 2011 10:10AM
hack detailers use traditional oil based glazes to hide their holograms etc
thats a totally different kettle of fish compared to a mid to long term glass based glaze and protective coating

AT5 is similar, just a polyethylene or similar acrylic coating instead of being
May 01, 2011 12:58PM
Svr

I agree completely with your statement,and if your coatings work the way you say there are plenty of cars that need them.

Although, what I have been trying to get across here is that wax and poly sealants
clearly offer no protection again'st swirls and fine scratches. I am glad you mentioned this:

You can't correct the paint every single time. its too time consuming and an expensive service thats too pricey for some people and also your removing paint that could be saved by the use of these long term fillers.

and also, correction polishes only take paint so far.

I have tried to show people here an inexpensive alternative to this problem.
AT-5 if used before damage occurs will prevent the need for polishes and glazes
down the road. I have applied this product to many new cars and over the years and have never seen what I have shown in the posted examples.

If anyone dares to suggest anything new or different it is met with pure hate
and insults. Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 02:13PM by billd55.
May 01, 2011 02:40PM
Guys-
The traditional approach for a professional is to correct defects rather than hide them whenever feasible. If the defects are only hidden , the defects will reappear if the wax/sealant/polish/glaze is stripped away by commercial car washing, road salt, paint prep products etc.
The disadvantage of paint correction is that paint must be removed to level the paint because the only way to "remove scratches " is to bring the rest of the paint down to the level of the scratches.

One can make the scratches less noticeable by polishing without removing enough paint to completely remove the scratches.

The advantage of hiding defects is that no paint is removed. Modern paint is often thin to begin with, so no car should undergo major paint correction more than twice. " Pass me that paint depth guage. "

Zaino leans toward hiding minor defects instead of correcting them. Their Z-5 contains fillers. Multiple coats of Zaino will hide minor scratches but it has its limits. Zaino now makes a mild correction product called " Fuzion ".

It is up to you to decide what is called for in each case :

For example, if a show car has only a few cobwebs, you might decide to hide them rather than disturb the fine paint job.
For another example, if a car dealer's wash man scratched up a brand new car and the owner wants the scratches removed, you might decide to compound or polish out the scratches.
Doug
May 01, 2011 11:01PM
Doug
Quote:
If the defects are only hidden , the defects will reappear if the wax/sealant/polish/glaze is stripped away by commercial car washing, road salt, paint prep products etc.

The stripping away causes swirlmarks and fine scratches, not the wax itself.
This is all I have ever said from the start.
May 02, 2011 12:58AM
Bill-
That is not what you have been saying. You've said a million times that wax causes scratches. Obviously, the stripping away doesn't cause scratches either ; it simply reveals them.
I'm beginning to think not only "spam" but "troll" LOL.
May 02, 2011 11:43AM
Doug

NO IT IS NOT. That is what you want to hear.

Obviously, the stripping away doesn't cause scratches either ; it simply reveals them.

What's is the difference. It is the same thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login