Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say you are wrong...

Posted by billd55 
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say you are wrong...
May 05, 2011 01:10PM
Am I? Well here is a post from a correction detailer that you may find interesting.

Default Durability....why?
So I'm always seeing threads popping up talking about how long this new sealant lasts, and it beads water for like 9 months....blah blah blah

I guess I really just want to know why people are so into durable sealants. I mean what do they really offer other than long term water beading? It's not like they are to the point of stopping bird poo and hard water spots from etching the clear yet. Heck, they don't even seem to keep contaminates from bonding to the surface. So why is everyone always out to find the longest lasting sealant out there?

IMO a lot of them can actually hinder the correction process, and are a PITA to remove sometimes. So does it really make sense to use them? I've always believed that regular maintenance will keep a car looking better than using a super durable sealant every 6 months or so. By regular maintenance I'm talking about using a very mild cleaner every 3 months or so and then just a regular nuba in between.

Guess I'm just tired and bored at work today, but this has been on my mind and wanted to see what other though about it.

FWIW, I do like the ease of use a lot of them offer, as well as the super slick feel they leave. I just don’t think that durability is an important factor.

Wet-Ice rocks!

QUOTE:

IMO a lot of them can actually hinder the correction process, and are a PITA to remove sometimes.

Hey Doug, you state this:

So now you say waxes and sealants don't provide protection !

Do want more proof from a 35 year expert (TOWGT) on the matter:

TOGWT

Protection- a polymer sealant forma a molecular bond with any paint surface it’s applied too, so when it’s attacked by environmental elements (acid rain, bird excrement, etc) it provides a direct conduit to the clear coat paint surface, causing surface etching.

Carnauba wax molecules form a closed linked mesh like structure, which means that they only butt up together to protect the surface and the wax adheres to the paint surface. When attacked by environmental elements they have to compromise the wax surface before they can reach the clear coat paint surface and cause surface etching. Some natural waxes (Carnauba) are more resistant to environmental hazards then synthetics, although an Acrylic polymer offers limited resistance.

But the best way to avoid clear coat etching is too remove the environmental acid as soon as it’s noticed; but given enough time acid will compromise the clear coat whatever its protection.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement, even the latest nanotechnology coating, CeramiClear only offers resistance to scratches, mars and acid etch, a product like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable non-organic wax product, and but this may only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface.

Quote:

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement, even the latest nanotechnology coating,

HOPEFULLY, this will finally sink in on protection.

[After washing my girl’s car it still beaded water nicely and looked good, but it felt like sand paper from all the bonded contaminants! So what was the paint protected from?
]

Durability: [: able to exist for a long time without significant deterioration]Nearly all wax and sealant products exhibit water beading or sheeting initially (in fact so does a clean paint surface without an applied protection) this is due solely to surface tension, once the protection breaks down (abrasion from water, road dirt/grime and other airborne pollutants) it will cause a reduction in the surface tension and the beading will revert to its former level

If your goal is maximum protection, don't use water beading/sheeting as an indicator; while it’s true that it is a visual indicator that a wax / sealant previously applied is still present it does not guarantee that it’s actually providing protection. Beading on a paint surface is aesthetically pleasant, and many people equate beading with protection; there is a long standing myth “that as long as a paint surface maintains beading it’s being protected from the elements” (much like the myth that “the more soap produces suds the better the cleaning effect”)

I realize that many of you think I do not have a clue what I am saying,and I am here to push AT-5.Trust me that is not the case. You are welcome to contact GEM
and ask them if I am getting one dime from them for this.

I am just sick of the same stupid advice that is passed out by people on these
forums. Clearly, these forums are to push products
and methods that are far overpriced and provide nothing but shine and beading water as the only benefits.

I find this comment interesting from a detailer responding to this post:

I'm with you Rasky!!!!

I couldn't care less about durability. At least on my personal cars. I actually LIKE polishing, waxing, applying sealant, etc., etc. So If a sealant only lasts a month.... SO WHAT! By that time I'm doing it again anyway!

For my customers with high-end cars, they will rarely ask "How long will it last?".

But for your everyday mom and pop who have their cars detailed every 2 years, that's their VERY FIRST QUESTION!

Quote:

But for your everyday mom and pop who have their cars detailed every 2 years, that's their VERY FIRST QUESTION!

Why do you think everyday mom and pop get their cars detailed every two years,
ask that question first?BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT TO THEM,AND THEY DO NOT HAVE THE
MONEY OR TIME FOR MONTHLY WAXING.

Gina stated this:
Several detailer's across the country are expressing the fact they are having difficulty with the business and are considering closing

See I get it, and that is why I use AT-5. It protects the clear from damage, and does not trap crap in it. You do not have to worry if you are washing it the right
way. Mainly, you do not have to strip it off to apply another coat.

Granted it does not cover defects like correction does, but it offers an awesome shine, lasts a year, and is affordable.

The terms durability and protection are completely different, and if detailers
are confused to what they mean. Then it is not hard to understand why the public
feels it not worth spending their hard earned money on what detailers provide.

From what I see many detailers are making a living fixing each others screw ups.
Not me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 01:16PM by billd55.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login