Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What they did in about an hour’s time will take me about 28 hours to correct.

Posted by billd55 
What they did in about an hour’s time will take me about 28 hours to correct.
May 25, 2011 12:39PM
Cause of problem according to detailer

What causes this? Simple…a completely unqualified technician using improper tools, products, and techniques in their attempt to buff out the paint

[www.toddcooperider.com]

Clearly this car needs help,but we are not talking about a cheap car here.
WHY IS IT ALL ABOUT CORRECTING THE DEFECTS, AND NEVER ABOUT PREVENTING THEM?
This correction thing is totally ass backwards IMO.

Why should a car this new need buffing in the first place? It is not clear, but
are they using sandpaper to do this much damage in one hour? Clearly, there is more to this then buffing here.
You have something against making money?
Re: What they did in about an hour’s time will take me about 28 hours to correct.
May 25, 2011 10:13PM
Gina

I have no problem with making money, but I like to feel I am offering something
of value to my customers beyond a car that has a shine and beads water.

Charging someone $5,000 and spending 50 hours on it may impress you, but not me.
If this damage was caused by some act of God than I could understand it, but that
is not the case.Clearly, these cars are not acceptable, and some polishing
is needed to fix them, but applying the same product(wax) that caused the problem in the first place is where I see a problem.

Why is this? Well, here is what a correction detailer explained to me about marketing:

Part of marketing is getting your idea across as clearly and concisely as possible while retaining the appeal of what your selling. Saying things like "A sealant is applied that may or may not prevent UV rays and may prevent very light water etching or spotting" does not sound appealing.

He continues on:

The fact is if a product has the ability, however strong or weak, to prevent something from happening, I have the right to say just that. I don't need to account for every situation that would negate that fact, like acid rain or very strong UV rays. People have plenty of common sense.

Here is what is on his website:

Since the wax or sealant is applied in multiple layers and by machine polisher, durability is expected to last a minimum of 4months, that ensures the finish is protected from UV rays, hard water spots and etching.

I am sorry,but this statement is implying something that is not true. Stating
wax offers UV protection for 4 months is wrong plain and simple. Using a word like "ensures" implies something.

If car owners understood that wax and sealants only provide a shine and beading,
and understood that correction was a consequence (swirls and fine scratches) from using it then I have no problem.

Although, this not the case.Most detailer's say that you need to wax your car.
According to paint chemists ( Consumer reports) all you need to do is wash a car on regular basis and there will be no need to wax it. Modern paints to do not need to be waxed to look good over a long period of time as long as they are washed on a regular basis.

Gina, I am posting these examples to wake people up. Not for you and others detailers here, but people searching for answers on how to maintain their vehicles. I know what protection is, and using wax and sealants will not provide
it no matter how you spin it.

Using wax and sealants starts a cycle which leads to correction. It wears the clear down, and it is not cheap.
Anyone doing the spinning is you... and the only sound I hear is a broken record... [www.youtube.com]
Re: What they did in about an hour’s time will take me about 28 hours to correct.
May 26, 2011 12:39PM
Gina
No wonder your detailing association went bust. You are part of the problem,
and certainly not the solution. The only broken record is the same old crap
that you and many others give out about wax that is just wrong.

Talk about spin, well that is all I hear from people like you. I am really
sick of hearing the same old crap about wax, and swirl marks. On every forum
it is the same thing over and over: WAX OFFERS PROTECTION.

Do me a favor and mind your own business. Your insults are falling on a deaf ear
when it comes to me. You have all the right to post what you want here.No one is
forcing you to read my posts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login