Swirls.....I give up

Posted by billd55 
Swirls.....I give up
May 25, 2011 11:13PM
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Swirls... I give up
I have spent quite a bit on car care products. Microfiber towels and mitt, pH-balanced shampoos, foam gun. I don't use anything from a car parts store--I bought a black detailer from Pepboys but I have not used it. I have taken precautions: I foam gun the car to loosen dirt particles, then wash using the 2-bucket method, gentle passes with a microfiber wash mitt, hardly any pressure. I use one of those DIY water filter setups to reduce sediments and even chlorine from the wash. I pat dry with a waffle-weave drying towel. I pull the car into garage, which has been previously swept. I clay the finish (this was the first time) then, I apply Zaino AIO.

All that, yet, guess what I saw this morning when the sun is just the right angle?

SWIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My girlfriend gets jealous because I don't give her car the same royal treatment; the neighbor has accused me of "making love" to my Mini when I wash it, and for what?

I give up. I'm convinced that so long as there is contact between the finish and another solid object, such as a wash mitt, clay bar, etc. swirls will be induced to an extent.

[www.northamericanmotoring.com]

MAYBE HE SHOULD STOP USING ZAINO AND SEE IF THAT WORKS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 11:15PM by billd55.
Re: Swirls.....I give up
May 28, 2011 09:06AM
everything is abrasive to some level.
my motto is - for the first five years of the cars life, keep it mint
after that, keep doing lots of TLC on it but fill defects with GLARE/Restructure Marine/Toughseal/AT-5 type products and thicken that paint depth and gloss right up and live with a few defects, instead of polishing the depth and metal flake out of the paint finish which I did with my second car
May 28, 2011 05:05PM
SVR

I agree completely with your statement. Sure things like rock chips happen, and
little can be done to prevent them. Although, what you say here :instead of polishing the depth and metal flake out of the paint finish which I did with my second car. You are smart enough to admit a mistake and learn from it.

I think you will find many people down under who really want to protect their paint
finish from the elements . People are keeping their cars longer, and pros like yourself will see this trend and capitalize on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 05:06PM by billd55.
May 30, 2011 11:37AM
exactly mate. We should not be set in our ways and perform detailing/refinishing in the same manner year in year out

embrace change, create the future and believe that there is a better way

I dont believe that long term filler type products are at their best yet, we need a thick gel like peelable coating that fills everything and protects the paint

it will come. there are peelable coatings but dont think theyre for hiding stuff, more about stopping chips etc

The only way to stop chips is to apply an invisible car bra (vinyl) or rubberised coating but the downside of rubberised coatings on front bars is excessive orange peel
May 31, 2011 01:06AM
I've used Zaino Z-AIO and can say from - drum roll- EXXXXperience !!! that it doesn't cause swirl marks.

I use Zaino AIO but not often because it lasts a long time (LOL).

A way to scientifically test this guesswork is to apply a given product in back and forth ( straight ) motions to one area of the car and then try applying in circular motions, the time-honored " Karate Kid " way of " Wax on. Wax off ", in another area. Then, inspect with a light to see if there are swirl marks left in the latter area but not the former.

Swirls are caused by a number of things, including applying wax to a dirty car, improper washing and drying, buffing with dried rubbing compound...

Zaino causes things like gloss, depth, slickness, protection and show car trophies.

Doug

P.S. I apply the Z-AIO with a PC-7336 and Edge pads.
May 31, 2011 01:17AM
A/C Delco also sells an excellent swirl remover.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login