Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Challenges

Posted by concoursgarage 
Challenges
May 29, 2011 09:42PM
What are some of the most difficult challenges you face as a professional detailer every day...
Re: Challenges
July 01, 2011 09:06PM
I missed this post when you posted it....

I think the most difficult challenge for detailers is ensuring a constant stream of customers at the door. For me, this is very hard in off-peak times. During the better weather seasons, I can be booked out 8 weeks in advance.

Other times, I am waiting for the phone to ring!

But I haven't been marketing to dealers. All my work has been retail. I only take a car in for a full day minimum. I used to do "packages", but it was destroying me. The morning car might turn out to be a pig-sty and delay the work on the afternoon car, etc. So I now charge for a full day and focus on the part of the car that needs it the most.

Eg, if the interior is trashed, I spend 70% of the day on that, get it new and then do a fast DA polish of the exterior and seal it. Or vice versa if the exterior needs a lot of attention.

Dealers haven't been too responsive to this approach because I charge about 3x the cost of their usual hacks. Owners either love it or don't bother with it because of the price.

I think I need to try sell it to dealers a bit more this year though. My most difficult challenge with this is that I hate 95% of dealers. Just can't stand most car-sales people.
July 02, 2011 01:04AM
Our greatest challenges are those gray interiors, Gina, you are a master at those!
July 02, 2011 08:46AM
Gina, do you find any use for those household cleaners that have oxi-action cleaning. Don't know what its called in the US but its called Vanish here.
July 02, 2011 01:35PM
I think you are speaking about oxi-clean and similar type products. I do not use too many over the counter cleaners for interior work..
July 03, 2011 12:28AM
So, what do you use for cleaners Gina?
August 25, 2011 06:23PM
bobm-
You should know better than to expect Gina to reveal her trade secrets.

I, on the other hand, have posted product evaluations that you can unearth via the search function. I like Griot's Interior Cleaner. I use Windex Multi-task Orange on dirty vinyl. I like AM's red carpet shampoo. Tarminator , Mean Green and Knight's Spray Nine work on greasy carpet stains.

My trade secrets aren't secrets.
Doug
August 26, 2011 04:02AM
Much thanks Doug! Im always willing to share my meager knowledge. Im just small potatoes compared to these big shops but I still appreciate secrets of the experts. (although I kinda knew Gina would not give up any concrete info)
August 27, 2011 02:21PM
Bob:

You can pick up the phone and call me anytime..and I will be happy to give you a few pointers
August 28, 2011 02:23AM
Gina, I was just messin with ya, after seeing some of your before and after pictures I have nothing but absolute respect for you as a benchmark in this industry. I would never seriously ask you to divuldge all of your knowledge here without some kind of return. Besides, there is only so far advice can take someone. I did put your last advice to use and have seen excellent results. Have you ever considered offering some of your expertise as training for money?
August 29, 2011 12:21AM
Gina, never asked you this before in our conversations in person or on the net, but do you actually detail or do you just research the best chemicals, tools, procedures and teach your employes the knowledge you obtain?

Regards
Bud Abraham
August 29, 2011 01:07AM
Bud, she does it all, and has for many years.
Her father runs the shop he opened years and years ago and she worked with him for many of them.
Now she runs their other shops in Richmond.
August 30, 2011 03:42AM
Ketch:

Thanks for your kind words..

Bud: I really do not know how to reply to your question...I sometimes get the feeling you have this need to discredit everyone. If that is not your intent then my profound apologies...( I would not like to fall short of the teachings of Buddha)

Anyway in order to teach a person to professionally and efficiently clean they have to mirror what you do....so my employees mirror what I teach them to do and it works extremely well for us.

I spend a lot of my time developing techniques on trying to get the best results possible for my clients. Yes I research, listen and read because I think you can never know enough about cleaning. I do have a a modest background in cleaning: had a building maintenance company which included professional carpet and upholstery cleaning and conservation cleaning. My father is a wealth of information as he manufactured textiles for over 30 years. I am IICRC certified in carpet cleaning, fabric and upholstery cleaning, odor removal, water damage restoration, fire and smoke, mold remediation and have attended numerous cleaning classes including stain removal if you have not heard of the IICRC it is the worlds most recognized body for certification in this field. Did I mention I also repair and redye leather and fabric so I know a little about that also.

I have used and continue to use every method of cleaning textiles, from steam, to shampoo extraction, bonnet cleaning, dry foam, encapsulation, I hope that qualifies me to be able to do or teach something.

Bud I am always willing and open to learn more things from you and eagerly await any suggestions you have to learn more about the subject .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 11:55AM by concoursgarage.
August 31, 2011 04:36AM
Sorry if I'm off topic, but can someone tell me how or where I can get some of this AT-5 acrylic sealant I keep hearing about? I use different sealants and some waxes and wanted to try some myself. Any help is appreciated, Thank you very much.
August 31, 2011 04:46AM
I dont remember the number, but its sold thru Gem industries if I remember correctly.
September 01, 2011 01:47AM
Gina, you mentioned that you too do leather/vinyl/velour repair, have you ever found a use for those darn silly velour pencils? I have yet to see their value.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login