Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help with holograms

Posted by billd55 
Help with holograms
May 31, 2011 12:34PM
Registered Member

I posted this on another forum, but need more advice.
This weekend I did a 2007 Dodge Magnum RX Hemi, black metallic with swirls and holograms.
Washed & clayed. I used a Flex 3401 & Griot's 6". I used Meguiar's MF cutting & polishing discs with speed 2 1/2, D300 & 301. On the Flex I used the MF polishing pad with D300, I got most of the swirls out but still had holograms and a bit of haze. I followed that up with the MF polishing pad, Flex and D301 then NXT 2.0. When the sun came out, the holograms were still there though not as bad.
This was the first time I've tried to remove holograms and I was a total failure. I think I'm missing a step or something.
I did an alcohol wipe down between the D300 & 301, should I have done another one before the wax?
I'm also thinking I should have switched over to a w8207 pad on the flex and M205.
Some professional advice is appreciated.

Svr made this comment in another post:

Quote:
but why cant we just talk about other detailing stuff

like techniques, new products, tools etc
Stuff like surbuf and meguiars MF discs, new ways of treating exterior window/door trims instead of using dressings, tires, wheels etc

Okay lets talk about Mequiar's MF discs. This guy used the MF disc pads you mention, and failed to remove the holograms. He is asking for professional
advice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 03:04PM by billd55.
Re: Help with holograms
June 05, 2011 10:02AM
he failed to remove holograms because he didnt run the machine fast enough, probably didnt use any pressure and ran the machine at 2 1/2.
way too slow and he may of used too faster arm speed as well.

With Megs MF discs and Surbuf with DA's and Random Orbitals, slow arm speed and high speed with pressure is key to success.

this is how I do it with surbuf
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
June 05, 2011 05:30PM
Svr

I can see a difference for sure, but how much of the clear are you removing with your process in your opinion.

How do you deal with the fenders on this car. They are not flat, so how do you apply even pressure? Also how do you deal with tight areas like between the hood and the windshield.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 05:31PM by billd55.
June 07, 2011 07:12AM
The Surbuf pads are not abrasive so I've been told so it all relies on the polish one uses. Since Xpert 1000 is not a compound but a single polish system, it can cut and finish and all without slicing loads of paint off

Imagine using wool pad, rotary and Menzerna Power Finish or 3M Extra duty rubbing compound. Now that would slice much more paint off

Since I dont correct paint on each car more than twice, its not a problem
The Average aussie made car has 110 microns total on it. some jap paints are 70 to 90. the combo listed above (wool pad etc) may take 10 or more microns off.

any car that has paint that is soft, I only correct once because it may also be thin and is going to get marked up so quick regardless of any washing and drying technique that its just not worth it or smart to keep correcting it
June 07, 2011 01:15PM
Sure fire way to remove swirls and holograms is to not put them in the paint in the first place, and there is a solution to that.

There is also a sure fire way to easily remove them too.

That answer....BUFFPRO drum style buffer.

Without a doubt the best tool every invented and introduced to the polishing industry.

When I saw this tool I immediately got involved in the marketing of the tool as I knew it was a winner.

The anti-change people and the nay-sayers come up with all types of reasons it does not work, but I have used the tool myself and demonstrated it at a trade show for 3 full days, putting 1500 grit sanding scratches in the paint and in less than a minute they were completely gone, time and time again.

That is the answer.

Bud ABraham
June 09, 2011 07:41AM
yep your spot on bud. I'm getting the Buff Pro before I ever buy another rotary.
It can leave linear marring but compared to other machines, is much easier to fix and faster.

Dont think the buff pro can fix peel like a rotary can but thats a high end service not everyone wants and some paints too thin to do it too
besides that, the Buff Pro drum polisher is the way to go

Of course not doing correction again and again is another answer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login