Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

paint touch up

Posted by bobm 
paint touch up
June 02, 2011 03:29AM
Has anyone tried detail kings twin color paint touch up syatem? Im looking to upgrade my existing system. We get alot of cars/trucks with pretty severe road rash here in Montana where gravel roads outnumber paved ones.
Re: paint touch up
June 02, 2011 02:52PM
You can purchase sample colors.. (I think black and red) and try them out before purchasing the system.. You can also purchase a system from appliedcolors.com, the name of the person there is Rob...a great guy..and he will give you a lot of support. I have not tried the system.
July 22, 2011 01:44AM
I guess I have different expectations about what a chip repair is supposed to look like. After trying the color twin system I'm gonna pass
July 23, 2011 03:18PM
How did you apply it. Did you use a piece of card wrapped in cloth to flatten it out?
July 23, 2011 03:33PM
What was your expectation?
July 23, 2011 06:07PM
As per the directions. I applied the paint in two different methods, the rub it on with a rag and the dab and smear method. The product does stay in the chip but does not come anywhere close to filling it. I used a card wrapped in an approved rag to remove the excess. When I called the company I was told " your just covering the primer or metal, not performing a body shop quality tepair." Fair enough, im going back to my old method of fill, set, razor blade, remove and polish. My expectations are to fill the chip. I realize they are not invisible but I try to get them as flush as possible.
July 23, 2011 06:47PM
Try a gravity feed pencil to apply the paint into chip
July 23, 2011 06:51PM
Bobm...if you are able to fill,set, razor blade and it fills the chip then you have a good system going... most touch up systems are designed to cover primer or metal to improve the overall appearance and stop rusting.
July 23, 2011 08:54PM
I do like the ease of use that the ball point pen tip provides, however they never seem to work as well the second time around without plugging up. The method I currently use does work well, its just time consuming for hundreds of chips or 'road rash' I was hoping once agai for the 'magic bullet' but just covering the primer while not totally filling the chip just isnt good enough. If we just 'kinda' got the interior clean people would not accept it, therefore there are chemicles and machines to completely clean. Why is there not the same standard applied to chip repair? It seems we will pay hundreds for polish and wax and buffers but no one as of yet offers a chip kit to these standards. Am I just crazy? Do people really think its fixed if they can still easily see it from 3 feet away? Incidently, thats what the color twin call normal veiwing distance. Im not anal but there is just no way I could charge someone $150.00 for this level of repair.
July 24, 2011 09:08PM
Bobm: Do you use any additives in your paint touch up?
July 25, 2011 12:43AM
No I dont use any additives, I prep with acetone, fill it and clean up with naptha and finish with one step cleaner wax. I have given up on the off the peg touch up bottles. All of my product is mixed by a local auto paint store, its more expensive this way but the end result is more satisfying.
July 26, 2011 12:31AM
Are you using the razor blade like a squeegee, or are you using the blade to remove the excess from the top of the paint surface once the paint has dried?
July 26, 2011 01:13AM
I use it to cut the paint. Carefully as its easy to scratch the surface with the edges. How do you do them?
July 26, 2011 01:37AM
I have seen the razor being used to remove paint overspray and have tried NOT very sucessfully for big things but small stuff.. but you have to be careful not scratch.

[www.youtube.com]

we either squeegee on, and remove with excess with a paint remover or we use a needle to touch up fill up (deep scratch) then wet sand flush with surrounding paint...but in general we just touch up with needle or small tip paint brush... I do not have too many complaints as I usually tell them exactly what they are getting.

Like you I would like to do better or at least improve what I am doing
July 26, 2011 01:53AM
Do you dull the razor blade a bit first? That makes a big difference
July 26, 2011 01:55AM
You know I have never dulled the razor...I have always thought it needed to be new and sharp.. I use a lubricant wax or sealant to move the blade at an angle across the paint.. I am wondering if one could round the edges so it would not scrape the paint?
July 26, 2011 02:21AM
Heres how I do it. start with a new razor blade, find some concrete in the shop with a smooth finish, pressure wash that area of the floor, holding the blade perpendicular to the floor, gripped loosely, scrape it back and forth a few times, lastly find a clean spot of glass on the car, scrape the blade on the glass as you normally would to remove a sticker, both sides of the blade. you will be surprised how much easier it is to use
July 26, 2011 04:26PM
scum bag! do you really believe anyone is going to buy anything from you?
July 28, 2011 09:43PM
LOL.. thats a bit harsh! Poor Bob!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 09:45PM by Profile Detailer.
July 29, 2011 02:24AM
Wtf? :-)
July 30, 2011 09:00PM
Ok, to clarify a bit. The method I described above is very time consuming. A typical car will take over 5 hours this way. The Detail King road rash kit is better if you can sell a lower quality repair. However, for actual rash, not chips, the kit is excellent. I will purchase this kit, its just important not to expect too much from it.
July 30, 2011 10:56PM
There are also 2 other companies premier paints and SSR. Of the two I have been told premier is the best.
July 31, 2011 12:25AM
I will have to look into the premier line
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login