Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

oh the smell!

Posted by bobm 
oh the smell!
June 15, 2011 12:53AM
Ok, short of carpet replacement, what have you had the best sucess with when it comes to shampooing carpet that has been soaked with cat urine? I have already tried shampoo, then white vinegar and finally baking soda. So far I now have a carpet that smells of cat urine and vinegar. It is a room in a house and Im outta ideas.
Re: oh the smell!
June 15, 2011 02:05AM
You need a enzyne cleaner thats for urine.
June 15, 2011 04:36AM
There are stain removers you can purchase the neutralize the urine which what Larry may be referring to in his post.

Bud ABraham
June 15, 2011 02:15PM
Im gonna try them out once more before I recomend carpet and pad replacement.
June 15, 2011 03:24PM
SCOE 10X It's all you'll ever need!
follow the directions to the letter and you'll be amazed
June 15, 2011 03:33PM
Have used my former company's Odor Terminator with good results.
I still have Tim send me some every few months to take of friends who have such problems.
It is a proven and safe product.
Grumpy
June 15, 2011 07:06PM
Doesn't cat pee go alkaline when dry and acid when water is added? Can't remember.

Anyway, I was going to say check the walls as well. Cats often spray urine when they go. Don't envy you on this one but my 2C is that the underlay should be replaced. The carpet itself is easy enough to treat but underlay absorbs a lot.
June 16, 2011 02:38PM
Bob:

Chemicals are only part of the of the process..removing the odor will depend on certain factors frequency of urination, (is the animal marking its spot) is it concrete floor, wood floor substrate. The urine could have seeped thru carpet,padding into the flooring and is still off-gassing. You need to lift up the carpet cut away the contaminated padding. Treat the carpet front and back..extract and rinse several times..Treat the flooring and you might have to seal the floor as moisture in the air will reactivate the odor. Or you might inject the product (recommend Molecular Modifier and Bio-Charge both use bio-enzymes to digest the source of odor from urine) Also check the surrounding walls with a black light to make sure the urine has not sprayed there also.
June 16, 2011 05:52PM
Turns to ammonia when dried.
When water is reintroduced is when the smell becomes very strong.
Since the O.T. uses water to carry it's active to the source, the urine smell will seem stronger at first, however if the area is properly wetted with the O/T. the odor is ate up and gone in an hour or so.
However, on carpet, it is necessary to introduce the product to the backing, both sides as well as the carpet on both sides.
June 16, 2011 07:06PM
Sounds like no matter what there is no completely effective way of treating this problem. So if Im gonna lift the carpet anyway, it may as well just get replaced after the wooden floor underneath is treated. This is one project I shoulda walked away from! :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login