Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tar Remover V Petrol

Posted by Profile Detailer 
Tar Remover V Petrol
June 15, 2011 08:42PM
So guys, I'm tired of people telling me about their home-spun tar removal remedies. Some people are telling me that they use WD-40 (naphtha) and others say they use petrol.

But you know, I have seen their cars and there seems to be no visible damage to paint, in spite of them using petrol/WD-40, etc.

So what is going on? Is it that products like these do the same job, just not as efficiently? I know they are all basically derivatives of crude-oil, as are tar-removers (whether white-spirit or naphtha based). But so is tar and so is car paint after all.

Is there really a problem with using non-manufactured tar-removers?

Thanks
PD
Re: Tar Remover V Petrol
June 16, 2011 12:12AM
I use naptha. I used to use adhesive remover, it was Bud I think that enlightened me in this. The naptha works just as well and is a ton cheaper. Years ago we had a railroad pickup come in that was very very heavily tar splattered. We used gasoline out of a weed sprayer and immediately followed with a pressure washer. We noticed no damage afterward, even all the decals survived without any adverse affects. Last summer we did a semi trailer that was lightly splattered everywhere, we used carbrite sticker remover and a razor blade for two days. No damage however I was concerned that gasoline on this type of paint would be too aggressive. I have let the naptha soak for up to 30 seconds in places without damage. Acetone works very well too but is a little more expensive. When I used to spray bedliners we would always wipe the box down with acetone. It would also remove tree sap like magic. We always keep some around for sap.
August 25, 2011 06:07PM
bobm-
Gasoline !!!!!!!!! ?????? Do NOT use gasoline as anything but a fuel. It can ignite from friction, static electricity, a nearby cigarette, a spark from an electric motor, spark plug wire or generator etc. The vapors can travel along the ground or garage floor. And when it goes up, it ignites in a flash. Using gasoline to clean is out of the question. I'm sure OSHA would not approve of it too.

It isn't worth the risk of severe burns and a fate worse than life just to get the tar off.

I hope no one read this and assumed that if the pros use it, gasoline must be okay.

Doug
P.S. You can try citrus tar removers such as Goo Gone, CitriGel and that stuff I got at the dollar store ( Uh Oh . Here we go again ! ).
August 26, 2011 04:11AM
Doug, most chemicles we use every day for different prep procedures is flammable. Different paint thinners, acetone, naptha, alcohol, all flammable. There is no greater danger to gas or diesel above any of these other very flammable chems. Dont get me wrong, I have only used this cleaning method once but dont think for one second that a gas station is more dangerous around spark or flame than a body shop. Any time a chemicle is used there is danger.
August 26, 2011 01:38PM
I use mineral spirits or kerosene. Kerosene is oily and works best with a lot of tar. It should be washed off with soap and water.Most of the time I use mineral spirits.
September 01, 2011 07:00AM
Bob-
I'm not missing the chance to start a flame war over gasoline ! LOL

If you served in the Sherman tanks in WWII, you no doubt remember that they were nicknamed " Ronsons " by both the allied tankers and the Germans, a reference to the Ronson cigaret lighter. The German's also called them " Tommy Cookers ". Gotta love that NAZI sense of humor !
The reason for the nicknames was the M-4 Sherman's nasty habit of bursting into flames when hit by shells. German tanks ran on diesel and were harder to ignite.
This illustrates the difference between gas and other flammable or combustible liquids.

If you are too young to remember this, I'll bet Bud and Ketch can LOL .

Doug
September 02, 2011 12:50AM
Bud, Ketch, anybody, no? I guess its on me then. WWII Panzer, Tiger and King Tiger tanks were all powered by the V12 Maybach gasoline engine producing nearly 700 horsepower. These tanks carried 150 gallons of gasoline in the tank, could sustain nearly 40 mph. for about 80 miles before they would run out of gasoline. The Sherman only had 2" armor and a low velocity 75mm. main gun wich was unable to penetrate the Panzer's 4" armor at ranges beyond 150 yards. By contrast, the Panzer's 88 high velocity main gun had no problem punching right through the Sherman's 2" plate. All tanks burn up when the armor is breached.
September 03, 2011 04:36PM
Bob-
I was unaware that many German tanks were gasoline powered. I had read that German tanks were diesel ( and some of them were ), making them less likely to catch fire when hit.

Not all tanks burn up due to breached armor. Something has to ignite the fuel supply or something.

I'm not sure but you may be confusing the "Panzer" tanks with the "Panther" Tank, which seems like a forgivable error.

So while my information was wrong ( Not all German tanks ran on Diesel ), I'm inclined to believe there was some truth to the claim that diesel tanks had an advantage in burning resistance.

I did not mean to imply that the M-4 Sherman was equal to enemy tanks in other respects, BTW .

Doug
September 03, 2011 10:30PM
Heck, lets just put some wax on em and call it even, wait no, wax causes swirls remember? We dont want our tanks all swirlly now do we?
September 04, 2011 02:04AM
No gasoline no home remedies. Use a product produce by a legitimate chemical supplier and you will not have any problems.

We have a great Tar & Grease Remover that literlly dissolves the tar on the car and it runs down the side.

It is naptha-based but with other ingredients.

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 08, 2011 08:32AM
Bobm-
I'm starting the hoax that the Germans used Zaino on the Tiger Tanks, which accounts for the shells bouncing off of them. LOL

I've been watching the " Greatest Tank Battles " series on the Military Channel and imagine that clips from it are on YouTube. It is a fine series that employs computer images.

BTW- Some Russian T-34 tanks were rushed from the factories into battle so fast, they were not even painted, let alone waxed. ( Uh Oh. Better call Maaco )lol

By Bill's logic, if you wax a tank in wartime and a year later, the exterior is dented, scratched and holed, it must have been the wax that did the damage....

Doug
September 08, 2011 02:06PM
I knew a guy that was in the tank corp, and he decided that for a inspection that he should have a shiny tank . He wiped it down with baby oil to make it shine . He got in a little trouble , they told him that tanks are not supposed to shine ..Another friend of mine was in the army and had a Jeep . He also liked shiny cars so he rubbed the Jeep down with rubbing compond by hand and then waxed it . They took the Jeep away from him , and told him that military stuff doesent shine , it just needs to be clean.
September 09, 2011 12:39PM
Gosh, that Zaino is some tough wax! :-) I too have enjoyed the Greatest Tank Battle series, and many other great programming on the military channel. I guess my 93 chevy pickup must be a military issue 'cause that poor bugger has not been shined up in 3 years!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login